Recommend some cymbals

Frostilicus

So I've been playing 3 and a bit years; my first cymbal set was Zildjian Titanium - I naively believed that the brand name would not let me down, but the cymbals are shocking. Far too bright and ringy - not too bad for gigs, but they just ruin recording. So, not wanting to get burnt twice, I'm up for two good crashes, a 10" splash, a ride and hi-hats. I'd prefer a set but it's not necessary.

Music: prog rock / metal and/or indie rock.
Price: no more than £400 / $700

It really depends on what sound you are wanting to achieve. For me personally I enjoy a more "woody, warm" vintage tone, so I use Paiste Giant Beats. But I can say regardless of what you buy you should invest in a great pair of hats. They are your best friend.

It really depends on what sound you are wanting to achieve. For me personally I enjoy a more "woody, warm" vintage tone, so I use Paiste Giant Beats. But I can say regardless of what you buy you should invest in a great pair of hats. They are your best friend.

Perhaps, given that I'm still a relative beginner who still needs work on technique, it's less important that I worry about details of sound than I buy a set of cymbals that aren't shit :D

Given the constraints of budget and genre(s), what might I look at?

(I quite liked the sound of Paiste PST5 hi-hats that I used during a rehearsal. My Zildjians sound harsh, the Paistes sounded softer.)

well are you partial to any brand?
i had some zildjian a customs as my first real cymbals and they sound great for louder music.
i now play a combination of zildjian avedis and k custom for a lighter more funk/groove/classic rock music.

i recommend zildjian avedis. there good, versatile, and fairly heavy duty.
theyll sound bright and loud for rock/metal but not as harsh.
and not as cutting and shimmering as a customs for your indie.
the zildjian a line is a good all around cymbal.

Yes, they will sound good and be versatile. You can easily get 2 crashes and a splash for your budget, with some left over cashola. If you want a little warmer sound, you could get the Armand series cymbals which are good too...

yeah the armand series is modeled after a more vintage sound but the still have a modern feel.

Ding! 10 points.

They are all the "heavy" models (rock, metal etc...) with a black coating, no 'new' models as such. The general consensus is that they're a 12 month gimmick. I'd have teo say that they are marketed directly at the recent explosion of young emo/goth teenagers who must have everything black. Sorry to stereotype but it seems apt.

Back