Improving your single bass playing

So, in your opinion how much dev''t is required on single bass in order for one to move to double bass? Is there a guideline? should a drummer be at a certain speed with one foot before he goes to two?
I don't play double bass but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this. Reason is I have been playing for 25 years and only recently thought of moving to double bass.
But I'll say one thing, I wish I had started on double bass a long time ago, I think if you can control it and use it tastefully it is a huge asset for any drummer.
The dev't on your weak leg alone is worth it.
JMO

So, in your opinion how much dev''t is required on single bass in order for one to move to double bass? Is there a guideline? should a drummer be at a certain speed with one foot before he goes to two?
I don't play double bass but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this. Reason is I have been playing for 25 years and only recently thought of moving to double bass.
But I'll say one thing, I wish I had started on double bass a long time ago, I think if you can control it and use it tastefully it is a huge asset for any drummer.
The dev't on your weak leg alone is worth it.
JMO

develope your single foot in order to play the music required.
Yes double bass in a HUGE asset if used tastelfully.
Don't get me wrong I LOVE double bass stuff and try to fit it in if I can find a spot that wont screw up the song LOL
I beieve if it can be done with one use 1
after a certain point you'll need to use 2
Learn Bonzo and Ian pace licks and watch JO JO
Ian Pace used 2 bassdrums on fireball but I thought he used one and just about killed my leg trying to keep up with one foot LOL
Tim

Hey Tim I take this as a great privilege to converse with a professional drummer. Ok so my question is, when you are building your double bass speed to extreme speeds, is it normal to feel your muscles burn and develop them as if lifting weights, or is that just the cause of poor technique?

Hey Tim I take this as a great privilege to converse with a professional drummer. Ok so my question is, when you are building your double bass speed to extreme speeds, is it normal to feel your muscles burn and develop them as if lifting weights, or is that just the cause of poor technique?
I NEVER play to a burn.
When I was playing fireball years ago yes my lre was buring but as I developed my technique the more I relax the faster I go and the more CONTROL I have.
If you want to play to a burn to release caustic acid to build muscles I suggest you contact a fitness expert to find out how to do this properly
I KNOW way too many drummers who have injured themselved by pushing too much too soon.
Tim

I NEVER play to a burn.
When I was playing fireball years ago yes my lre was buring but as I developed my technique the more I relax the faster I go and the more CONTROL I have.
If you want to play to a burn to release caustic acid to build muscles I suggest you contact a fitness expert to find out how to do this properly
I KNOW way too many drummers who have injured themselved by pushing too much too soon.
Tim

Tim, was there EVER a time when you actually played to a burn in your legs? because i built up my speed by getting to that threshold. I never injured myself and now blasting is effortless to me, even over an hour long set, but i specifically remember the regimen it took me to get to this level was wrought with pain and burn along the way, especially starting out when i had no muscle tone and no endurance.

Hmm this subject kind of confuses me, because when I first started out, my muscles were not capable of holding 16th notes and at the end of the first few weeks I would feel soreness in my legs, but since it has gone away I am able to do this kind of stuff without after, so my real question now is: do you play at first just to build this muscle and then focus on the techniques required for high speeds, or do you do as dio says and play as you did in your first couple of weeks to build the muscles, but to more of an extreme extent? Thanks for the help by the way.

Hmm this subject kind of confuses me, because when I first started out, my muscles were not capable of holding 16th notes and at the end of the first few weeks I would feel soreness in my legs, but since it has gone away I am able to do this kind of stuff without after, so my real question now is: do you play at first just to build this muscle and then focus on the techniques required for high speeds, or do you do as dio says and play as you did in your first couple of weeks to build the muscles, but to more of an extreme extent? Thanks for the help by the way.

Always start slowly and work your way up.
developing the Techniques just allow you do so tension free and NO Pain
I am constantly developing my technique so it makes my JOB easier
I am playing music 4 or 5 sets a night 6 times a week so this will help to build the endurance.
Tim

So possibly your muscles are building as you practice, but you don't do it as extensive as dio is saying, but you have just been doing it for a long time so your muscles are used to it and relaxed. Or are you trying to say you move your feet and legs in a certain motion to where it wont be tiresome to your body.

Just posted a video
IMHO some drumers spend too much time working on double bass without developing the single bass first.
Maybe this will help
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=rOFXt0osG6c&feature=email
Tim

Ain't that the truth! I get the feeling that many drummers only become aware of the existence of their left foot when there is a bass pedal under it!

Given the very limited applications for double bass, I am amazed at how much fascination to holds over so many. It's got to be the single most popular topic in the technique and other gear threads.

If John Bonham had played double bass, I think this board would speak of nothing else in any thread.

Tim, was there EVER a time when you actually played to a burn in your legs? because i built up my speed by getting to that threshold. I never injured myself and now blasting is effortless to me, even over an hour long set, but i specifically remember the regimen it took me to get to this level was wrought with pain and burn along the way, especially starting out when i had no muscle tone and no endurance.

If i feel my muscles getting sore from playing too long I just slow down to take the tension off.
Tim

I've watched that video and watched the crap pedal video too. I think this will NEVER work on crap single pedal. Because I have to practice in the band rooms from instrument stores and I know it is very hard to work on slow response bass pedal.

But nice video anyway, since many drummers rely on double bass, and they are not accurate enough.

I've watched that video and watched the crap pedal video too. I think this will NEVER work on crap single pedal. Because I have to practice in the band rooms from instrument stores and I know it is very hard to work on slow response bass pedal.

But nice video anyway, since many drummers rely on double bass, and they are not accurate enough.

hey tim! how are you?

I am starting to practice that... i am doing 30 bpm (4 hits per beat) and i will increase 2 bpm every week... i practice only from wednesday-sunday cause mondays and tuesdays i am busy for 16 hrs on my job and college and dont have any chance on the drumset.. so basically i practice to improve my single pedal technique 15 mins on morning, and 15 minutes on afternoon. 30 bpm this week (4 hits per beat) and i am planning on increasing 2 bmp weekly.

Is this a good routine to build up my technique in an accurate and very efficient way?

any adjustment or recommendation? what do you think about it? :)

hey tim! how are you?

I am starting to practice that... i am doing 30 bpm (4 hits per beat) and i will increase 2 bpm every week... i practice only from wednesday-sunday cause mondays and tuesdays i am busy for 16 hrs on my job and college and dont have any chance on the drumset.. so basically i practice to improve my single pedal technique 15 mins on morning, and 15 minutes on afternoon. 30 bpm this week (4 hits per beat) and i am planning on increasing 2 bmp weekly.

Is this a good routine to build up my technique in an accurate and very efficient way?

any adjustment or recommendation? what do you think about it? :)
YES starting slow and working your up is great for building accuracy and endurance
keep us posted on your progress
Tim

Back