DW at Best Buy

hateplow

Silver Member
So that rumor I heard somewhere on this forum about a year ago was true.
Hard to believe that DW is going to be sold at Best Buy.
So much for the mom and pop music store...

Best Buy will likely go bankrupt before most mom and pop music stores, so I wouldn't worry too much. Also, this only dilutes DW's brand name and cheapens it (which surprises me that this would be true in the first place).

Now that debt-laden suburbanites can no longer pull equity out of their houses to buy huge flat-panel TVs and other gadgets...these big-box consumer electronics stores are hurting very badly. Circuit City declared bankruptcy Monday, I believe. CompUSA went TU last year.

Also, after talking w/ Shane - mom and pop music shops don't sell DW anyhow because of the huge cost-of-entry for the privilege of selling their drums, and other insane restrictions.

Best Buy will likely go bankrupt before most mom and pop music stores, so I wouldn't worry too much. Also, this only dilutes DW's brand name and cheapens it (which surprises me that this would be true in the first place).

Now that debt-laden suburbanites can no longer pull equity out of their houses to buy huge flat-panel TVs and other gadgets...these big-box consumer electronics stores are hurting very badly. Circuit City declared bankruptcy Monday, I believe. CompUSA went TU last year.

Also, after talking w/ Shane - mom and pop music shops don't sell DW anyhow because of the huge cost-of-entry for the privilege of selling their drums, and other insane restrictions.

Word.

Considering the finacial issues Best Buy is having, I wouldn't be surprised if they back off this whole test market thing they're doing with the musical instruments. Either way, it's not going really change anything from my perspective. BB is competing with GC and Ash...not shops like us.

If Best Buy does start selling musical instruments, I bet you'll see a spike a few months later on Craigslist as all these people started unloading their instruments.

Right, listed at the full retail price they paid when they bought it at BB. Look for lots of really crappy pictures, garbled nonsensical grammar, and high prices.

Actually, Best Buy is doing quite well. Since Circuit City and CompUSA went out and are about to go out, Best Buy is the only mainstream destination for affordable consumber electronics. Same with intruments...if you want a good price, and there's no Guitar Center, you go to Best Buy.

If Best Buy does start selling musical instruments, I bet you'll see a spike a few months later on Craigslist as all these people started unloading their instruments.

They already do. At least, most of the stores.

Of course consumer spending has gone down, and it will be a tough holiday season, but relative to how other electronics companies are doing, Best Buy is a winner.

If by that you mean that still in business, yes, they're doing relatively well. Let's pick this conversation up next year this time and see where things are at.

I think this is a perfect employment opportunity for me. I probably know more about the computer section, but I'd fill the musical instrument position nicely...

I happened to be in there the other day and they just finished their musical instrument section. IMO I wasn't that impressed. They did have a DW 5 piece kit that they wanted 3K for. I was shure of the model but with what I saw, I wasn't impressed. No the quality for the dollar as Guitar Center.

I happened to be in there the other day and they just finished their musical instrument section. IMO I wasn't that impressed. They did have a DW 5 piece kit that they wanted 3K for. I was shure of the model but with what I saw, I wasn't impressed. No the quality for the dollar as Guitar Center.

They'll match any price...and I think they can even order certain drum sets for you. Plus the flashing lights are awesome.

The good: in some communities the GC will stock *one* DW kit, and it may be some unpopular color like lavender. This could mean better availability and prices.

The bad: yet another item sold by clerks they have no clue about. Wait... was I describing GC or Best buy? :p

The good: in some communities the GC will stock *one* DW kit, and it may be some unpopular color like lavender. This could mean better availability and prices.

The bad: yet another item sold by clerks they have no clue about. Wait... was I describing GC or Best buy? :p

:) I'm not shure .... let me flip a coin ....

Another reason why I might be of some use, hopefully the BB's up here will be getting them in stock.

Tell him I commend him for being extremely original by taking the opposite of "Best," which is "Worst," and replacing it.

Hmm...does the illustrious 805drummer work at Best Buy?
I heard another rumor -
that Frank was trying to work out a deal with Best Buy to carry his new mass-produced Unix stave kits.

Back