What First Inspired You

listen to the red hot chili peppers when i was younger inspired me. I would always be hittin stuff to the beat of music (or at least trying). Then one day my mom asked me if i wanted to start an instrument and so it began.

DRUM IT SELF!!
When I was a little kid, I watched TV and that was the first I saw drum kits, I found the instrument was special, I asked my mom the usage of drums.
I remember when I was 4th grade and I was in the choir, I thought the bass drum was very cool and I wanted to play it.
few years ago, I was introduced to the rock scene, I first thought those rock musicians were "cool",
now I listen to progressive metal and I find drumming is the best thing in the world!

Grunge. The music of the 80s is what I grew up listening to, but when the 90s came around, it was powerful for me. Still is...

you're about ten years older than i am caddywumpus, but my cousins were huge grunge fans that would always introduce me to things...i had long hair growing up, and they were like the only bands with longish hair that were being thrown my way, although i was learning about them later than they had been released into the world. Anyway, i figured that thats the kind of person i was, especially dave grohl, the way that he would thrash around...ah, it must have been amazing for you.

My mother was a concert pianist. Her whole side of the family is in music and show business. I took piano lessons from 3 til about 13 also playing trumpet and guitar.

At 17 I rebelled against all of my formal music training and started playing drums because of a friend/neighbor. In 1980 it was about playing drums to Led Zeppelin, AC/DC and the Rolling Stones.

My mother inspired me because she was cool with whatever instrument I wanted to play as long as there was at least one and I played it once a week.

Ya heard me. My momma inspired me.

It sounds stupid, but it was probably the movie Wayne's World. You know the scene when Garth goes into the shop and does the drum solo? I was like "Wow, I wanna do that!" :p

It sounds stupid, but it was probably the movie Wayne's World. You know the scene when Garth goes into the shop and does the drum solo? I was like "Wow, I wanna do that!" :p

that's hilarious!

i started as a little kid when i was in an "air band" with my sister and our neighborhood friends. we'd put on records and pretend to play along. i had a drum kit made out of cardboard boxes. my sister is now a professional guitarist and i'm still playing drums (for fun).

i think i got my inspiration from listening to my older brother and twin jam out with guitars so i figured i'd give drums a swing and once i got them it was like love at first sight. i got sucked up into quick and started studying drummers like mitch mitchell and john bonham the most and it seems to have stuck with me.

Oh yea and this drummer who played at my church i always found myself tapping out the rhythm with my hands. but that was when i was young and my mom didn't think i needed a drumset lol.

First it was RINGO & the whole British invasion thing...
then Buddy Rich :)

buddy rich is amazing, i'm not much into jazz but he makes me wanna learn some of his licks for damn sure.

My dad had a couple of records by Sandy Nelson. One was 'Drumming up a storm", but the other titles escape me. I got hooked on the jungle beats and 'surf' music. Then The Shadows would come out, and The Beatles. Actually a lot of sixties brit rock.
Then my Grandad introduced me to Gene Krupa and big band music.
I think I had some darn good inspiration!

Last edited:
Well...

to, once again, repeat myself...

seeing Buddy Rich on the Tonight Show circa 1973. THAT, my friends, was the "seed forever sown".

;-)

Last edited:
Funnily enough my mother. And Karen Carpenter!

Mother was a singer and loved jazz drummers. I picked up pencils very early on but it took a while to get a kit.

Karen Carpenter was loved by dad and I watched her drum on TV and that helped to inspire. Also Hal Blaine with the Tijuana brass and the Beach boys and of course the Carpenters. Both Hal Blaine and Earl Palmer are HUGE influences on me.

I never really got inspired by famous drummers until 3-6 months atleast into my drumming. Any drummers though that I saw when I was younger, if they sucked or not I couldn't tell, made me want to be able to learn to drum. I don't know what made me so fascinated about them; I guess it was the way that they carried the beat and tempo.

Hearing someone playing hi-hats in a music room at school and that dance scene from The Mask with Jim Carrey. Sad but true

Funnily enough my mother. And Karen Carpenter!

Mother was a singer and loved jazz drummers. I picked up pencils very early on but it took a while to get a kit.

Karen Carpenter was loved by dad and I watched her drum on TV and that helped to inspire. Also Hal Blaine with the Tijuana brass and the Beach boys and of course the Carpenters. Both Hal Blaine and Earl Palmer are HUGE influences on me.

Oh Yes!

KC was very inspirational to many.

Absolutely! ;-)

When I first started I didn't really have an influence, I just wanted to play the drums hah.
now i'd say thomas pridgen hahaha

I was playing clarinet in 5th grade band. I had to get braces, and the orthodontist said he did not want anything in my mouth, so I picked up the snare drum.

At first I did not really want to do it, but I stuck it out. Then my parents bought me a full drumset for christmas one year. That did it for me. I was hooked.

It was around the same time that I really started to listen to Drummers.

And then I discovered Bonham....I wanted to be the next Bonham. That did not work out but I still love playing the drums.

I can't remember NOT wanting to be a drummer. I remember as a young kid (very early 60's) going to parades and just being fascinated by the drum lines. I can recall on some of those occasions going home and forming a 'parade' of my own, marching while using anything I could hit to be a drum, Its cliche to say it, but in my case its true, Ringo was major. I was 7 or 8 when they hit the Ed Sullivan stage. My mom had some 45's that included Sandy Nelson's "Let there be Drums" that I could listen to for hours. Dave Clark Five ruled! Buddy Rich on TV, I was glued to it. The opening drums from Hogan's Heroes had me wanting to play along every time! LOL Lots of things then and later have fueled my love of drumming.

and for anybody who'd like to check it out:
Let There be Drums

Lyle

Last edited:
Back