Lars Ulrich

I can’t tell who has the worst fans…Van Halen, Howard Stern, or Metallica. I think I may have to go with Metallica. So many fans claim to hate them after a certain time, yet their concerts sell out and their albums always go platinum.
Stern has any fans left? He’s a pile that’s turned into everything he hated. Used to die laughing at his stuff from the 90’s, actually had to pull the car over a few times because I was in tears

Stern has any fans left? He’s a pile that’s turned into everything he hated. Used to die laughing at his stuff from the 90’s, actually had to pull the car over a few times because I was in tears
Funny. I thought he was a POS in the 90s, while over the past few years I've been impressed by his growth and maturity.

Yeah, what a shame that people actually grow up and become more mature and carry themselves with a little more respect for themselves and others.

Back in my junior high and high school days he inspired me. I liked him back then. I still listen to their older music (The Black album being the newest I listen to). Today there are many drummers who's skills and technical abilities far exceed Lars's.

Lars has very rarely ever used a ride cymbal for most of his career.

He had one in the early days, he took it off, never to be seen again for like 20 years, it made a brief reappearance in the early 2000s, then disappeared again.

I am pretty sure one could count the number of songs Lars has ever recorded with a ride cymbal on one hand

Load & ReLoad he used one. Watch any concert footage between 1996-1999, But that was about it. Couple songs in the early 80's too.

Load & ReLoad he used one. Watch any concert footage between 1996-1999, But that was about it. Couple songs in the early 80's too.
I had the concept right, but I was off a few years.

I know he had one the last time I saw them, which in my head was like 2003/2004. But I just looked it up, and it was actually July 2000. So my memory is just off a few years.

But all the times I saw them in the late 80s and early to mid 90's, he didn't have a ride.

Though you certainly hear it on the 1st two albums, and very briefly on the Master of Puppets album (the bridge on Back to the Front). But not often.

I was never aware of the hate. I personally love the little guy

I personally never hated him, I just did not look at him as a top shelf drummer....esp after hearing Charlie Benante in the same time frame. No one in "thrash era #1" was touching Benante

I had the concept right, but I was off a few years.

I know he had one the last time I saw them, which in my head was like 2003/2004. But I just looked it up, and it was actually July 2000. So my memory is just off a few years.

But all the times I saw them in the late 80s and early to mid 90's, he didn't have a ride.

Though you certainly hear it on the 1st two albums, and very briefly on the Master of Puppets album (the bridge on Back to the Front). But not often.
I had to look that one up, is it Disposable Heroes ?

When I was at school I was told by some kid that lars is the best drummer in the world because apparently at the time he held the world double pedal speed record or some such crap, probably not even true. Anyway, I haven't followed metallica that closely. I like most of the songs that most people know. But I will say that on one of their more recent albums he did some weird off beat bit that ii wouldn't have expected out of lars and it was genuinely a great passage of drumming. to me metallica wouldn't be metallica without him .

When I was at school I was told by some kid that lars is the best drummer in the world because apparently at the time he held the world double pedal speed record or some such crap, probably not even true.
Most definitley not true 😄
to me metallica wouldn't be metallica without him .
I thought this guy made a pretty good case for that as well....

When I was at school I was told by some kid that lars is the best drummer in the world because apparently at the time he held the world double pedal speed record or some such crap
lars has never been a heavy double bass player, but back in the day can only imagine the double bass speed record would have gone to lombardo

I don’t know when he did it but Lars has played a China in place of a ride for many years.
don't remember when he lost the ride, was def there in KEA. someone said a small part on MOP, but by AJFA the x-hats. think this carried on thru black tour, at some point after the chyna.

Last edited:
If i remember correctly he also used a ride for the St. Anger album. Remember seeing a K Ride in the video for the same song.

Back