groove essentials 2.0

NUTHA JASON

Senior Administrator
stunning. i got the dvd and chart on tuesday and i've been exploring it. lovely work from one of the top educators. this time tommy even stretches out a bit and plays some mean fills and ends in the demos. 52 grooves covered including brushwork. beautifully shot and the sound quality is ace. tommy's character shines through. i'm definitely going to buy the play-along book.

j

571013.jpg

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more. Worth every penny!

I got this a while ago, and I was just a little disappointed. I bought the first one as a teaching tool, to use during lessons and to let my students borrow it between lessons. I bought 2.0 thinking that it might have a little somethin' for ME to learn. Nope. Didn't happen. If only we could combine the practicalness of Igoe's DVDs with the material level of Marco's and Lang's...

This one you see a little more of the "raw" Igoe come out. He seems a little cocky and unconcerned about having his personality shine--makes for an entertaining viewing. I would recommend it for people who enjoyed and learned from the first go 'round.

I purchased the DVD a few weeks ago and enjoy it very much.

His DW twisted kit looks great. I noticed he switched from Remo to Evans also.

I have the original groove essentials, and in my first year of drumming I got no further then the 16th note beats. I will get it of the shelf again soon and see if I can do something with those funk beats...

2.0 is to much for me yet I think...

So should I go through the 1st groove essentials dvd before trying 2.0?

Yes, nhzoso, I think it would be worthwhile to do that, but it depends on your level, I suppose..

Well, I must say, I have 1.0 and it is really good..However, I would have to agree with Caddy on this one..Although the quality is excellent, the grooves & songs are not that groundbreaking, really, except the odd time and brush tracks, which are excellent..he does play more fill ins, but there isn't much in terms of construction..I, too, was disappointed.

If you have 1.0, work that, and 2.0 is not as "important" in establishing your "essentials"..

Plus..the "cocky" thing just doesn't work for me..His attitude is a little over the top, which kind of makes me a little put off. Some humbleness would work better...I'll just leave it at that..

So, overall, I would say "sort of" worth it..

Sounds like a "must have" product, IMO like his 1st.

Igoe order it now... ;)

If only we could combine the practicalness of Igoe's DVDs with the material level of Marco's and Lang's...

There's really nothing in this that you can learn from? You must be a top player! Igoe's tone and technique is something for any drummer to strive for, a model pro.

Plus..the "cocky" thing just doesn't work for me..His attitude is a little over the top, which kind of makes me a little put off. Some humbleness would work better...I'll just leave it at that..

He's not cocky at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItRRRwaB2bA

He is a proud and inspiring musician, who actually takes time to explain the exact musical function of grooves. He speaks with provenance because he has earnt his stripes. I enjoy his humour and insight.

Marco and Lang.........show ponies. But as they say, different strokes for different folks. If you want a flashy DVD, you should of read the title of "GROOVE ESSENTIALS".

I got this a while ago, and I was just a little disappointed. I bought the first one as a teaching tool, to use during lessons and to let my students borrow it between lessons. I bought 2.0 thinking that it might have a little somethin' for ME to learn. Nope. Didn't happen. If only we could combine the practicalness of Igoe's DVDs with the material level of Marco's and Lang's...

This one you see a little more of the "raw" Igoe come out. He seems a little cocky and unconcerned about having his personality shine--makes for an entertaining viewing. I would recommend it for people who enjoyed and learned from the first go 'round.

I don't mean to sound rude, but you get nothing from either 1.0 or 2.0? That's just stupid.
If you can't find any challenges in these DVDs/Books, then you have a serious problem regarding personal insight. I haven't heard you play, but I'm 99% sure that you can find TONS of stuff to work with in these books/DVDs.
If not, I want to hear the medium samba, recorded on a 1st take - GO!!!

Okey, again, I don't want to sound rude, but all I'm saying is that these books and DVDs are worth it's weight in gold x 100. The play-along tracks are wonderful, the recording possibilities are GREAT and the quest for better feel and groove NEVER ENDS! :)

If only we could combine the practicalness of Igoe's DVDs with the material level of Marco's and Lang's...

i guess its a personal taste thing. i'd rather be as versatile, expressive and neat as igoe than as choppy as marco or lang. i'd rather have had tommy's career than the other two blokes too. he's my kind of drummer.

j

Tommy Igoe is a great guy, a great drummer and a great educator. Tommy Lang is a a great guy, a great drummer and a great educator. And there is certainly a place in drumming for both.

I think that one needs to be realistic about what drummers do professionally on a day in, day out basis if one is thinking about drumming as a profession. Dennis Chambers said at a recent clinic that most of his money still even today comes from playing soundtracks. I don't think that a drummer like Tommy Lang or Marco Minnimann could sit in the pit of the Lion King and be happy. But if you decide to do this as a profession, steady work like that is stuff that musicians drool over.

Tommy's book was a god send to me because I work with a lot of younger kids 10-14 who just could not play fast, so the slow tempos allowed them to have fun playing the tracks without a struggle.

I ordered 2.0 and I am looking forward to working through the book.

He's not cocky at all.

He speaks with provenance because he has earnt his stripes..

Provenance?? That means he is the originator and "owns" something..There are MANY GREAT drummers who have "provenance" who are the most humble, inspiring, and motivational people in the world..without the extra mustard..One of which has passed away in Louie Bellson. Peter Erskine, Steve Gadd, I can go on, having talked to those two in particular, are the most "provenant" drummers in the world, and yet are the most humble..

"Earning the strips" doesn't earn you the right to give off so much vibe.

So, it's not just the message, it's the delivery..again, my opinion.

I don't mean to sound rude, but you get nothing from either 1.0 or 2.0? That's just stupid.
If you can't find any challenges in these DVDs/Books, then you have a serious problem regarding personal insight. I haven't heard you play, but I'm 99% sure that you can find TONS of stuff to work with in these books/DVDs.
If not, I want to hear the medium samba, recorded on a 1st take - GO!!!

Okey, again, I don't want to sound rude, but all I'm saying is that these books and DVDs are worth it's weight in gold x 100. The play-along tracks are wonderful, the recording possibilities are GREAT and the quest for better feel and groove NEVER ENDS! :)

Wow! That's quite a reaction. I was simply stating my thoughts/opinions about this particular product. It sounds as if I've personally offended you. I wasn't trying to, I swear.

...oh, and for the record, I don't have a serious problem.

i guess its a personal taste thing. i'd rather be as versatile, expressive and neat as igoe than as choppy as marco or lang. i'd rather have had tommy's career than the other two blokes too. he's my kind of drummer.

j

I don't like the "chops factory" sound of Marco or Lang that much either. I didn't get much out of their DVDs besides a bunch of exercises that work on technique technique technique. I was hoping for more music music music...

What I was trying to say was that I wish someone would make a DVD that took the groove of Igoe and applied it to the technical level of either Lang or Marco. Applying groove to highly technical and fast patterns is a feat that can be somewhat difficult, and I think that the drumming world would benefit from an educational medium, probably a DVD, that would address this area in an accessible, albeit advanced, way.

What I'm saying, I guess, is that I'm waiting for Groove Essentials 3.0 to come out...

Caddy

I'm sure you are aware of these, but in particular, Pat Petrillo's DVD/Book does what you are suggesting in a BIG way, as does Todd Sucherman's, and Gavin Harrison's is excellent as well..

I liked his 1st package and have given it to a couple of students who worked really hard. I wish I could play the disc from the book on a regular CD player though, which is all I have in the room where I teach. A pity it is made for pc only.

I have used the text. I don't have a copy anymore. I gave the last one to a student who had been practicing hard. I am interested in checking out the new one.

Wow! That's quite a reaction. I was simply stating my thoughts/opinions about this particular product. It sounds as if I've personally offended you. I wasn't trying to, I swear.

...oh, and for the record, I don't have a serious problem.

Hehe, well, like I said, I didn't want to sound rude, but maybe it got the better of me.
Even though it's your opinion and all that, I still can't believe that if you truly dig into this you won't find great challenges. I can find tons just focusing on the rock chapter, and I've been playing for 9 years and counting. But hey - if it doesn't float you boat, that's fine! =)

Back