SPD-SX Pro

It's expensive. That doesn't make it a bad product, just not in your budget.
I'm sure as the cost of living crisis goes on lots of things will get reduction offers, Black Friday etc.
My 2015 SPD-SX has been heavily used on stage with lots of travel, but is still working perfectly.

It's expensive. That doesn't make it a bad product, just not in your budget.
I didn't say it was, in fact, I said it looks like a great product. Also, it is in my budget and even if I was a millionaire, I still would not buy one, on principle. Roland, like Apple and Sony, do seem to have their special kind of TAX ;) One thing I know for sure is the likes of Roland and Apple never come up in Black Friday offers. Black Friday offers are typically reserved for all the crap that did not sell that year.

I tried an SPD-SX at my local music store in Cambridgeshire, but after picking it up and wrapping the top, bottom and sides with my knuckles I just felt that it was light, felt like cheap plastic, so that put me off even plugging it in and trying it.
^^ You said ^^

Those 'questionable plastics' are still perfect on my heavily gigged, heavily travelled SPD-SX
Good for you. Bet you have a nice flight case to go with it and bet it's never been dropped either. I would not expect any damage to come to it as you load the flight case into a car, drive to gig, carry said flight case onto stage and carefully mount it on a stand next to your kit. I mean, what could possibly happen?

Good for you. Bet you have a nice flight case to go with it and bet it's never been dropped either.
Why do you post such guess work? No I do not have a flight case, I have one of the soft cases Roland offers. When I play abroad - which is most of the time, I fly. You can't afford to load heavy flight cases on budget airlines.
No musician plans to drop their gear. The simple fact is you keep describing it negatively as cheap and plasticky, and yet me and thousands of other drummers have heavily gigged it for years without any issues.

My 'guess work' is based on the fact that most people I know and have heard of that own one have it in a flight case so it was a fair assumption.

I'm only describing it as feeling a bit cheap because that's my experience - sorry if you're offended by this. I guess some of us just have higher standards than others when it comes to 'build quality' and I am perhaps a little old school and I remember when stuff was built to a much higher standard in countries like the UK, USA, Japan and Germany. There is still good stuff with excellent build quality in these countries, as there is in China, but most stuff China and Indonesia etc is generally, from experience, a little short in the build quality department.

Now, Chris, you can continue to defend Roland and your product to the death - more power to your elbow. Me, I have an opinion and I'll continue to voice it and as long as I personally feel I have an argument to retort, I will continue to retort. I'm not quit sure why, but you do seem to be quite upset about this and taking it very personally. As Frankie used to say, "RELAX" ;)

I'm only describing it as feeling a bit cheap because that's my experience - sorry if you're offended by this.
<<>>
I'm not offended. I'm merely correcting your overly negative thoughts on the robustness of the SPD-SX.
Now, Chris, you can continue to defend Roland and your product to the death - more power to your elbow. Me, I have an opinion and I'll continue to voice it and as long as I personally feel I have an argument to retort, I will continue to retort.
Hmm, it's not 'my product'. It's a bit of kit I heavily used for five years. If it's too expensive that's fine. If you don't want one, that's also fine. If you keep describing it as cheap and prone to damage, you are I'm afraid wrong.

<<>>
I'm not offended. I'm merely correcting your overly negative thoughts on the robustness of the SPD-SX.

Hmm, it's not 'my product'. It's a bit of kit I heavily used for five years. If it's too expensive that's fine. If you don't want one, that's also fine. If you keep describing it as cheap and prone to damage, you are I'm afraid wrong.
Again, this brings me back to I don't describe it as cheap and prone to damage' never did, never will. What I said was, to me, it felt a bit tacky and plasticky, which is something a little bit different. Hope that's clear.

Again, this brings me back to I don't describe it as cheap and prone to damage' never did, never will.
You've been saying it in every post. You guessed I had a flight case because I hadn't damaged my 'cheap and plasticky' SPD-SX in five years of international touring.

He contradicted his own posts, mainly because he doesn't like Roland. But apparently that's ok. ;)

No doubt the Roland looks fantastic and it has now evolved to what is a superb piece of kit (though I am still to get my hands on one for review purposes so I can evaluate the build quality as I, personally, felt the other two Roland models felt a bit plastic in build, toy-like, and I'm hoping this new one is made from a better grade of plastic), but everybody knows it is mega-expensive

I know. What a scathing review!

Alesis has most of this at half the price. Don't want to get into a thing about this, granted, real samples instead of Roland's typical 'computer model' sounds is nice, but the Alesis has sampled acoustic drum sounds, as does the Yamaha. Customisable LEDs are also on the Alesis and the Yamaha has a great app for iPad also. No doubt the Roland looks fantastic and it has now evolved to what is a superb piece of kit (though I am still to get my hands on one for review purposes so I can evaluate the build quality as I, personally, felt the other two Roland models felt a bit plastic in build, toy-like, and I'm hoping this new one is made from a better grade of plastic), but everybody knows it is mega-expensive - just check out what the YouTube reviewers are saying - not the sycophantic reviews who are scared to say anything bad about kit in fear of said company not sending them review kit anymore ;)

I didn't say it was, in fact, I said it looks like a great product. Also, it is in my budget and even if I was a millionaire, I still would not buy one, on principle. Roland, like Apple and Sony, do seem to have their special kind of TAX ;) One thing I know for sure is the likes of Roland and Apple never come up in Black Friday offers. Black Friday offers are typically reserved for all the crap that did not sell that year.
You'd never buy one but you'd be happy to 'review it' if they sent you one?

Sounds like you're just pissed at them because they wouldn't give you one for free......:LOL:

You'd never buy one but you'd be happy to 'review it' if they sent you one?

Sounds like you're just pissed at them because they wouldn't give you one for free......:LOL:
Not true. I never get gear for free. Review kit is loan only, companies never give kit like this away and I'd never ask. Everything I review gets sent back. I have not asked Roland for one to review. I'm sure they would send me one if I asked, but even if they didn't I'm good friends with a few shop owners who would loan me one if I so wanted - at this time I don't want to review one as I'm into other things at the moment. Yes, I'd never buy one, but I'd review one, just like I'd never buy certain camera, video, audio equipment, yet I review this stuff all the time so I don't get your point here. No, not pissed, never asked anybody and I never get pissed at anything in life. I just have an opinion about stuff and if folk get upset when I express that - tuff. Sorry if I've 'offended' a few folk on here, Chris. We do live in a mollycoddled world where everybody gets 'offended' and takes everything personally. Anybody would think I'd just banged someone's wife for crying out loud ;)

Again, I don't hate Roland. I have about 2k worth of V-drum gear, a Roland Amp, 2 digital Roland pianos that cost £2,000 each so that's that theory blown out the water.

Again, I am not taking about the build quality of the latest Roland Pad, I'm talking about the first one, which I've had my hands on and, again, I did not say it was a cheap piece of crap, I said it 'felt' cheap and plasticky in the hand. There is a big difference if you analyse the sentences correctly.

Last edited:
Back