I'm Confused

EDrums

What is the skinny on Keller shells? I noticed it seems that a lot of custom drum companies are or have used Keller shells such as Precission, Brady, Pork Pie, Spaun, GMS and Grover to name a few. In several of the posts it appears these shells seem to be substandard and then in other posts nothing but praise for the Drum companies that use them.

I don't think the shells are a problem. I think the debate is over just how custom can they be when so many companies use the same shells. Change the hardware, the lugs etc, the wrap or the finish and you still have the same shell so in essence the same drum. That's my take on any debate. Just an opinion like most of what you will read on here.

the reason why most newer custom companies use them, is cause they're not experienced enough to make their own shells.
so, most of the time, they start off using keller shells. get into the business, and then venture in to making their own shells...

alot like DW did..

Alex

In my opinion, Keller shells aren't anything special. I mean, sure they're a great shell that you can rely on, but they don't sound extraordinary. As GD said, those companies aren't anything different because they use the same shell. People swear by them because of the expensive brand, it's sort of like a placebo.

Isn't Gretsch a Keller user for all their American stuff?? I don't think they ever made their own shells as back in the before time Jasper was the shell manufacturer for them. I think when Jasper went under Keller took over.

If prepared correctly, a Keller should make a great drum, it's a maple shell!!

Get a 6 ply maple shell, seal the inside, put the correct bevels on the edges, the correct hardware and BINGO, where it's made doesn't matter as much as HOW it's made. It's wood, it's not a secret recipe like a cymbal. And I doubt there's a secret shell that they reserve just for Gretsch.

If prepared correctly, a Keller should make a great drum, it's a maple shell!!

Right. Keller shells offer the same type of shells that tons of companies have used for high-end drums for decades. They do sound good, if they didn't they wouldn't be used so much.

Unfortunately, the internet offers only confusion on this issue. GreTsch of course aren't going to brag about it if they do, and there are differing opinions everywhere you go. To tell you the truth, I don't care, if it sounds good and Keller OR Gretsch made it, so be it, I'm cool with that. I'm a Ludwig guy, but I also have and have had some Gretsch stuff and I love it.

But that aside, Keller makes a great product but it is only the base of what makes a drum great. All the other subtleties are also important to the tone of the drum.

ie: The finish, whether it be a pearl or woodgrain, Hardware and it's placement on the shell, How MUCH hardware (will the tom mount suck the life right out of it) and all the other things that make a raw shell into a drum.

Last edited:
Keller has had a ton of QC issues over the last few years. I know of several smaller high end companies who have rejected entire shipments of hundreds of shells due to seam and glue issues. Others have gone elsewhere for their shells.

Back