Each Era's Drum Solos

Larry

"Uncle Larry"
I was thinking about how all the different eras had their signature drum solos, Sing Sing Sing in the 40's, Topsy in the 50's, Wipe Out and In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida in the 60's, Moby Dick in the 70's, and that's where I drew a blank. What great solos am I missing? Any era.

CTA - "I'm a man" w/ Danny Seraphine
Steely Dan - "Aja" w/ Steve Gadd

I'll try to think of some 80's, 90's, and beyond.

I'm a man! Yes!

Hawaii 5-0 in the 60's

BTW In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida in a conniption of "In the Garden of Eden"
My apologies if everybody probably already knows this

Drum solos for the present....

Travis Barkers 8th note rock beats while head banging even harder than he bangs his drums?

It is a fact, The drum solo is rare today. If you listen to pop songs, you will find that there is not a great deal of guitar leads in the music of today either. Its all about the idol singer! The closest thing that there is to a drum solo is the grooves of Hip-Hop! Wait, What goes around comes around! The drum solo will make a comeback in the near future. So keep practicing your solo moves. I do.

It is a fact, The drum solo is rare today. If you listen to pop songs, you will find that there is not a great deal of guitar leads in the music of today either. Its all about the idol singer! The closest thing that there is to a drum solo is the grooves of Hip-Hop! Wait, What goes around comes around! The drum solo will make a comeback in the near future. So keep practicing your solo moves. I do.

Good ob Bob...Yes I came to the same conclusion, where's OUR era's definitive drum solo? And who will be the person to create it?

We should make an American Idol type show, and the goal is to create THE drum solo of today

I can't believe I just said that, somebody, please smack me...

Good ob Bob...Yes I came to the same conclusion, where's OUR era's definitive drum solo? And who will be the person to create it?

We should make an American Idol type show, and the goal is to create THE drum solo of today
Can I be Simon? 2020202020202020

of course as long as i get too be Paula...........

i mean Randy!! yes thats the person i ment :-/
Drink four shots of vodka, Abuse your prescribed anti depressant med's, Wear to much makeup, and You will be Paula!

I was thinking about how all the different eras had their signature drum solos, Sing Sing Sing in the 40's, Topsy in the 50's, Wipe Out and In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida in the 60's, Moby Dick in the 70's, and that's where I drew a blank. What great solos am I missing? Any era.

For the 80s:

Neil Peart on Exit Stage Left

and Steve Smith, on Journey's Captured album.

Although those were both live solos, and you may be referring to studio solos.

well, the way i've looked at it:

40's and before - Snare centric (ala Buddy and Gene)
50s and 60s - tom centric (ala Wipe Out)
70s - Bonzo's famous Tom-bass-tom triplets that are still emulated to this day
80s - double bass centric
90s - looping drum beats (ala we don't need no stinking drummers, we have a machine!!)
00s - hrmm.... combination of real and electronic drums centric (ala linkin park and Hey!! maybe we could teach the drummer to use our machines!!)

in other unrealated news, i'm not a fan of rap, drum loops, or electronic drums. (hehehe)

Billy Cobham's 'One Word' solo is great.

I would also nominate Tony Williams' solo on 'Seven Steps to Heaven' as an era definer.

well, the way i've looked at it:

40's and before - Snare centric (ala Buddy and Gene)
50s and 60s - tom centric (ala Wipe Out)
50s - Max Roach's famous Tom-bass-tom triplets that are still emulated to this day
80s - double bass centric
90s - looping drum beats (ala we don't need no stinking drummers, we have a machine!!)
00s - hrmm.... combination of real and electronic drums centric (ala linkin park and Hey!! maybe we could teach the drummer to use our machines!!)

in other unrealated news, i'm not a fan of rap, drum loops, or electronic drums. (hehehe)

Back