Young Deaths

synergy

This post is by no means an attack on Moon and Bonham- I love them both.

I was just wondering that they both died at the Height of popularity- On top of their game.

We didnt get to see them get fat and old.... etc

Do you think we would still have looked back on some of their work the same if they had been allowed to get lazy and go in and out of rehab etc .

Try to make the old rockstar comeback - playing all the old great ones half as well.

I know I dont look at Page and Plant the same way with their later work-

Was just wondering if we would do the same to these two?

I guess there are many more of these types of sad stories but these are the two that first came to mind

This post is by no means an attack on Moon and Bonham- I love them both.

I was just wondering that they both died at the Height of popularity- On top of their game.

We didnt get to see them get fat and old.... etc

Do you think we would still have looked back on some of their work the same if they had been allowed to get lazy and go in and out of rehab etc .

Try to make the old rockstar comeback - playing all the old great ones half as well.

I know I dont look at Page and Plant the same way with their later work-

Was just wondering if we would do the same to these two?

I guess there are many more of these types of sad stories but these are the two that first came to mind

I don't think that what a person does in their later career redefines their earlier work. Look at Eric Clapton. Most people I know can't listen to most of his new music. But his early stuff, stuff with Cream, Derek and the Dominoes, and even his earlier Slowhand stuff was fantastic, and still is to this day. Just because he wrote Reptile and Father's Eyes doesn't take away from the fact that he did amazing things on Sunshine of Your Love and Crossroads.

Robert Plant did some singing thing with this folk singer chick, it is absolotley terrible.
I know he is not dead but you mentioned him in the first post.

Thats an interesting question Synergy. I tend to feel the way mrchattr does. Great musicians are great musicians period and staying on the 3rd cog of the machine (ref. The Dirt) is not easy. Some have pulled it off but most fall from grace eventually. Just because great musicians do not maintain the popularity and status they once had earlier in thier lives in no way devalues their contributions to music and history.

Robert Plant did some singing thing with this folk singer chick, it is absolotley terrible.

I've heard Raising Sand, the album that Robert Plant did with Folk Singer Chick (a.k.a. Alison Krauss). I can definitely see why some people would not care for it; the music is very low-key, so much so that it can put you to sleep. (However, if you actually want to go to sleep, then it might come in handy!) I actually like the way Robert Plant sings on this album because it sounds like he's sitting in his natural vocal range, as opposed to the high-pitched Led Zep screeching he did back in the old days. In regard to the original post: I believe that, had Moony and Bonzo managed to overcome their chemical addictions, they would have re-invented themselves musically as they grew older. It's probably true that most people would just want to listen to the Zep and Who back catalogues, but what matters is that those drummers would still be making music which has a personal meaning for them.

hmmm a lot of people don't argee with about that (maybe calling her a 'folk singer chick' gives away the fact you don't like folk)

http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/16272721/review/16928089/raising_sand
http://www.metacritic.com/music/artists/plantrobertandalisonkrauss/raisingsand
http://www.villagevoice.com/2007-10-16/music/robert-plant-alison-krauss-s-raising-sand/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/release/rwcz/

so maybe it just isn't to your liking.....which i think makes an interesting point on this topic, when something dies, or something is lost we tend to only remember the good things - we block the rubbish out - which is why we look back at such great artist's with a smile - while those still living can go out and make the odd rubbish album and still make a good one - Lennon made a few HORRIBLE albums before his death - he also made a great one.

but even when an artist who's been around a long time (mr. plant) makes a good one, people don't notice it so much - for 2 reason i think

1. it doesn't sound like their early work (it would be tragic if it did, your have to progress) so fans of the early stuff either grow with the artist or get left behind (or they just don't like it)
2. it just not interesting for the media - discovering the next MGMT-type band is far more news worthy than the latest Cure album being great - even though both of these bands are great - the new one will get more press...

so yeah - your kinda right - but who knows what6 would have happen. what's important is what happened and what these great artists left us. And thats why we remember them, because they were truly great. (i'm listening to Joy Division as i type this - he was pretty special)

My own hope would be that they would have re-invented and grown,

Its just we know what Daltry/Townsend, Plant/Page did-

We didnt get that chance with Moon and Bonham..

One of life's great What-IF's I suppose

the sad thing with dead famous musicians is we never get to see a Freddie Mercury-Jimi Hendrix-Jaco Pastorius-Neil Peart supergroup! only Neil is still alive sadly

That's actually a really good album. I don't own it, but I've heard a lot of it and it really is pretty damn good.

EDIT: I see this has already been covered much more eloquently by a previous poster.

I think the same happened with Brad Nowell from Sublime. For those of you who are not familliar with Sublime, they were a dub/punk/hip hop band from Long Beach. They got very famous in the mid-late 90's and at the height of their career, the singer and guitarist Brad Nowell died of a heroin overdose. I think that alot of people overhype how great of a songwriter he is now that he is dead. Not that he wasn't, Sublime's music for me will always be timeless, but that doesn't change anything. Some people I know compare his lyrics with the like of Tom Waits and Bob Dylan. I think that just because he is dead doesn't mean that we should overhype his accomplishments.
In the case of Chuck Schuldiner from the legendary band Death, his acheivements should NEVER be overhyped or forgotton. He is legendary. He is often credited as the creater of death metal (although I think Possessed invented it, Death perfected it) and he wrote many songs that are classics. He was a self tought guitarist raised in a very musical family. I feel especially saddened that he died because of a brain tumor, and not being wreckless like Moon or Bonham. Chuck was not a wild guy. He played at home with his pets and tended to his garden when he was not on the road. He may have been in a band named Death, but little do most people know he named his band after the death of his 16 year old brother who died in a car crash when he was young. Chuck is absloutly amazing, and I highly recommend all of you learning more about him and his band. Thanks.

I think the same happened with Brad Nowell from Sublime. For those of you who are not familliar with Sublime, they were a dub/punk/hip hop band from Long Beach. They got very famous in the mid-late 90's and at the height of their career, the singer and guitarist Brad Nowell died of a heroin overdose. I think that alot of people overhype how great of a songwriter he is now that he is dead. Not that he wasn't, Sublime's music for me will always be timeless, but that doesn't change anything. Some people I know compare his lyrics with the like of Tom Waits and Bob Dylan. I think that just because he is dead doesn't mean that we should overhype his accomplishments.
In the case of Chuck Schuldiner from the legendary band Death, his acheivements should NEVER be overhyped or forgotton. He is legendary. He is often credited as the creater of death metal (although I think Possessed invented it, Death perfected it) and he wrote many songs that are classics. He was a self tought guitarist raised in a very musical family. I feel especially saddened that he died because of a brain tumor, and not being wreckless like Moon or Bonham. Chuck was not a wild guy. He played at home with his pets and tended to his garden when he was not on the road. He may have been in a band named Death, but little do most people know he named his band after the death of his 16 year old brother who died in a car crash when he was young. Chuck is absloutly amazing, and I highly recommend all of you learning more about him and his band. Thanks.

I somewhat parallel your thoughts on Bradley Nowell of Sublime. People sure do focus on ones positives after death. Overhyped?... possibly.

I remember when I first heard Death back in the early 90's. I didn't catch onto it. My taste were in the Faith No More, Mr. Bungle flavor at that time. It's interesting to hear how mellow of a cat Chuck Schuldiner was. Can't judge one by thier music I guess.

In the case of Chuck Schuldiner from the legendary band Death, his acheivements should NEVER be overhyped or forgotton. He is legendary. He is often credited as the creater of death metal (although I think Possessed invented it, Death perfected it) and he wrote many songs that are classics. He was a self tought guitarist raised in a very musical family. I feel especially saddened that he died because of a brain tumor, and not being wreckless like Moon or Bonham. Chuck was not a wild guy. He played at home with his pets and tended to his garden when he was not on the road. He may have been in a band named Death, but little do most people know he named his band after the death of his 16 year old brother who died in a car crash when he was young. Chuck is absloutly amazing, and I highly recommend all of you learning more about him and his band. Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Chuck Schuldiner was a man with feelings, strong image, besides the bloody gore. His mother (Jane Schuldiner) kept his first playing guitar.

Attachments

• Chuck_Schuldiner.jpg
    Chuck_Schuldiner.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
That's actually a really good album. I don't own it, but I've heard a lot of it and it really is pretty damn good.

Really? I heard a few tracks off it and it sounded like a soaking wet cat being strangled by a kangaroo that had a pencil shoved up it's bum. Maybe a little extreme.
But it was a long tme ago and my tastes may have changed.

Back