I really like Attack Heads

vyacheslav

Greetings,

I just wanted to say that I really enjoy Attack heads. They don't get mentioned very much, but they are definitely a worthy choice right up there with the "Big Three" (Remo, Evans & Aquarian).

I am a single ply coated guy, and I really liked their now discontinued Royal 1 heads (formerly the Terry Bozzio heads prior to the Attack re-brand/re-launch).

Since those heads are now discontinued, I have been trying the ProFlex 1 heads, and I really like those as well. The coating isn't quite as rough as Remo, but it far more durable. Compared to Remo Ambassadors, I think the ProFlex 1 heads are a little more open and sensitive.

Attack is also doing things that are pretty innovative and no on else is doing. The Tone Ridge 2 heads are great at creating a low pitch, particularly on smaller drums. Sadly, they are only available in a 2-ply model (with the exception of a single ply 14" snare/tom batter). I am using a Tone Ridge 2 Coated on a small 16" bass drum and it sounds killer. The Tone Ridge 2 heads are almost a "split level" with the ridge built right inside of the heads. Imagine laying a Remo "O" ring or a "Zero Ring" on the head, but stacking two or three on top of each other. That's a good way to visualize how the head looks.

They offer two different thicknesses of 2 ply heads. The Proflex 2 is two-10 mil plies (an Emperor is two-7 mil plies). The Thin Skin 2 heads have one 7 mil ply and one 5 mil ply, so slighty thinner than an Emperor. The ORBIT bass drum heads are cool and innovative and the Logic Dot snare batter is also cool.

This is all just to say that Attack doesn't get much love around here (or anywhere for that matter), but I'm a big fan. Best of all, they are reasonably priced and are significantly cheaper than the "Big Three" brands. Check them out and try some. I think you'll like them too! And, even if they aren't your thing, it won't set you back very much to at least try them!

Cheers!

V

When I read your post I thought wow..where have I been?. I'd used Attack heads years ago and was impressed but just somehow drifted away. Thanks for the wake-up call. I will check these various products out in about umm....5 minutes. They always got good reviews in Modern Drummer in the past.

I don't think i ever have spotted Attack heads in Europe. Interested in trying them out though, read good things about them.
Not wanting to derail the topic, but is Terry Bozzio still with Attack? I don't spot the brand on his site anymore either.

I used to buy reso heads from Attack. It's a good, cost effective way to replace resos, especially if you have a large kit.

I used to buy reso heads from Attack. It's a good, cost effective way to replace resos, especially if you have a large kit.

My tom resos are Attack too. I'm actually in need of a new 14" reso and all of mine are so old they're all pre-relaunch versions.

For a while I was having a hard time finding anything other than the Orbit bass heads at my usual go-to places to buy heads. I just checked out Sweetwater and they seem to have a pretty wide selection now. I'm sure I'll check out some new Attack heads soon.

I played Attack heads for a while but they kind of fell off the face of the earth in their previous iteration. I haven't really tried them or even thought of them much since the new company took them over.

I don't think i ever have spotted Attack heads in Europe. Interested in trying them out though, read good things about them.
Not wanting to derail the topic, but is Terry Bozzio still with Attack? I don't spot the brand on his site anymore either.
No, Terry Bozzio is no longer with them. That's why they re-branded his heads as Royal 1. Those were both made with USA Mylar (same exact film that Remo uses) as opposed to Attack's proprietary Dynaflex film that they use on all of their other heads.

It's my understanding that the reason the Royal 1 heads were discontinued shortly after the re-brand was because Attack actually bought the Mylar film directly from Remo. When Attack needed some more, Remo told them they were no longer going to sell it to them. Hence, no more Royal 1 heads.

As far as I know, Eric Singer is their only "big name" endorser.

Reactions: iCe
It's my understanding that the reason the Royal 1 heads were discontinued shortly after the re-brand was because Attack actually bought the Mylar film directly from Remo. When Attack needed some more, Remo told them they were no longer going to sell it to them. Hence, no more Royal 1 heads.
Hm, interesting, but it seems like Attack would just buy the film straight from DuPont like Remo does. I don't see why they'd need to get it from Remo. OTOH if it's a coated film, not just a plain film, then maybe Remo could control the supply, assuming Remo is involved in producing or spec'ing the coated film.

My cynical hunch is that Attack heads are being made in Remo's factory in China and are essentially UT heads. I think creating the Attack brand was a way to sell mid priced heads while avoiding the "factory heads" stigma that the UT name has.

BTW, I just read something interesting in this old forum posting, which is that there's a Korean company that makes excellent quality mylar film. I wonder if that might be the source for what Attack is calling its proprietary film. Korea makes world class industrial products nowadays and it wouldn't surprise me if their film is on par with DuPont's.

edit: fixed broken link

Last edited:
When i was rebuilding my Ludwig Octaplus kit which had been converted to double sided toms, i needed 9 batter and 9 reso heads for the toms. I bought Attack heads to use as reso's because they were inexpensive. I felt sort of guilty putting them on, they seemed to be made nicely and i was never going to hit them. I may have to try them out now.

OTOH if it's a coated film, not just a plain film, then maybe Remo could control the supply, assuming Remo is involved in producing or spec'ing the coated film

IDK, in head manufacturing videos I've seen, the coating it applied after the head is made. I'm not sure if every manufacturer is like that, or not.

I don't have any good reason why they would buy it from Remo rather than the manufacturer either, unless Remo has some kind exclusive deal wherein the manufacturer isn't allowed to sell that exact product to other companies.

I'm totally spitballing here. I have no idea.

As for Attack heads, I haven't tried any of the newer ones. I tried exactly one of the older heads and didn't care for it, so I haven't felt the need to buy another. I never say never, though. I'm not super dogmatic about equipment.

IDK, in head manufacturing videos I've seen, the coating it applied after the head is made. I'm not sure if every manufacturer is like that, or not.

I don't have any good reason why they would buy it from Remo rather than the manufacturer either, unless Remo has some kind exclusive deal wherein the manufacturer isn't allowed to sell that exact product to other companies.

I'm totally spitballing here. I have no idea.

As for Attack heads, I haven't tried any of the newer ones. I tried exactly one of the older heads and didn't care for it, so I haven't felt the need to buy another. I never say never, though. I'm not super dogmatic about equipment.
Well that's a good point about the coating being applied afterwards and it makes sense that they'd do it that way now that I think about it. I'd probably also guess that Remo uses standard Mylar film rather than a proprietary spec in order to keep their supply chain simple.

pre- cellphone pre-internet

Attack heads? The regular ones were fine (still have 1 here somewhere) snare batter it still works
The Terry Bozzio ones sounded and felt -at the time- like rubber. I dumped those.
But that was the 90s
Used to drive out to Waddell's in Leechburg on Thursday nights and get them.
Along with Istanbul cymbals and the rest.

Today I'd have to take a LifeFlight helicopter but he's not there anymore anyway.
But I had Attacks on a Tama 20/10/12./14 set

Last edited:
A friend of mine uses Attack heads on vintage drums because they "roomier" around the collar.

Attack uses their exclusive "Duracoat" coating and it is applied after the head is already produced. In my experience, the Attack coating is more durable than any others, including Aquarian. Way more durable than Remo for sure.

I highly doubt that Attack is using the Chinese Remo Factory. They are competitors with Remo, not business partners.

Stroman makes a good point. I wonder if Remo has "exclusive rights" to that particular brand of material, thus Attack is not allowed to buy it directly from the manufacturer.

One other thing I wanted to mention about Attack is that they really hold their tuning well. Usually when setting up for a gig or at weekly rehearsal, I would need to tweek my Remo or Evans heads. With Attack, I pick up the key expecting to need to tune slightly, but I never have to. The steel hoop adds mass and I think that makes a big difference. Also, Attack heads do not use any glue, so they stretch out much less than Remo. They don't make any snap crackle or pop noises when tuning them up for the first time.

If anyone wants to try Attack, Sweetwater and Drum Center Portsmouth have great deals on "Attack Packs". Here are some links. You can't go wrong for the price, and I really think you'll like them! Long Island Drum Center has great prices on these as well.

The packs come with Proflex 1 heads (10 mil single ply, just like an Ambassador or G1) and with a "No Overtone" bass drum head (10 mil, single ply with a built in muffling ring, just like a Powerstroke 3).

Last edited:
The packs come with Proflex 1 heads (10 mil single ply, just like an Ambassador or G1) and with a "No Overtone" bass drum head (10 mil, single ply with a built in muffling ring, just like a Powerstroke 3).

I was wondering if their version of PS3 is pretty much the same result you have gotten with the big 3 versions of 10ml with rings for the kick??

Also.... have you had any wrinkling on the batter toms when tuned medium to low? .. I had that issue with Attack on their thin skins but that was a long time ago.

Hm, interesting, but it seems like Attack would just buy the film straight from DuPont like Remo does. I don't see why they'd need to get it from Remo. OTOH if it's a coated film, not just a plain film, then maybe Remo could control the supply, assuming Remo is involved in producing or spec'ing the coated film.

My cynical hunch is that Attack heads are being made in Remo's factory in China and are essentially UT heads. I think creating the Attack brand was a way to sell mid priced heads while avoiding the "factory heads" stigma that the UT name has.

BTW, I just read something interesting in this old forum posting, which is that there's a Korean company that makes excellent quality mylar film. I wonder if that might be the source for what Attack is calling its proprietary film. Korea makes world class industrial products nowadays and it wouldn't surprise me if their film is on par with DuPont's.

edit: fixed broken link
They do have that "UT" look to them. I guess it's because they are crimped rather than glued.

I was wondering if their version of PS3 is pretty much the same result you have gotten with the big 3 versions of 10ml with rings for the kick??

Also.... have you had any wrinkling on the batter toms when tuned medium to low? ..

No wrinkling for me. I have a couple low tuned tomes and they tune up nice. The "No Overtone" bass head is their version of a PS3. Very similar. I've had great results with it.

No wrinkling for me. I have a couple low tuned tomes and they tune up nice. The "No Overtone" bass head is their version of a PS3. Very similar. I've had great results with it.

This is great to hear about the performance.. Those packs are an incredible value compared to the other major head companies, but I wish they would offer the full kit pack with a coated tom batter option and maybe a thin skin version as well.

They do have that "UT" look to them. I guess it's because they are crimped rather than glued.
Right, it's the crimped construction and also the fact that they boasted about their USA mylar film. These are both talking points that Remo had about their UT heads. That's not proof per se, but it's interesting.

It's also pretty clear that Attack is a branding and distribution operation, not a manufacturer. That means they're getting their heads from someone else's factory. I don't know how many overseas drum head factories exist but my guess is not many, and we know Remo has one, which puts it in play as a possible source.

Furthermore, Remo's factory isn't located just anywhere overseas. It's located in Taiwan, or at least it was at one time. Guess where Attack heads are made? They're made in Taiwan, which again is interesting.

Incidentally, this thread got me curious so I bought a couple of open-box unused Attack heads on eBay to replace the factory reso on my old (early '90s, made in Taiwan) Pearl Export 13" tom, and also just to generally check them out. One is from before the rebranding and one is from after. The earlier one presumably has USA mylar film per their advertising at the time. The later one has the new style logo with "Proflex 1" text and presumably has what Attack is calling proprietary Dynaflex film.

What I notice is that the Attack heads' metal hoops are identical to each other as expected. But they are also nearly identical to the hoop on my Export's original head, which is interesting. There is a slight difference in the Export hoop's surface appearance but that could be explained by the ~30 year age difference. All three have the same dimensions, the same radiuses in the folded metal, and line up perfectly when you stack them together. If someone told me they were made on the same tooling, I could believe it. Both of the Attack heads are marked "Made in Taiwan," the older one with a stamp and the newer one with a sticker.

As for the film, as far as I can tell, the film in the two Attack heads is identical. It looks the same and sounds the same when you tap on it and handle it (this is with the head uninstalled). It also is indistinguishable (to me) from the film in a clear Remo Ambassador that I have on hand. IOW as far as I can tell, Attack's new Dynaflex film may really be USA mylar film just as it was before the rebranding. The outlier is the film in the original Export head which is slightly milky and sounds higher pitched and crinklier when you tap on it.

I still tentatively think these Attack heads are basically UT heads under a different brand, which isn't necessarily a knock against them. I think they're probably a good option especially for uncoated resos if you want to save some bucks. I could see them being good for batters too but it would be a matter of whether you like their coating.

Back