Is Premier back?

It isn't clear who made the shells for those snares. It's highly unlikely to have been Keith or BDC though, given his history with a previous incarnation of Premier.
I thought the One seres were top notch.

Were there any issues with them legally?

One of the issues they may have is that G4M is mail order only in the UK, unless you live near York, which is G4M's HQ and where they have a shop.

So most people in the UK will be buying blind, as they have no dealer.. Also worth noting that on one of the Facebook groups there's a pic of one of the brand new SE Genista snares that someone's bought with a badge that's been put on wonkily, which isn't a particularly auspicious start. Hopefully the QC will improve!
The advantage of that is, if you don’t like it you can return it, and test it at your own location.

The downside is that this can hurt regular shops’ sales.

That is they only sell through G4M (as the sell in the US in regular stores too) which wouldn’t be a smart move in general.

I have had read about QC issues about any brand on any level and from any country (even my beloved Yamaha, and the top Craviotto Custom line. ) so whilst this specific case needs to he addressed and helped by G4M with the seller, and they do need to keep an eye on said failing part/process during production, I wouldn’t hold it against them as it is a single issue and not a regular one.

I thought the One seres were top notch.

Were there any issues with them legally?

The advantage of that is, if you don’t like it you can return it, and test it at your own location.

The downside is that this can hurt regular shops’ sales.

That is they only sell through G4M (as the sell in the US in regular stores too) which wouldn’t be a smart move in general.

I have had read about QC issues about any brand on any level and from any country (even my beloved Yamaha, and the top Craviotto Custom line. ) so whilst this specific case needs to he addressed and helped by G4M with the seller, and they do need to keep an eye on said failing part/process during production, I wouldn’t hold it against them as it is a single issue and not a regular one.
Keith's drums are of very high quality, I just don't think the separation was necessarily a very happy one. Premier started to lose all their endorsers as they couldn't offer the support that they needed as the money started to run out, which must have been very frustrating for Keith. The previous Premier owner had the commercial acumen of Donald Duck wrt the brand.

If I was spending that amount on a kit it would be nice to slap eyes on one first in the UK. I'm fortunate as I live near York so can do that, but many people wouldn't be able to. G4M is basically Thomann but in the UK.

No idea about legal issues, certainly nothing that I'd heard of.

Last edited:
Unless premier does some amazing marketing it's doomed to die off again. The people who know it's legacy are disappearing.

they peaked in mid 70s..lost it a little in the 80s..had a resurgence in the 90s.. then died 3 or 4 deaths : ) in the 2000s

other than that they're 'tip top in fine nick no rust on cir-clip spot-on and cheerio

Unless premier does some amazing marketing it's doomed to die off again. The people who know it's legacy are disappearing.
At the moment they're very much trading on their glory days of 30 odd years ago. Most of the attention has been given to the new version of the Genistas, with very little to the Elites, which does have a newer shell construction. I was underwhelmed by the ADP snare, especially at £1500. It's a gorgeously made but dull looking shell with cheap generic hardware (stand fast the strainer, which whilst a very good piece of kit doesn't really suit the vibe of the drum IMHO, it's too modern looking). You could make one up yourself including buying the shell from a builder for a third the price that Premier is charging.

Unless they come up with actual new ideas and ranges (which I'd love them to do) that get younger drummers interested in the brand, plus getting some high profile endorsers who they have the ability to actually support, and not just us nostalgic old types looking back fondly at original Genistas and Elites I think they may struggle longer term.

I've never been a Premier fan, but I wish them all the best! Lots of great drummers play them.

With that said, they would catch my attention if they brought back the Signia line with (a.) more traditional-depth toms and (b.) floor toms with traditional floor tom legs instead of suspending them.

At the moment they're very much trading on their glory days of 30 odd years ago. Most of the attention has been given to the new version of the Genistas, with very little to the Elites, which does have a newer shell construction. I was underwhelmed by the ADP snare, especially at £1500. It's a gorgeously made but dull looking shell with cheap generic hardware (stand fast the strainer, which whilst a very good piece of kit doesn't really suit the vibe of the drum IMHO, it's too modern looking). You could make one up yourself including buying the shell from a builder for a third the price that Premier is charging.

Unless they come up with actual new ideas and ranges (which I'd love them to do) that get younger drummers interested in the brand, plus getting some high profile endorsers who they have the ability to actually support, and not just us nostalgic old types looking back fondly at original Genistas and Elites I think they may struggle longer term.
Exactly.

The silver sparkle Genista Maple caught my eye.

It's hard to see how that "tongue" lug relates back to the long tension lug of the Seventies and earlier but I think it does. Took some thought to maybe see it.

It's the tip 1"2" of the top and Bottom of the long lug
The design is a real stretch of the imagination whomever came up with I bet doesn't work there anywhere anymore and may not have been a drummer. It's a disaster if it was meant to be a continuation.

slii3zy0ed2apig6axzb.jpg

sij0i050iwxzobchotc2.jpg

image_8965f659-c833-4c23-bd71-9a19ebd3f6c3_1024x1024.jpg

See what I'm saying? From top pic to bottom pic. Middle of casing was removed and Tips Smooched/ Flattened out.
I don't (and many) don't get it.

It's an Evolution but No one barely notices it. So no connection with their past and that's working against them. When it was decided on that latter design +/-

I don't see Premier when I see that Latter drum.
It's like terrible or terribly odd.
But I believe someone high up thought the design was an evolution and it got approved
my old 2c
looks like a bunch of mirrors
you'd find in some gal's purse
not that I'd know anything about that)

Maybe it was a play on the Rolls-Royce chrome thing - you know- show-off the chrome but ...
Looks like a bunch 'o mirrors

Last edited:
It's hard to see how that "tongue" lug relates back to the long tension lug of the Seventies and earlier but I think it does. Took some thought to maybe see it.

The design is a real stretch of the imagination whomever came up with I bet doesn't work there anywhere anymore and may not have been a drummer. It's a disaster if it was meant to be a continuation.

slii3zy0ed2apig6axzb.jpg

sij0i050iwxzobchotc2.jpg

See what I'm saying? From top pic to bottom pic. Middle of casing was removed and Tips Smooched/ Flattened out.

It's an Evolution but No one barely notices it. So no connection with their past and that's working against them. When it was decided on that latter design +/-

But I believe someone high up thought the design was an evolution and it got approved
my old 2c

Maybe it was a play on the Rolls-Royce chrome thing - you know- show-off the chrome but ugh.
I like the Elite lugs.

1667234981565.jpeg

Just an evolution of a design.

The old ones are cool too (have had a few dozens of them passing my hands the last year).

The RR Chroming is said to be a an urban legend.

just doesn't holler Premier to me

Last edited:

slii3zy0ed2apig6axzb.jpg

sij0i050iwxzobchotc2.jpg

my old 2c

Maybe it was a play on the Rolls-Royce chrome thing - you know- show-off the chrome but ugh.

The Elite lug has been around for years, albeit probably from "only" circa 2000. I loved it then and love it now, it's very much a signature lug designs is Genista.

I hear you .. I just used that part of the statement to take a lighthearted jab at these other companies.
I'm still using that motorcycle company's hardware that I bought in the eighties.😁😁😁

Back