Hurricane Ian

Macarina

Silver Member
I'm just screaming in my head here and just trying to come to terms of a lot of WTF.. I literally don't know what to do, if anything. I can't. I just watch it happen and hope our new neighbors keep us informed.

My wife and I just closed on our brand new built home in Venice, Florida. We still live in St. Louis, with the planned full move to work from Florida in November.

As of Today (9/26/2022), the path looks to be pretty much on target with a bullseye apparently on our roof. Sorry for the drama... but dammit... this is not looking good. We have made arrangements for someone to install our metal Hurricane Shutters today. That's good.
But what is not good is they are in the middle of building homes across the street with bare roofs and 2X4's and all kinds of construction debris just laying around. This picture below is from this morning.
Additionally I'm worried about flooding. Though we are about 7 miles inland, we are next to a major inland river.

My only similar experience might be tornado's in the Midwest. This is a whole different animal for me.

floridaHome.jpg

Snap17.jpg

Dude that really sucks, I'm sorry to hear this. Perhaps the path will change again.

Luckily, if that is even a word to describe this, is that there is a cold front pushing through that will provide a greatly needed high level shear and inject dry air into the storm before it makes landfall, reducing what could be a major hurricane into maybe a Cat I or even possibly a Tropical Storm by the time the core of the storm reaches land. This by no means downplays how dangerous this storm is, but the damage created by wind and flying debris will be significantly reduced.

Also to note, that one line is a combination of many models they run about every 3 hours to determine the "most likely" path. Stay alert and stay concerned, but a lot can happen with this storms East/West pathing from now until Wednesday.

This is the latest run of the most used models, so you can see there is still a large variance of it's projected path depending on which model is used.
al092022.png

It should just be a tropical storm when it hits me-but I'm in path. I'm working on fixing a wooden shutter that fell off after a big storm a month or so ago. I think I'll wait to hang it. My lot is a low area in neighborhood so with a real deluge it's like a river flowing around my house-I graded it out so water never abuts my house. It's crazy some of rainfall we've gotten last two years-like buckets fall down and flood an area in no time.

We have made arrangements for someone to install our metal Hurricane Shutters today.
This is, quite literally, all one can do. Be glad you're not here to experience the joy of panic buying. Here on the East coast of Florida, Hurricane Panic is in full bloom despite the projected path.

Four years here and have not experienced a "Big One". I hope for the best for you and your new home.

I once experienced three big ones in rapid succession. There were 4 altogether. And a few years ago we got hit with another one. It’s very unpleasant. Hope your new home is ok and I wish for everyone to come out of it ok because it sucks.

I'm just screaming in my head here and just trying to come to terms of a lot of WTF.. I literally don't know what to do, if anything. I can't. I just watch it happen and hope our new neighbors keep us informed.

My wife and I just closed on our brand new built home in Venice, Florida. We still live in St. Louis, with the planned full move to work from Florida in November.

As of Today (9/26/2022), the path looks to be pretty much on target with a bullseye apparently on our roof. Sorry for the drama... but dammit... this is not looking good. We have made arrangements for someone to install our metal Hurricane Shutters today. That's good.
But what is not good is they are in the middle of building homes across the street with bare roofs and 2X4's and all kinds of construction debris just laying around. This picture below is from this morning.
Additionally I'm worried about flooding. Though we are about 7 miles inland, we are next to a major inland river.

My only similar experience might be tornado's in the Midwest. This is a whole different animal for me.

This Ian is going to pick up the phone and tell THAT Ian go screw off and destroy some place like Mar-A-Lago instead of your house.

Ian

View attachment 124721

View attachment 124722
What

View attachment 124721

View attachment 124722
What neighborhood are you in ? I live off Seminole Dr. In Venice and we are getting hammered..we still have power on for now haven't seen any sharks fly by yet😁

Last edited:
This is, quite literally, all one can do. Be glad you're not here to experience the joy of panic buying. Here on the East coast of Florida, Hurricane Panic is in full bloom despite the projected path.

Four years here and have not experienced a "Big One". I hope for the best for you and your new home.

My mother is on the central east coast . Spoke to her this morning and can attest to the PANIC BUYING . This phenomenon has increased in the past decade or so . In an emergency you gotta get what you “need” and that’s understandable but many go overboard largely but not solely helped by the selling of fear ! And there’s no ending in sight with the constant sales pitch ! That and the “supply chain” issues will only compound the problem .
I see the thought process when I speak to people and see or hear what they’ve bought before an emergency impending weather event . It’s……. Well , with supply chain issues and after the event , I’m buying all I can now because who knows when there’ll be more . This actually creates supply issues for all to get through the event by not getting just what is needed .
There’s always been panic and some panic buying to an extent but the selling of FEAR is a real and compounding problem .
Prayers to all you Floridians 🙏.

155 mph winds (category 4) 29 miles off the coast of Ft. Meyers. This ain't gonna be no joke.

Wow just noting an over 12 feet storm surge with Ian. There is a flood plain site that marks changes of sea level upto 400 meter given location elevation (there isn't enough ice/water on earth to go up to 400 meters so don't worry LOL. So I set it to 4 meters to see how much water could possibly inundate the Fort Myers as a rough estimate-I know the force of hurricane is more invasive. I saw Michael's surge wipe most of Mexico Beach off the face of the earth so it's difficult to comprehend (I think it was 17 foot surge)-and I bet Ian will be higher that what stating now. I hope people found safety.
surge.png

Tampa currently has a reverse storm surge and is preparing to get 🍆 in the 🍑 when it returns.

My local news is reporting the possibility of up to 18' storm surge. That's nuts.

Good luck y'all, hang in there.

I have a work acquaintance with whom I have grown very friendly over the past year. We both work from home and are thousands of miles away so have never met. I knew he was in Florida but wasn’t sure exactly where until I started seeing how much trouble Cape Coral might be in. Went through some old emails and found out that, yeah, that’s exactly where he and his family live. I last heard from him a few hours ago and at the time he was fine although he said of the many hurricanes he lived through, he had never experienced one like this before. I’ve been on edge all day, incapable of not worrying about him. Seeing the videos on Twitter doesn’t help but I can’t stop scrolling, looking for updates.

I have a work acquaintance with whom I have grown very friendly over the past year. We both work from home and are thousands of miles away so have never met. I knew he was in Florida but wasn’t sure exactly where until I started seeing how much trouble Cape Coral might be in. Went through some old emails and found out that, yeah, that’s exactly where he and his family live. I last heard from him a few hours ago and at the time he was fine although he said of the many hurricanes he lived through, he had never experienced one like this before. I’ve been on edge all day, incapable of not worrying about him. Seeing the videos on Twitter doesn’t help but I can’t stop scrolling, looking for updates.
Me neither. It’s really bumming me out. I’m about halfway between Daytona and Orlando and we’re getting strong wind and rain but it seems we’re much better off than many. So far.

Dang 6 meters-and I bet its more area surging inland then rain and flooding also. So it's going through Fla then into Atlantic to turn back towards Carolinas and Georgia?
-Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 7.06.22 PM.png

My wife is trying to communicate with some of the neighbors Who stayed. Hearing about some leaks from the vents in the roof. Streets flooded, but not sure about up to the homes. its dark now and we are behind the hurricane. so probably will not hear anything till morning. we know nothing about our home 🫤
It did turn south and nailed Punta Gorda, so Venice got less, I suppose?

my son gave me this site with live video.

I'm in a suburb south of Daytona Beach. Since about noon today we have been (and still are) in the direct path of this storm as it makes it's way across the state. As of the time I type this I still have power. We have had non stop rain and steady winds since this morning, currently it's very strong and will only get worse. I've been here over eight years now and this is the third or fourth hurricane come right through this area. I am fortunate to be on the same grid as our city hall and emergency services buildings which all have underground power lines. Every storm they kill our power for usually 8-12 hours then turn it back on when the storm passes and we never have any issues.

It's looking like the eye will pass right over me sometime tomorrow afternoon/early evening. I'll try to post as best as I can.

Well... There goes the rest of our property insurers lol.

Here is the giant oak tree sitting about twenty feet from my bedroom I've been watching like a hawk all day:
IMG_20220928_185248060.jpg

If anyone is interested in what is ACTUALLY going on live in the moment in central Florida listen to real radio 104.1 Orlando on the iHeartRadio app. It's mostly talk shows but during hurricanes they live broadcast all night and basically do open forum for locals to call in. It's a mixture of super entertaining fun talk radio where these people just party on air and minute by minute updates.

Back