Carl Palmer

Uhhhh...

Pearts' inhuman perfection lacks human sound???

Carl Palmer was/is more than a little sloppy???

First of all...I've seen NP 22 times live, and THE absolute last statement, I would give, to describe every one of his performances would be "lacking human sound" WTF???

And second...I just recently saw Carl Palmer play in a small jazz-like club in Annapolis, Md., less than a year ago, and he was no where near sloppy. Dude...I was sitting at the front table, at this show, 6 FEET from him! You've got to be kidding? Right?

He was fantastic. In every way. Phenomenal, would be a fitting description of Carl Palmer, that evening.

Sloppy? Huh. Everyone on this forum wishes they were as sloppy as Carl Palmer...

Wow!

Actually, I saw him last year also and his playing was less then up to par. He made far too many blunders, including dropping his sticks; he didn't sound like he had warmed up and his playing was far less then stellar; it was stiff and lacking in excitement or luster.

Actually, I saw him last year also and his playing was less then up to par. He made far too many blunders, including dropping his sticks; he didn't sound like he had warmed up and his playing was far less then stellar; it was stiff and lacking in excitement or luster.

Wow...

Sure glad that wasn't the show I was at!

Talk about a 180" from the show I saw him do...

Completely!

What show was that, Delta? Just curious.

Wow...

Sure glad that wasn't the show I was at!

Talk about a 180" from the show I saw him do...

Completely!

What show was that, Delta? Just curious.

I saw him in NY at the IMAC center. He was actually quite self-deprecating, realized he was making a lot of mistakes and kind of smiled and shrugged as if to say,"it's one of those nights."

I saw him in NY at the IMAC center. He was actually quite self-deprecating, realized he was making a lot of mistakes and kind of smiled and shrugged as if to say,"it's one of those nights."

Hmmmm.....

There's nothing I can say about that show to counter your review 'cause I wasn't there, delta.

But that's unbelievable to me.

Guess he's human...just like us. :-|

Wow...

Cool! A link to a cool article from Drums and Percussion, Nov.1974 with rare pictures of Carl's stainless steel drum set. There is not too much out there as far as pictures of the beautiful kit, which, according to a footnote on page 94 of Emerson, Lake & Palmer, The Show That Never Ends " took twelve months to complete, and involved input from the British Steel Corporation. The final cost of the kit came in at around $15,000. The only off the shelf items were the Gretsch hoops" That would be way over 60 grand in 2007 dollars! This is the kit that was bought by Ringo Starr. Probably the only one that could afford it. He reportedly donated it to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, which unfortunately does not recognize Progressive Rock! WTF!

http://ladiesofthelake.com/cabinet/palmerdp.html

His 2007 equivalent is the Paiste kit he now owns:

http://www.paiste.com/news/viewnews.php?newsid=13

This snare demo is UNBELIEVABLE especially at the end:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gn9fkAGwJcM

Attachments

• CP_BW-2.jpg
    CP_BW-2.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 8,066
I can't believe there has only been 1,000 views of this Carl Palmer post. He deserves better. He's right up there with Neil Peart and John Bonham in my view. Maybe he's not as influential as either of them, but he sure has better hands.

Well,you have to consider the average age of most of us members. I'm in my fourties and know Carl Palmer's playing very well being around family that listened to prog-rock. There are drummers names here that I don't really know-of because I lost a great interest in music in general during the eighties and nineties ( read: disco, Linn drum machine, MTV etc...) Then came rap and grunge, not too many rudiments there to study. So, like many of you fine folks do, remember fondly a time when chops were something to attain and meant something among other drummers. I guess they still do !

I put on "Brain Salad Surgery" lately and forgot how much I once loved ELP.
God I miss the 70s. I used to attempt "Tank" as my solo in a rock band I once played in. He was a classical percussionist on steriods to me (or is it speed) and who wouldn't say they were glad to be there to witness it?

Going to see Carl and the original members of Asia in a couple of weeks. Let's just say the guy is still at the top of his game and still my #1 inspriration. And not the ELP stuff, but the big chocolate cake guilty pleasure that is Asia. "Soul Survivor" anyone? :)

It's hilarious that the Zildjian sign is in the video with Carl. He refuses to play on any Zildjian cymbal.

What is the reason Carl will not play on Zildjians? Anyone out there know?

Saw Carl and the guys from Asia last evening. Small 100+ year old musical hall theater that was built as part of a Carnegie Library. Proabbly 500-700 people in attendance.

All I can say is for those who despise the drum solo Carl will change your mind. Simply love his energy and humor. Playing was phenomenal and inspirational. The guy is 60 and is great shape. Loved every minute. Especially his thundering stainless steel Ludwig 100th Anniversary kit.

Attachments

• carl (V0028793).JPG
    carl (V0028793).JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 2,552
It sounds like you saw a great show. I like smaller venues like that.
I'm a bit envious. I did see ELP back in teh 70s but it was Cobo Hall with 10,000 people.

I've been a fan of Carl's (Mr. Palmer's) playing from the late 60's. Met him briefly once....pretty much was speechless (me - not him haha) because it was a chance meeting and I just was not prepared to have a chat with one of my drum heros of the day.
Saw him play twice with ELP - 74 and 77........just phenominal....and I think he is even better now at 62.

I bought one of these Carl Palmer Ludwig Signature snare drums a few weeks ago - it's in the mail. Looking forward to giving it a go.

Attachments

• cp snare drum1.jpg
    cp snare drum1.jpg
    288.3 KB · Views: 3,316
My dad played me Pictures at an Exhibition when I was around 13 years old. This is in the early 90s. I had just started playing drums. And the man left a lasting impression on my playing ever since.

Just read that Carl is rather ill lately with E coli and laid up at home. Had to cancel live shows for the first time in his 47 year career apparently. I wish him well. Such a nice guy. My idol. If I can look as in good shape as he does at age 61 I'll be lucky.. www.carlpalmer.com

Hoping Carl is better soon.

Great, great drummer - perfect for ELP. I was crazy about him in my youth. His playing on Toccata, The Barbarian, Take a Pebble, KE9, Eruption and Bitches Crystal was incredible.

Couldn't care less about any timing issues or overplaying - the latter being pretty well a trademark for the band, anyway. If the other players don't mind, then it's not my problem. Sometimes timing variations and taste shortfalls are part of a track's charm and it's not quite the same when they're played "correctly". He always plays with great passion and conviction.

Huge fan of Carl and his playing, one of my faves !

Here's hoping he's better soon.The E coli infection is pretty serious stuff.

I saw ELP a number of times in the 70's,They were a great live band..Feel better Carl.:)

Steve B

Back