IM TRYING TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION WITH THIS TITLE

OK I'll bite.
Things I like:
I like the way you hold the sticks
I like the snare control and ghost notes
you have definite rhythmic ideas (very important)
you play relaxed
I like how you didn't go "out of time" with the solo, you maintained a sense of the groove throughout
Your meter is steady, for all intents and purposes

Things I could do without:

the volume of your ride, too overpowering (could have been the recording) I'd try to lower the right hand volume only and finesse the ride more

Great! Very relaxed sounding, I love it how you keep the hihats going, and your snare work is very nice. Keep up the great drumming.

Like someone else said above, nice steady meter, just need to tighten up the smaller subdivisions a little and watch the ride volume as was already pointed out. but still, cool playing, nice ideas and overall good feel. Keep it up.

Well, that can be included in what I said, but overall I just mean that you should strive to make every note you play, be it quarter, 8th, 16th, 32nd, etc. hit right where it's supposed to so that things don't sound stuttery. I mainly hear it in your ghost notes (not horrible or anything, just where i heard it most). They can be damn hard to get down precisely. It's common to just drag your hand along or mash notes in there instead of focusing on precise hits with precise separation and dynamics, which throws off a groove. This is where it's good to have a grasp of reading music since you'll have the right sense of when/where every note is supposed to go. You mainly did a good job, just have to tighten things up (so do I).

A great help is to practice 16th note single strokes, always to a click, accenting first the 1 and ghost noting the remaining 3 notes in each bar (the "e", the "and", and the "ah"). Then do the same with the "e", then the "and", and then the "ah" all in the same fashion, and don't break the single stroke pattern. the downbeats (the 1 and the "and") will be played with the same hand, and the upbeats (the "e" and the "ah") will be played with the opposite hand. when you have it down, then do the same exercise, but double up the unaccented notes so you are playing 32nds. Do it to a click because the click doesn't lie.You should also practice different 16th note phrasings in this same fashion, and it's especially great if you read them.

Oh, I see what your saying. My ghost notes have always eluded me, because I've never had a teacher (however, I did just start taking lessons). Thanks for the bit of advice, I'll bring it up with my teacher.

Nice...

I'm impressed with your ride cymbal/bass foot syncopation! Nicely done. Smooth and on time. All the best to you and your drumming.

And thanks for posting that clip. Well Done!

;-)

Last edited:
thanks everyone!!! i appreciate any feedback and i hope to get some more!

I'm no pro...hell I'm barely an intermediate, but I must say that I was having fun watching you have fun there! Those ghost notes are something that I have barely begun to comprehend let alone play. By the way, what cymbals do you use?

im really glad you enjoyed it blasterbeats.
i have a 17" A custom crash (on the right), a 18" A Custom on the left (i dont think you can see it), a broken piece of garbage ZHT Mastersound Hi-Hat 14", 20" A Custom Ping Ride, and 20" Sound Effect Zildjian china.

this threads a little old but I dig the video. I especially like your washy ride playing. A lot of wash, will all the little bell and tip accents thrown in. That's why I <3 my 21" Sweet Ride, great for that kind of stuff.

hehehe its never too old. let's keep it alive! thanks again everyone, i'm gonna be making a new solo soon

ok cool man just tell us when you get it up. and very nice playing bro it has a great feel

Back