Gavin Harrison here!

Whew! Finished reading all 2779 posts and now I don't have a question. Maybe I'll think up something Friday at PASIC. Love your work - Drop, NIL Recurring, The Crimson show in Chicago, all your educational materials. It will be good to see you live. Thanks for being the best drummer who plays like Gavin Harrison!

-Greg

Hey Gavin,
Ive been wondering about the fill in the song "Shes Moved on" that you play about 30 seconds into the song. I couldnt find it and didnt really want to look through 70 pages of this thread to find it. If anyone has a transcription of this fill and could post it, I would really appreciate it.

Hey Gavin,
Ive been wondering about the fill in the song "Shes Moved on" that you play about 30 seconds into the song. I couldnt find it and didnt really want to look through 70 pages of this thread to find it. If anyone has a transcription of this fill and could post it, I would really appreciate it.

Hi,
I tried transcribing it, but i'm not sure if it's 100% correct. I think it's pretty close.

Attachments

• shesmovedon.JPG
    shesmovedon.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 3,853
Don't feel like reading through like 30 pages.

Anyway, my name is Joe I live in New York and Gavin Harrison is my favorite drummer of all time and Porcupine Tree is my favorite band.

Gavin, that fill that you do in "The Creator Had A Master Tape" I base my whole style off playing off of that one fill if that makes any sense.

Of course I bought your DVD and I have every porcupine tree song on my ipod.

Been playing for 4 years your drumming has really had a huge impact on mine.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3458114703521163144&hl=en

n678556733_1044278_5475.jpg

SABIAN 6" SPLASH
SABIAN 8" SPLASH
SABIAN 10" SPLASH
SABIAN 12" SPLASH
SABIAN 14" ROCK HATS
SABIAN 20" ROCK RIDE
SABIAN 18" THIN CRASH
WUHAN 12" CHINA
WUHAN 14" CHINA
WUHAN 16" CHINA
WUHAN 18" CHINA
WUHAN 20" CHINA
STAGG 7" ICE BELL
ZILDJIAN 6.5" ZIL-BEL
ZILDJIAN 16" CRASH
ZILDJIAN 9.5" ZIL-BEL
ZILDJIAN 8" MINI-HATS

YAMAHA STAGE CUSTOM 5 PIECE
TAMA STEEL DRUMS
TAMA IRON COBRA DOUBLE PEDAL
PEARL HARDWARE
GIBRALTAR HARDWARE
GIBRALTAR DROP CLUTCH
LP COWBELL
LP WOODBLOCK

Gavin,

It was great to see you play that PASIC. Very inspiring, informative and funny.

Thanks for a great time. I am now going to have to go buy all the Porcupine Tree CDs

Hi PTEmil

I have a hard time coming up with nice polyrythmic stuff (such as Mother and Child divided, Sound of Muzak and a part of Halo) Do you have any particular tactic when you think them out? Are you counting much or are you just sitting down and improvising? Either way, I would really like to know how you are thinking when you are creating those masterpieces

Most of them come from improvising and filtering. As with any creative process - it's easy to come up with things - but you need to filter out the stuff you consider to be crap...and that process in itself is very personal. Based on what I think is crap - or cliche - or over the top or whatever. I always look for an architectural balance in the design of the rhythm and how it's going to work inside the piece of music it was designed for. Sometimes it is the starting place for the music (as with "Mother & Child") but I later modified it once some of the music was written as I thought it was too funky for the style of the piece.

Hi Brodel

I was just curious about your double bass technique.. You may have touched on my question in previous posts but I wasn't able to find anything...I was just wondering how you perform fast beats with the double bass and what methods you use...For example, on the heavy breakdown of Open Car during live shows, for those six straight 32nd notes, do you just play those as single strokes and alternate each leg, or is it more of a double stroke with each foot, like maybe using heel-toe? I can't remember if you prefer playing heel down or up....Similar question for the super heavy part before the last chorus in the second part of Anesthetize...Any details on how you go about playing these parts would be helpful!

I always play heel up - I always play single strokes and I always start with the right foot. Thanks to DanJacobs for the posting of that section in Anesthetize.

Also...any news on a release date for the new PT live album with material from the Atlanta show last year?

No real news about that for now - but we have it - and will probably release it sometime next year.

Hi franklinj

Ive been wondering about the fill in the song "Shes Moved on" that you play about 30 seconds into the song.

Shesmovedon.jpg

(Hi hidde you were 99% right!!).

Cheers
Gavin

Gavin .........
You kicked butt at PASIC!!!!! You're such a great player!

Didn't get to say bye.....bu,t keep in touch and hope to see you soon.

Cheers brother.
D.

He actually plays the drums on the re-mixed 2005 version of Up The Downstair as well.

Yea, Like I said 2002-

I finally learned the part in "halo" only I can't keep the hi hat steady =(

Last edited:
Hey Gavin and thanks for the great answer!

When you wrote, I always look for an architectural balance in the design of the rhythm, what exactly did you mean?

My friend, who is a bassplayer, wonders if there is a similar forum where Colin Edwin is participating? He obviously got jealous and wanted some tips himself!

Cheers / Emil

Hi all !
Hi Gavin ! I really dig your playing ! >>> Technical, creative and tasty.
Hope to see you and Porcupine Tree here in Brazil.
You guys have a lot of fans here.

My little question > Whats the time signature on the verse part of "Open Car" ?

* Can the transcribers here on this forum please post a transcription of the beggining of
the song "Mother & Child Divided" ?

Cheers !
LG

Hi PTEmil

When you wrote, I always look for an architectural balance in the design of the rhythm, what exactly did you mean?

Something that has a foundation & support and hopefully is more than just functional.

My friend, who is a bassplayer, wonders if there is a similar forum where Colin Edwin is participating?

I've no idea.

Hi Luis

My little question > Whats the time signature on the verse part of "Open Car" ?

17/8

* Can the transcribers here on this forum please post a transcription of the beggining of the song "Mother & Child Divided" ?

M&C drum part.jpg

Have a look at the "SEARCH THIS THREAD" function and you'll find a lot of stuff about it.

cheers
Gavin

Gavin, I'm working on "futile" I can't and never will be able to play the version on your DVD so instead I'm trying the regular version. During the chorus the "burnt out tracks" are you doing 1/4 notes or 1/8 notes on the bell? or going back and forth from the ride to the bell.

Thanks.

-Joe

Gavin, I'm working on "futile" I can't and never will be able to play the version on your DVD so instead I'm trying the regular version. During the chorus the "burnt out tracks" are you doing 1/4 notes or 1/8 notes on the bell? or going back and forth from the ride to the bell.

Thanks.

-Joe

As I hear it it's 8th notes with quarter note accents on the bell

Hi etnies12188

Yes it's 8th notes on the ride with 1/4 note accents on the bell.

Hi *JOHN FAVICCHIA *

Great to meet you in Austin!!

Great to meet you and see you play.

Hi DTrocks

Where can I watch a video from Gavin's clinic at pasic? I must see it!

As far as I know it wasn't recorded.

Hi Alex P.

Here is a transcription I did of the PT song, Lazarus. Tell me what you think about it, because I don't know if everything is wright. Sometimes it's more an interpretation of what I hear than the real drum part.

I would say it's 99% correct. There might be an extra bass drum here and there - but certainly not important. What other tunes have you transcribed?

cheers
Gavin

Back