My kit design---mic setup suggestions

Whoa, dude. You have neutrik speakon on the firestudio, It takes both 1/4" AND xlr cables. Don't ditch the xlrs, they're better for your mic's.

Again, you are right. I have to quit doing this stuff in the wee hours. The jacks are speakeron and simply have a relief where the pins will fit in. I think my final issue is that I am digging up my windows vista liscence so I can get on with life and install the rest. I managed to get connectivity and the basics done before the new fascist install prompt comes in to activate online. Now where did I put that hack....err authentication paperwork...

Again, you are right. I have to quit doing this stuff in the wee hours. The jacks are speakeron and simply have a relief where the pins will fit in. I think my final issue is that I am digging up my windows vista liscence so I can get on with life and install the rest. I managed to get connectivity and the basics done before the new fascist install prompt comes in to activate online. Now where did I put that hack....err authentication paperwork...

Well i was going to suggest sticking it on your computer but i realise that you probably don't have one of them :p

Well i was going to suggest sticking it on your computer but i realise that you probably don't have one of them :p

:p I wondered why my abacus had such a slow refresh rate...

I got the mics connected, and I found the OEM install disc for vista, hopefully the serial number is good.

I should be squared away soon.

Updated.

The software is installed and running. Everything is connected. This weekend, I will attempt to record.

The overheads are aligned, and "crossed" to prevent phase issues.

I am going to watch the "demystifying cubase" before I do anything more.

And of course download the twenty gigs of vista updates a new install requires.

I still want to pick up an emad tomorrow.

Last edited:
In terms of recording the bass drum it's really better to damp the shell rather than the head.

The shell is *very* live and I will address that but...

I feel that I have always gotten quicker rebound from an emad than and emad II. 2-ply kick heads (for me) seem to absorb too much input energy.

Cubase LE 4 is not limited to 4 inputs at once. I use it all the time with 8 mics on my firepod. btw make sure to download all the updates from steinberg, It may be more likely to crash without the updates.

Wayne

Ok. The sales dude (Mr. "I have a studio") swore that it was software limited to 4 channels, and thus forcing me to hack...err upgrade. He was all too ready to sell me a $250 or $600 upgrade, to which I said "I need to familiarize myself with the software and setup the system before I go A.. over teakettle and upgrade."

Incidentally, I was listening to some powered monitors. The Dynaudio were impressive, but I am considering a less expensive (powered) alternative. I have to check out some Tannoy, Mackie and some Behringer truth.

I've heard some Genelecs that sounded real good. I don't think they were cheap though.

The guy I talked to had some $3K Genelecs. Like ATC 10's, they are brutally expensive for mini monitors. I had some passive ATC SCM 12 2-ways and they needed kilowatts to breathe...no kidding.
SCM12-Pro.jpg

He *swears* to me the 8" $359/pr Behringer truth hold their own against $800 Mackies.

Last edited:
Actually, even considering everything I've said about Behringer products, the Truth monitors are apparently very good for the money, so that may be true!

Strange world, isn't it?

If you were to combine your monitors with some cheapish but reasonable sized hi-fi speakers then you'd be able to check them better for translation as well.
The most important thing with monitoring is knowing your speakers, though. If you know how they sound then you can more or less mix on anything (within reason). The ubiquitous Yamaha NS-10s would never have been popular if that wasn't true!

Last edited:
Actually, even considering everything I've said about Behringer products, the Truth monitors are apparently very good for the money, so that may be true!

Strange world, isn't it?

If you were to combine your monitors with some cheapish but reasonable sized hi-fi speakers then you'd be able to check them better for translation as well.
The most important thing with monitoring is knowing your speakers, though. If you know how they sound then you can more or less mix on anything (within reason). The ubiquitous Yamaha NS-10s would never have been popular if that wasn't true!

He has some ns-10's. I didn't get to hear them.

Long ago Yamaha made some passive NSM-1000's (IIRC) with beryllium mid and tweeter that were *way* past their time (and painfully expensive).

I am reading up on the "truths" for possible inclusion in my system. My goal again: reasonable tools at reasonable prices for decent home recording.

After auditioning some monitors all week, I decided the best bang for the buck under $1,200 a pair were the behringer truth. I picked up the larger set:
280618.jpg

There is so little difference between these and $900 a pair monitors it wasn't worth paying twice the money. Especially when using a sub.

I am mating them to a 12" Dayton titanic III 500-watt powered sub in sealed enclosure.

If I were to step up one day to truly higher performance, there are some $1,200 a pair MTM M-audio's that are amazing.

Re: dialing in monitors/new hihat

Update for Feb 2: I got the monitors dialed in. I believe that speakers take a few hours to loosen up, or "break in" before they are really as articulate as they are going to be. For the money, they do a very nice job. I dialed in the sub for about 50hz crossover, running in parallel. I will have to re-do level matching in a few days after the speakers are run in.

I have ordered some evans g-plus heads for my toms, and picked up a no-legged Gibraltar Ultra Adjust 9607NL hihat stand and clamp for my rack. It just got too cluttered with a "legged" stand.
9607uanl_lg.jpg

After auditioning some monitors all week, I decided the best bang for the buck under $1,200 a pair were the behringer truth. I picked up the larger set:
280618.jpg

There is so little difference between these and $900 a pair monitors it wasn't worth paying twice the money. Especially when using a sub.

I am mating them to a 12" Dayton titanic III 500-watt powered sub in sealed enclosure.

If I were to step up one day to truly higher performance, there are some $1,200 a pair MTM M-audio's that are amazing.

That's quite interesting, i'll definetly think about getting a pair of them myself. I don't think i'll bother with a sub though because i'm used to just having 2 8 inch speakers anyway.

Gibraltar

Here is my halftime report on the Gibraltar ultra-adjust hihat stand.

This thing is slick, smooth, and perfectly ergonomic. I never had a comfortable geometry and perfect placement like this with any straight stand. I should have bought this thing YEARS ago.

The hats aren't just close, they are out of the way, don't clutter the foot board area, and the hats tilt toward you in the most comfortable and easy to play geometry you can get.

Best hat stand I could have gotten!

280618.jpg

Glad you like them. Thats why they make different models for different people

Glad you like them. Thats why they make different models for different people

Speakers are one of the most impossible thing to recommend. I found in the world of hifi, there is *nothing* you can own at any price that will please everybody. Someone could recommend to me wisdom audio adrenaline at $100,000, and I could listen to them thinking that they were "too ethereal." and the normal arguments and recriminations ensue. Someone else recommends Magnepan 1.6q's and even though 4/5 people love them, one guy will dismiss them because they aren't expensive enough.

That, or someone tells me to stay far away from a certain brand. And I find out that they had the speakers poorly set up, poorly driven, poor source or not broken in and they formed an opinion on faulty grounds. There are as many variables on these products as there are people.

That was the annoying part about researching opinions. It was like an infinite loop. One person likes mackie. Next person says mackie is a waste, go with westlake. Then no, westlake is not that great go with genelec. Oh but genelec is too expensive. Mackie is 98% as resolving go with them. Hmmm... just did a 360 on that one...circular reference...back to start. Another highly subjective topic.

Last edited:
One more highly recommended thing:

I was watching Jojo Meyer's dvd out of the corner of my eye while setting up. It donned on me that lo these many months deployed, I can't possibly be properly limber.

I bought an HQ practice pad (because I hate the soft remo/moongel pads) and just kept playing for an hour while watching tv.

One issue. I play French/matched grip, I was never properly trained in traditional. I found that as a right-hander, using my right hand with traditional grip/left with French grip I did fine. Matched grip was fine. But if I tried left traditional/right French, my left wrist just didn't want to rotate or play with proper speed or authority. I really need to work on that. It was depressing to find that glaring weakness. Jojo says to use either grip...whichever works.

Back to the practice pad...I will make both work.

One thing i can recommend is go with 2 pairs of monitors, a higher end one and a cheaper one. Actually try to get the cheapest you can find. Your goal should be to make your mix sound good on either pair and then both pairs, simultaneously. I use a pair of micros, genelec 1029's next to a couple krk rockit 10's

Back