Regal Tip Blastick's

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
About a year ago I bought a pair of Regal Tip Blastick's. I bought them for some low volume gigs that I was doing with acoustic players and a female vocalist that I was working with at the time. I have always used brushes but I wanted something that is a slight bit louder. I soon found out that they were great for practicing. The low volume allowed me to really concentrate on my chops! The fact that they don't bounce as much as wooden sticks allowed me make great strides on my technique. I frequently use them to warm up at practice and before a gig. They are like ankle weights to a runner. When I switch back to my sticks I can play easier after using them. They sound wonderful on my 22" sizzler and my hats. They are masterful on the snare also! Do any of you guys and gals use them in this manner? If not, you should try them! Please share your experiences with them.

I love my Blastsicks, I use Vic Firth; I use them just as I would if I were playing with my sticks, needless to say I replace them a fair bit but the sound can be so right for the moment and the various musicians I play with like them too because they get to tone down them selves as well, some sessions can get just a little bit too loud for it to be as good as it could be. They record fantastic and you are right, after playing with them either in practice with your self or the band the switch to sticks present some interesting moments. The only drawback is that I find the volume level a little low on the cymbals but that is a minor point. I was jamming/rehearsing with some associates and decided to use the Blasticks with out mentioning it and we were playing a variety of tunes,SRV, Floyd etc. and all of the guys came down to my volume level automatically, the sound quality was very fine and easy on the ears. I don't see much response from anyone else to your thread but if any one else reads this and have not used them I highly recommend they pick up a pair. Thanks for the bringing it up.

Thanks for the reply Bruce, Perhaps this small thread will encourage some other folks to give them a try. I think that we just about covered things. I'm doing an unplugged style thing next week with my band for a local radio show. My Blastick's will be there!

The tour I was on this past October I used them every night on about 60% of the songs in a 2 hour show.
I also have my students use them when they are playing along to recorded music. This way they we can still hear the song over them playing in a small inclosed studio.

Ahead just came out with a version of the Blastick as well :)

I use them as well, certain songs during the night I will use them. A few of the tunes I use them on are: It a Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong), Moondance (Van Morrison), Feel so Right (Alabama) They're great.

I have a pair of these and use them all the time. Last night I played w/ the band and we worked on this crazy uptempo Celtic thing and I rocked a nice tom ostinato w/ them...the guitarist loved it.

They're great for the snare too, as someone else metioned...great feel and nice rimshot accents.

You need to post this in the Drum Gear section under Sticks. More people may find it.

I use them as well, certain songs during the night I will use them. A few of the tunes I use them on are: It a Wonderful World (Louis Armstrong), Moondance (Van Morrison), Feel so Right (Alabama) They're great.
I also use them on Moondance. I really like to play that classic tune.

I have used blasticks for years. They are great for quiet practise on the kit and excellent for low volume rehearsals with a band. I love them.

Back