Reading Music

synergy

To all the readers out there!

I have been playing for about 2 years and I have had a teacher for probably the last 6 months-

I have never been able to read music but I am just trying to start learning.

I am having a really hard time. I have been working with my teacher with some really basic drum notation-

I am finding it difficult to transmit what I am reading to my limbs.

Its just practice I know- I was just wondering if there was any tips or any help with making reading easier

To all the readers out there!

I have been playing for about 2 years and I have had a teacher for probably the last 6 months-

I have never been able to read music but I am just trying to start learning.

I am having a really hard time. I have been working with my teacher with some really basic drum notation-

I am finding it difficult to transmit what I am reading to my limbs.

Its just practice I know- I was just wondering if there was any tips or any help with making reading easier

Honestly, reading is just one of those things you have to do. However, one thing I suggest is writing out stuff that you know how to play. Figure out how it would be written, and actually jot it down. It will help you associate what your limbs are doing with what is on the paper, since you will be going from your limbs to the paper, as opposed to from the paper to your limbs.

Have you discussed your issues with your instructor? That should be the 1st person you go to. If you already have.. what was the outcome and suggestions? The only way to make reading music easier is to set aside time and focus on what your learning. In the beginning stages it can be very confusing and overwhelming but perseverence is key.

3 words... Practice, Patience & Perseverence. Thats a standard method for learning.

Sometimes there is the rare senario that your instructor might not be capable of teaching well. But, we will save that for later if it comes up.

Just out of curiosity, whats your age?

I have just turned 28- I know a late starter--

I know I have a lot to catch up on and a lot of practice is neccessary.

I just figured reading music is just like any learned skill- I was just wondering if there was any thing that you guys used to help you learn the skills.

I'm not after some secret that will allow me not to put any effort in but more any ideas etc that helped you while learning

No sweat buddy.

Asking questions is the right thing to do as long as your not trying to cut corners. I would speak with your instructor 1st and foremost. Find out what his opinions and suggestions are and if you feel the need to, run them by us here at Drummerworld. You will always have a huge source of information and help here.

That Guy is right. Again, try writing stuff, too, because I find it really helps my students grasp the concepts of how the weird little shapes on the page relate to your playing.

Back