No ride? good, bad idea?

zerodragunov

I decided last band practice to use an 18 sabian aax stage and a 19 aaxplosion and that is all because i dont really use the ride much however i lowered the 19 and used it to ride on (use the bell a bit). Do you think i should invest in a crash ride, is riding on a crash very uncommon? It seemed to work. Just wanting your opinions :)

do what you want. if it works and sounds good to you dont waste more precious money...

with that said, my ride is my most important and most used cymbal.

What the ink on the cymbal say is not omportant. If your 19'' thin crash (or whatever) sounds good as a crash/ride it is the best damn crash ride in the world for you. Don't be fooled by what's common and what's "right"

I concur, It's a matter of what sounds best to you. A lot of guys (Usually heavy rock) don't use a ride at all. where as a lot of other drummers use 2 or 3. I have 3 diff rides for different situations. Just a matter of preference.

This is one of the beautiful things about drums. Think about it there really is no other instrument with so many options. Sizes, heads, shell materials, cymbals, location. It is an endless variable of all these things.

As was stated above, what ever you like is the way to go. no rules here. I have noticed that the ride is used far less in todays rock then in previous generations.

I personally love the ride but then I am an old fart
wink.gif

Wow thanks for all the replies :) i do like just using the 2 crashes but im just hoping it will work when i use it as a ride. especially on recordings. The aaxplosion has a nice bell so i think it should be all good :)

I don't have a particularly good set of cymbals, but I've found that I like the tone of my 20" ride as a crash more than my 18" crash is, although I prefer my 16" to both.

No shame in using a cymbal for something it wasn't "meant to", they're instruments made to be hit and make a noise that you hopefully like, whether its original purpose or not was meant to be a ride or crash or whatever, the sound definitely should be what you like.

That kind of applies to drumming as a whole too...

Right now on my practice kit I'm using a 15 inch A Zildjian thin crash and an 18 inch medium-thin K Zil as a crash-ride. With just those 2 plates I can get a lot of sound!
The Xplosion crashes are fairly thick and they have those great-sounding raw bells (something I wish Zildjian would do more often BTW), so I'd imagine that 19 inch could double as a ride if you wanted it to. Once again. . .there are no rules.

Once again, if it sounds good, do it. I've got an orchestral suspended cymbal on my kit. I use it as a crash and also in its intended purpose.

Of course, I run 2 rides generally, so I may not be the best person to give advice on the no-ride scenario. I love playing open handed on my ride (I'm not talented enough to play open on the hats). In fact, last weekend at church, the electric kit's ride cymbal channel died on me. I rewired the whole thing to turn a tom channel into a ride cymbal... I can't play an entire set (heck, an entire SONG) without a ride.

A good drummer buddy of mine has no "dedicated" ride, rather, he'll ride on "any" of his 4 crash cymbals.

Hello, fellows.

I agree with harryconway. I ride on my 1 crash cymbal, another good example is Phil Rudd from AC/DC he only uses crash cymbals to ride.

Cheers,

Welcome to the Forum...yeah, I am with the majority on this one...do what sounds best to you and your playing style. If no ride then it is no ride, you will more than likely change that in the future and be looking for a ride or roll another cymbal into that position. The beauty of drumming is that there are no hard fast rules, set the kit according to your hearts desire and there it is; SWEET!!!!!

JIM

Lars Ulrich doesn't use a ride cymbal anymore.

But in more sensitive situation i find the a dedicated ride is more effective, as crashes tend to have more wash when hit with the tip up the stick than most rides do.

Yeah a quote that made me laugh from Lars was Q. Why don't you use a ride? 'Well I think they are kinda lame'

If the crash sounds good as a ride then go for it man whatever helps you get your own sound. As long as it's not like super complicated ride patterns it would sound fine.

with so many crashes at 17" - 22" and many guys looking for that 'wash' or 'shimmer' from a ride, it really only makes sense to ride everything from splashes to crashes to chinas and back to proper rides again.
besides, creativity is what music is all about, the more sounds you can get from your cymbals, drums, percussion the better - you're not crazy at all - you're a musician, so good drumming!

Lars Ulrich doesn't use a ride cymbal anymore.

QUOTE]

I was wondering about that. I saw his set up in the latest Modern Drummer and noticed there was no ride. Personally, I like having a bigger ride that is also crashable (usually a thinner one), rather than the other way around. I have a Paiste 2002 22" that has a nice crash to it. When I'm lazy and don't want to bring too many cymbals (or, as is more likely, I'm playing on a small stage), it's nice to have a ride that I can crash on as well. That said, I've looked high and low for a good crash/ride, and I just haven't found one that I've liked much as a crash or a ride.

I don't ride my crash, but I crash my ride.

Also, I hit my open hi-hats in place of chinese cymbal accents. (since my old chinese broke and I don't feel like replacing it)

Back