Roland TD-17KVX2 and EZdrummer 3

Hypercaffium

Hi.
My OS is Windows 10 (64 bit), my audio interface is a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. I downloaded and installed EZdrummer 3, configured the TD-17 module ("Vendor" mode on and "local control" disabled) as shown in many YouTube tutorials, installed the Windows 10 drivers I downladed from Roland's website and connected the module to my PC via USB cable. Unfortunately, when I start EZdrummer 3, it doesn't detect my TD-17 as an input device, but only as an output. If I go to Audio/MIDI setup, I can't see my TD-17 in the "Audio device type" list, I just see WASAPI, DirectSound, Asio etc. but not my TD-17. I've seen in some videos that "TD-17" should appear in the "Audio device type" list but I don't see it. Why?
I tried all of the available options and the lag was horrible in every possible setting. If I go to "Output" I can see my TD-17 in the list, as well as in the "MIDI device" list, so it's somehow detected, but not as an input device? I uninstalled the drivers, restarted Windows to make it search the drivers automatically, like Roand suggests, but it didn't work. What should I do?
Thanks for your help.

You need it as a MIDI device, it's not an audio input, if you are using a VST, it's a MIDI input sending digital data to create the audio in the VST. If it's in the midi list, choose it (may be a checkmark there and save), then choose the Scarlett as the output (I think the TD17 can also be used as an output / audio interface), and try lowering the buffer size. Whatever is your output, plug your headphones/speakers in there.

I can see it as a midi input and it's already checked. I expected to see it in the "Audio device type" list like it's shown in this video:
I can't see it, so I can't use its dedicated drivers (I guess) and that's why everything it's so laggy. I tried ASIO, WASAPI... I tried everything and it's extremely laggy even after lowering the buffer size.

I can see it as a midi input and it's already checked. I expected to see it in the "Audio device type" list like it's shown in this video:
That is so you can hear EZdrummer through the TD17. I would avoid doing that. Your audio interface should be the 'audio device' through which you are monitoring EZD3.
I've never heard of 'vendor mode'. If that's so you can use the TD17 as your audio monitor I would reset it back to the original default. The focusrite IS your audio monitor.

That is so you can hear EZdrummer through the TD17. I would avoid doing that. Your audio interface should be the 'audio device' through which you are monitoring EZD3.
I've never heard of 'vendor mode'. If that's so you can use the TD17 as your audio monitor I would reset it back to the original default. The focusrite IS your audio monitor.
vendor mode is needed for sending and receiving audio over USB, but I wouldn't do that either, just send midi and use the Scarlett..

I can't see it, so I can't use its dedicated drivers (I guess) and that's why everything it's so laggy. I tried ASIO, WASAPI... I tried everything and it's extremely laggy even after lowering the buffer size.
It's laggy because of your PC's sound card and driver is not made to handle this, so use the interface instead. The Roland driver is only for sending audio over USB, which is mostly unrelated to the case of using a VST. If you had no Scarlett, I'd recommend Asio4all driver, but that has some limitations, like not allowing background music to play, so just set the Output in EZ to Scarlett.
(In the video he sets the output to the TD17 - not input! - since that can also be the interface, but if that results in latency, go Scarlett.)

My TD-17 was already working as a MIDI input device, but I expected to see it also in the “Audio device” list like shown in some videos I’ve watched. I guess some things are different from Windows to Mac, or simply I got confused. I’ve found a way to make everything work using ASIO with pretty much almost no latency. Thanks.

The video is about how to connect your electronic kit with EZDrummer, the title is pretty explanatory. You can choose to use your kit as an audio device or not, it doesn't limit the midi functionality. In fact, I tried both ways and it works, as long as you use the correct drivers and configure everything correctly. I've chosen to use my Focusrite as output device because it's more convenient in my situation, but you can definitely send the signal back into your module and use it as an output.

The video is about how to connect your electronic kit with EZDrummer, the title is pretty explanatory. You can choose to use your kit as an audio device or not, it doesn't limit the midi functionality.
First I don't know why you've been so prickly from the start, pretty much everyone (on more than one forum) has just been trying to help you.
Secondly, I'm not dissing the video, I am posting WHY you wouldn't want to follow the videos advice on connecting the TD-17 as an audio device. It is stated in the video this is how you connect it as an audio device. 1) You didn't want to do that because you had a better audio device (Focusrite) and 2) it was just adding to the complexity of the set up and presumably confusing you.

Well... I've been so "prickly" that I actually clicked "like" on all the replies (including yours), on more than one forum. I like how you wanted to point out the fact that I posted on more than one forum.
I've also been so "prickly" that I found the time to come back to the thread, thank everybody and say that I solved my problems, in order to save you guys some time. And again, I did that on more than one forum.
I guess you got everything wrong, my friend. Sometimes we got confused, and it's ok. No hard feelings, and again, thanks for your help.

Back