Expensive Bop Kit Poll

Can’t part with my vintage either, there is a familiarity that is comfortable that gives a willingness to put up with terrible hardware.

6C91CF66-DC29-410E-8141-D537FEB28F8C.jpeg

I only use "Vintage" in the Snare..

gretschAug2twentyone 007.JPG

GretschBks 008.JPG

Last edited:
CymbalHeight.jpghomegarage5march2020.JPG

2018 1966 RB RWP Gretsch 005.jpg

SmallGretsch004.jpg

Lp 338 cb holders for spurs; converted 16x16 to bass; added rail; small quicker gigs kit) use the 14ft from rwp set)

gretschgarage.jpg

Last edited:
What do folks think about Oriollo aluminum kits and Jenkins-Martin fiberglass kits? Oriollo kits sound good across tuning ranges, including very good for jazz, and many have talked about J-M kits having amazing tone and sustain.

What do folks think about Oriollo aluminum kits and Jenkins-Martin fiberglass kits? Oriollo kits sound good across tuning ranges, including very good for jazz, and many have talked about J-M kits having amazing tone and sustain.
I find them creative companies who are experimenting with different materials that produce different sounds. The folks at A&F Drum Company build various percussion equipment and they are also experimenting with Aluminum alloys for their drum kits. Here is their latest creation that they call Featherweight.

https://www.anfdrumco.com/collections/featherweight

I find them creative companies who are experimenting with different materials that produce different sounds. The folks at A&F Drum Company build various percussion equipment and they are also experimenting with Aluminum alloys for their drum kits. Here is their latest creation that they call Featherweight.

https://www.anfdrumco.com/collections/featherweight
I admit that some A&F snares sound good, but the aesthetic of that company's designs do not appeal to me at all. I like color finishes, whether solid, sparkle, matte, etc., and most of what I see from A&F looks like aged, ship-wrecked artifacts from the late nineteenth/early twentieth century. I would need to research demos of their bop kits and be really impressed with the sound to overlook other offerings out there. I just have a hard time with their aesthetics--rusty-looking drums with leather badges just don't do it for me.

................... what I see from A&F looks like aged, ship-wrecked artifacts from the late nineteenth/early twentieth century................... I just have a hard time with their aesthetics--rusty-looking drums with leather badges just don't do it for me.
I think that is the whole point of some of their designs. The old rusty vintage look and leather badge are their marketing tools to differentiate some of their kits from all those other boutique drum makers. There is a small market for that type of look. But as far as I see not all their offerings look that way. This is an example.

This one is in vintage white color and it is called "1901 Limited Edition". It is inspired by a watch from an old watch company that was in existence between 1850 and 1957! No wonder the model number is 1901.

I think that is the whole point of some of their designs. The old rusty vintage look and leather badge are their marketing tools to differentiate some of their kits from all those other boutique drum makers. There is a small market for that type of look. But as far as I see not all their offerings look that way. This is an example.

This one is in vintage white color and it is called "1901 Limited Edition". It is inspired by a watch from an old watch company that was in existence between 1850 and 1957! No wonder the model number is 1901.

That white finish is nice!

I prefer the Sonor Vintage series to the SQ2 for jazz/bop. They offer an 18" bass drum config, though I have the 20" for all-around versatility.

IMG_1468.jpeg

I prefer the Sonor Vintage series to the SQ2 for jazz/bop. They offer an 18" bass drum config, though I have the 20" for all-around versatility.
Great drums for sure, but I am not wowed by any of the finishes. Only "rosewood" satin finish, right, and the rest are wraps (black slate/oyster, California blue oyster, silver sparkle, red oyster)? If they offered this series with something closer to older Starclassic Maple finishes from early 2000s, I'd probably be more tempted. I know it may be stupid, but I like both sound and looks. I'd have a hard time enjoying a good-sounding kit with a marine pearl wrap finish. Not into vintage aesthetics.

Back