Sonor Sonic Plus

yesric

I bought these 6-ply birch shells
9-ply bass& snare
German made. They are in excellent shape kept in house look brand new.I would
appreciate any ideas with replacing the heads,i could gig out with this set and haven't
played out out in about twenty years so not really up on what's out there.

I've always liked a deep melodic sound as in Ian Paice from
Deep Purple.These heads are the original ones and are barely scuffed
but i think replacing them might get me better results.

Actually the original heads are on the drums,just a few marks on them.I just
need advice as to what are the best heads on the market today.

Actually the original heads are on the drums,just a few marks on them.I just
need advice as to what are the best heads on the market today.

The best heads would be any heads but the originals. But seriously, for a deep melodic sound just go for a clear Remo emperor or Evans g2, and that should get you there. How does that snare sound? I always liked the Sonor hi-lite scandidavian birch and the phonic plus snares they made back in the 80's, but I don't think I've ever heard a sonic plus.

The best heads would be any heads but the originals. But seriously, for a deep melodic sound just go for a clear Remo emperor or Evans g2, and that should get you there. How does that snare sound? I always liked the Sonor hi-lite scandidavian birch and the phonic plus snares they made back in the 80's, but I don't think I've ever heard a sonic plus.

Thankyou.I intend on going Evans. Also,the snare is missing one tension rod and that
hasn't been easy to find.The set is all natural almost golden look.They really are beautiful.

yesric,

It should be noted that Remo today is NOT the Remo of 20 years ago.
The QC has gone in the perverbial "toilet" and you run a real chance of getting a head that sounds like "poo".
Its about a 50/50 split, so you spends yer money, you takes yer chances.

I remember, back around the last time you played out, Remo Legacy was THE head everyone was just starting to fall in love with (actually, that was more than 20 years ago, now that I think about it), but alas, they're long gone.
Fiberskin 3 replaced them, but its a different sound. Not as warm or fat, although I've heard that the FS3 in diplomat weight is close to the old Legacy in Ambassador weight.
Unfortuately, there is no other equivelent to these head by other makers, except maybe for some animal (goat) skin heads that are on the market these days.

I think you'll be happy with the Evans.
The Genera's were just hitting their stride the last time you played out and the current "G1" is today's equivelent of that.
The line has since morphed into, what is more or less, their standard head now.
Speaking of which, you may remember that the Blue Evans Hydraulic heads were "lighter" than the red ones....and they still make the blue ones (just a reminder/suggestion).

BTW, just get a set for the batter side and see how you like using the original heads on the resonant side.
I don't know about the particular heads that are on your kit now, but "factory heads" for lower line drums tend to be on the thin side and they often make excellent resonant side heads.
Check it out. You can always replace them if its not for you.

I understand the old Sonor Sonic kits were pretty nice, with a sound that belied its price.
I remember playing a new set of Sonorlites at a local music store back in '86, too.
Man, those babies were sweet!

Welcome back to the fray, my friend. =)

Elvis

yesric,

It should be noted that Remo today is NOT the Remo of 20 years ago.
The QC has gone in the perverbial "toilet" and you run a real chance of getting a head that sounds like "poo".
Its about a 50/50 split, so you spends yer money, you takes yer chances.

I remember, back around the last time you played out, Remo Legacy was THE head everyone was just starting to fall in love with (actually, that was more than 20 years ago, now that I think about it), but alas, they're long gone.
Fiberskin 3 replaced them, but its a different sound. Not as warm or fat, although I've heard that the FS3 in diplomat weight is close to the old Legacy in Ambassador weight.
Unfortuately, there is no other equivelent to these head by other makers, except maybe for some animal (goat) skin heads that are on the market these days.

I think you'll be happy with the Evans.
The Genera's were just hitting their stride the last time you played out and the current "G1" is today's equivelent of that.
The line has since morphed into, what is more or less, their standard head now.
Speaking of which, you may remember that the Blue Evans Hydraulic heads were "lighter" than the red ones....and they still make the blue ones (just a reminder/suggestion).

BTW, just get a set for the batter side and see how you like using the original heads on the resonant side.
I don't know about the particular heads that are on your kit now, but "factory heads" for lower line drums tend to be on the thin side and they often make excellent resonant side heads.
Check it out. You can always replace them if its not for you.

I understand the old Sonor Sonic kits were pretty nice, with a sound that belied its price.
I remember playing a new set of Sonorlites at a local music store back in '86, too.
Man, those babies were sweet!

Welcome back to the fray, my friend. =)

Elvis
Thankyou so much for your advice, i appreciate it very much.I have the passion back
again and i'm practicing about 3 hours a day.It's been a long time but i'm amazed at the
benefits from this forum and youtube.I love the fact that i can study Benny Greb or Vinnie
Colaiuta,Jo Jo Mayer and then work on my own technigue.

My local music store sells several sizes of tension screws. Try AMDrumparts.com and see what they may have. Measure them and try their site.

My local music store sells several sizes of tension screws. Try AMDrumparts.com and see what they may have. Measure them and try their site.

Thankyou.Things are looking up, my local dealer ordered the rods from Germany so i should have by next week.

yesric,

Quick question: Have you found that even though your technique may not be quite as "complex" as it was before you quit, that you seem to have gained a stronger sense of time?

I, myself, quit for about 8 years and found that when I got back into it, my drumming had "simplified" but my sense of time was so much stronger than I remember being before I quit.
My thinking is that maybe I needed the time off to purge some of the "junk" out of my head and allow the "good stuff" to come to the surface.

Just wondering if you're experiencing the same thing.

Elvis

yesric,

Quick question: Have you found that even though your technique may not be quite as "complex" as it was before you quit, that you seem to have gained a stronger sense of time?

I, myself, quit for about 8 years and found that when I got back into it, my drumming had "simplified" but my sense of time was so much stronger than I remember being before I quit.
My thinking is that maybe I needed the time off to purge some of the "junk" out of my head and allow the "good stuff" to come to the surface.

Just wondering if you're experiencing the same thing.

Elvis
To your question,yes i have.I haven't played in about 18 years with
anyone and i spent a couple of months jamming with a group of guys and i just felt
it really groove and i felt kind of unsure about what i was going to be like and the guys
just loved the way it moved.So i think my problem of not being into what was out over
twenty years ago and i really got into fusion,RTF,Jeff Beck and music of that genre and
then i lost the desire to play.Now i have this voracious appettite for it all over again and
am excited to play again.I agree that clearing your mind for what ever the reason,is very
healthy and brings a new perspective to how you apply it.I'm having fun again.

So I'm not an alien.
Good to know! =)

Odd how that happens, but what a great feeling, eh?

Have fun re-discovering your passion.

Have you set up a thread in the "Your Kit" section yet?
Would love to see those drums.

Elvis

So I'm not an alien.
Good to know! =)

Odd how that happens, but what a great feeling, eh?

Have fun re-discovering your passion.

Have you set up a thread in the "Your Kit" section yet?
Would love to see those drums.

Elvis
NO i'am waiting on tension rod for snare.Like i've said before the
set is in pristine shape, all natural wood finish.I will in about a week put on all the
new heads and set it up.

Oops, you did state that earlier, didn't you.

Well, set up a page on the kit, once you get it all together.
I'd love to see it.

Elvis

Back