Gavin Harrison here!

Gavin -

Just picked up the Jan MD with your cover article--great stuff. It's great particularly to have full transcriptions of some of the 05 Ric stuff, and the Crim head in me really enjoyed all the inside stories about Pat Mastelotto and Robert Fripp.

My question was actually about the cover pic. You're using some interesting-looking tom mics that seem almost like Shure SM-98s in size and configuration but I can tell they are not. Just curious what kind of mics those are.

5 splashes

Hi Gavin, I really like your drumming style, you are a real inspiration for me. I really like the way your drums sound by the way. I want to know if it's possible to buy something like your 5 small splashes? It's just amazing the way you introduce them in songs and i need to own something like those. (p.s. excuse my bad english, i'm a 15 years old from montreal(canada))

Hi Ogg,

Simply wanted to say how much I'm enjoying your playing on SW's amazing 'Insurgentes'. My fav' (so far) being the incredible 'NTWTCOTSun'...good stuff.

Thanks - I haven't heard the finished album yet - but I remember that one being a good one...21/4 if I remember rightly.

Hi Gus

I think it´s time for a "Gavin Harrison custom signature snare" by Sonor ;-) Could be a good bussiness!!, or at least the end of questions about your snares :)) -just joking-

I'd love to - Write to Sonor and request it!!

By the way, using the infinite SQ2 configurator, what should be ordered? A vintage shell snare without re enforcement hoops and rounded bearing edges?

The last snare they made me was "thin" shell (no support rings inside) and round bearing edges - but I don't think they offer that as a standard edge right now.

Hi Paul Nasstrom,

I have some issues though with drumming that you maybe could give me a smart tip about. Some exersises or something, I don't know. Well I have not been playing for very long. But one thing I find really hard is to keep the hi-hat going while im playing some groove on the ride. I find it really hard to do the same grooves between the kick, snare and ride when i'm playing the hi-hat with my foot. It would be really great if you had som tip or anything.

Yes it's a coordination thing - I spent ages practising a samba bass drum pattern ( K--K K--K K--K K--K ) whilst pedaling 8ths with my left foot on the hi hat and playing 16ths on the snare drum making sure they all line up properly.

Hi NeuroAxis

Just picked up the Jan MD with your cover article--great stuff. It's great particularly to have full transcriptions of some of the 05 Ric stuff,

Yes great work from my man Terry B.

My question was actually about the cover pic. You're using some interesting-looking tom mics that seem almost like Shure SM-98s in size and configuration but I can tell they are not. Just curious what kind of mics those are.

Beyer Opus 88 - great live tom mic and very easy to attach and position.

Hi lucbeauchamp

I want to know if it's possible to buy something like your 5 small splashes?

Not at the moment - but you could write to Zildjian and request them.

Cheers
Gavin

Insurgentes

Gavin:

I have just received and listened to my copy of Insurgentes. Can I say what an amazing piece of music this is, and to pass my congratulations to yourself and also to Steven and all who collaborated on it? I am just blown away with everything from the playing to the production. Wow... time to listen again :D

PS: I am rarely so sycophantic!

Hi Gavin,

Wow this thread is getting enormous. Just stopping by to let you know that I loved the cover feature in the latest modern drummer. What a great opportunity to pick your brain and see what drives you. I'm really impressed by the hard work that you put into your drumming. I really think that you will be remembered for a long time as far as drummers go.

Ian

Just some info. Vicfirth is soon going to upload Gavin's clinic at pasic on their site!

Really looking forward to seeing it!

Hi Ogg,

Simply wanted to say how much I'm enjoying your playing on SW's amazing 'Insurgentes'. My fav' (so far) being the incredible 'NTWTCOTSun'...good stuff.

Thanks - I haven't heard the finished album yet - but I remember that one being a good one...21/4 if I remember rightly.
21/4? Mind boggling! Not to take up too much of your time but I've been listening to 'Insurgentes' non-stop. Very much inspiring to hear your somewhat understated playing (such groove) throughout this.
May I ask just what you're playing during the intro of the third track 'Salvaging'? I can't get it out of my head or get on top of it with my full kit. I locked into it using my djembe...sounds simple but of course it's not. Thanks for your time.

Thank you Gavin for your reply!

I also have another question for you or anyone else who has tried out a few drumkits throughout their lifes. I'm planning on buying a kit sooner or later. Of course I want to by a Sonor Designer or something simular. But I don't think I can afford that one. I've been looking at a Sonor Delight and a Gretsch Renown Maple or Pure Wood. I'm just wondering if they're any good. If not, anyone is free to give me some advise on good drumkits.

Thank you!

Hey Gavin!

Me and some of my friends are going to play Anesthetize the 17th of December on a school show. We are wondering if you could send me, or let us know where we can download or buy, the Anesthetize live background video, which you have when you play it. It would be very kind of you!

Btw, Morgan Ågren and Mats Öberg on thursday here in Umeå, will be sick!

Cheers/ Emil

Hi PTemil

I think the video of 'anesthetize' is included in the 'Blank Planet' DVD-A edition.
Good luck with the concert!!

Best regards

Gustavo

Last edited:
Hi Ogg,

May I ask just what you're playing during the intro of the third track 'Salvaging'? I can't get it out of my head or get on top of it with my full kit. I locked into it using my djembe...sounds simple but of course it's not. Thanks for your time.

I play it with the left hand on the hi hat - the snare drum on 2 & 4 and pick out those tom hits with the right hand too. There's also some ghost 16th's on the snare.

Hi Paul Nasstrom

I've been looking at a Sonor Delight and a Gretsch Renown Maple or Pure Wood. I'm just wondering if they're any good.

I don't know the Gretsch Renown - but I can tell you that the Sonor DeLight is a beautiful kit and sounds great. I played one for 5 years with Porcupine Tree whenever we toured America.

Hi PTEmil

Me and some of my friends are going to play Anesthetize the 17th of December on a school show. We are wondering if you could send me, or let us know where we can download or buy, the Anesthetize live background video, which you have when you play it.

I don't have it - nor is it for sale - but Gus maybe right about it being on the DVDA

cheers
Gavin

Hi PTEmil

Me and some of my friends are going to play Anesthetize the 17th of December on a school show. We are wondering if you could send me, or let us know where we can download or buy, the Anesthetize live background video, which you have when you play it.

I don't have it - nor is it for sale - but Gus maybe right about it being on the DVDA

cheers
Gavin

I can verify that it is indeed on the FOABP DVD-A.

I can verify that it is indeed on the FOABP DVD-A.

In fact its on both DVD-a's. I have both (the first one in the deluxe edition with only foabp and the second edition with also nil recurring on it).
I believe its on youtube aswell. And I think that its on the myspace of lasse hoile (the creator of all porcupine tree media). You can mail him otherwise. He's a very nice guy.

Back