Buying a new kit.

joshisaces

Gold Member
Okay, so this year my goal is to get a new kit. I really wanted a Tama superstar hyperdrive, and I kept on talking about buying it new. I then remembered that there were tons of deals on craigslist. The thing is, I really wanted the hyperdrive because of the kind of setup I was going to do. I was going to just use the 12" 14" and 16" for a 1 up 2 down setup, and that's why I wanted the Tama. I don't know what to do.

I saw a super nice blue yamaha 6 pc oak custom on craigslist for $1000, which is less money than the Tama NEW! hmmmmmm :(

here are the yammies:
http://pensacola.craigslist.org/msg/1038797462.html

HELP.

Okay, so this year my goal is to get a new kit. I really wanted a Tama superstar hyperdrive, and I kept on talking about buying it new. I then remembered that there were tons of deals on craigslist. The thing is, I really wanted the hyperdrive because of the kind of setup I was going to do. I was going to just use the 12" 14" and 16" for a 1 up 2 down setup, and that's why I wanted the Tama. I don't know what to do.

I saw a super nice blue yamaha 6 pc oak custom on craigslist for $1000, which is less money than the Tama NEW! hmmmmmm :(

here are the yammies:
http://pensacola.craigslist.org/msg/1038797462.html

HELP.

That's an awesome kit for a grand. They don't even make that (superb) color anymore.

I'd stick with Tama but.. that's me. I think they are more than just well made plus you can't beat the quality for the price as far as the type that you want. Make sure you keep that Rockstar set! They don't make them anymore and they are hard to find. Other than Tama, take a look at Ddrum. You can get a killer pro quaility set for just under $1000.

I'd stick with Tama but.. that's me. I think they are more than just well made plus you can't beat the quality for the price as far as the type that you want. Make sure you keep that Rockstar set! They don't make them anymore and they are hard to find. Other than Tama, take a look at Ddrum. You can get a killer pro quaility set for just under $1000.

Yeah, I'm keeping the Rockstar as a family air loom. hahaah.

That was the first thing my parents bought after their wedding! That's friggin' nuts...

I'll keep my eye out for other kits on craigslist that would fit into my wanted configuration.

That's an awesome kit for a grand. They don't even make that (superb) color anymore.

That was just an example of a good deal. I don't even have the money yet, but I'm saving up this year to hopefully get a new kit by the end of the year or maybe even earlier.

I just started saving up and have $193. What sucks is that my birthday and Christmas is at the end of the year, and that's when I get like my funding for the year to come. It's what I buy my drum gear with.

Set aside from the $193 is another $100 so I don't feel like I just blew ALL of my money :p
That way I'll still have money after I buy a new kit. Smart thinking, eh?

Just start saving money. No sense getting too hung up on what you're gonna get a year from now. A year (or 10 months) is a long ways off, and who knows what deals are gonna be around when you finally have some cash. As far as the Tama vs. Yamaha presented here, I'd go with the Yamaha. It's a pro-level kit. The Tama is an intermediate level kit. Sam Ash is selling the Tama 5 piece shell pack for $699.

An intermediate set from Tama isn't a bad set. Ask Jason Bittner. He's toured the world with a so called "intermediate Kit"

Just start saving money. No sense getting too hung up on what you're gonna get a year from now. A year (or 10 months) is a long ways off, and who knows what deals are gonna be around when you finally have some cash. As far as the Tama vs. Yamaha presented here, I'd go with the Yamaha. It's a pro-level kit. The Tama is an intermediate level kit. Sam Ash is selling the Tama 5 piece shell pack for $699.

I wanted a specific kit configuration though, which requires a shallow high tom so I can place my high tom lower. My tama tom that I have right now is like 12 x 10 which makes it hard to place it wherever I want. But I agree that the yamaha is a better deal.

An intermediate set from Tama isn't a bad set. Ask Jason Bittner. He's toured the world with a so called "intermediate Kit"
Honestly, what Jason Bittner has toured the world with has absolutely no bearing on my opinion. The Hyperdrive kit is a $700 drumset. The Yamaha kit is a $1700 (new). Given the choice of which drumset I'd rather own, the Yamaha wins, hands down. Better drums, better hardware.

Honestly, what Jason Bittner has toured the world with has absolutely no bearing on my opinion. The Hyperdrive kit is a $700 drumset. The Yamaha kit is a $1700 (new). Given the choice of which drumset I'd rather own, the Yamaha wins, hands down. Better drums, better hardware.

The yammies are definitely better sound/quality wise, yes...

Back