Let's see your POV/ Driver's seat pics

Nice!

What triggers the trigger? Bass drum?

Thanks! Yeah, I have one of those hoop-mounted triggers on the bass drum. I’m using it for an 808 sound, but one with a shorter decay than a “normal” 808. It has approximately the same effect as one of the speaker mics that capture sub-frequencies, such as a Yamaha SubKick.

Thanks! Yeah, I have one of those hoop-mounted triggers on the bass drum. I’m using it for an 808 sound, but one with a shorter decay than a “normal” 808. It has approximately the same effect as one of the speaker mics that capture sub-frequencies, such as a Yamaha Sub-Kick.
Do you use it frequently? Or was it just for this gig?

Nice POV pic from yesterday’s hit. Finally got to play an all-originals gig, which is a rare occurrence for me and also the reason for setting up this particular rig. Since the originals gigs usually always have multiple bands, backlining a kit is necessary. No way in hell I’m letting anyone else use my “A” rig, so I have these drums around specifically for these events.

Dee Dub Design series in gloss black finish… 12-16-22. 5” N&C snare and Giant Beat cymbals. The 18x22 bass drum is kinda ridiculous to me visually, but it sure sounds and feels great to play. 7000 series hardware and my Roland TM-1 trigger module round out the rig.

View attachment 124615
I can relate, I've been playing 16" and very shallow 18" bass drums for years. I recently picked up a cheap pearl beater kit to leave at the rehearsal space that has a 22x16 and it feels like going from a Fiat to an RV lol.

Nice POV pic from yesterday’s hit. Finally got to play an all-originals gig, which is a rare occurrence for me and also the reason for setting up this particular rig. Since the originals gigs usually always have multiple bands, backlining a kit is necessary. No way in hell I’m letting anyone else use my “A” rig, so I have these drums around specifically for these events.

Dee Dub Design series in gloss black finish… 12-16-22. 5” N&C snare and Giant Beat cymbals. The 18x22 bass drum is kinda ridiculous to me visually, but it sure sounds and feels great to play. 7000 series hardware and my Roland TM-1 trigger module round out the rig.

View attachment 124615
Stunning as always

Out of interest Ryan, do you still have your natural satin set?

Stunning as always

Out of interest Ryan, do you still have your natural satin set?

Thanks, my friend!

I no longer have the natural satin set. I sold them to help raise money for the add-on drums for my black set. I’m now down to the black Design set for backline situations and the black 333 drums for everything else.

Speaking of the 333 drums, here’s a cool POV pic of them from the gig yesterday. 😍

1FA563B4-361B-4FC6-9C09-65ECF32627F0.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, my friend!

I no longer have the natural satin set. I sold them to help raise money for the add-on drums for my black set. I’m now down to the black Design set for backline situations and the black 333 drums for everything else.

Speaking of the 333 drums, here’s a cool POV pic of them from the gig yesterday. 😍

View attachment 124659

Lovely options to have too.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, love seeing your setups on here 👍

Lovely options to have too.

Said it before and I’ll say it again, love seeing your setups on here 👍

Same for me with your setup! Seeing pics of your Slingerland drums with the black dots was an inspiration to get them back on my toms. Black dots on black drums look soooooo correct! 😃

Thanks, my friend!

View attachment 124659
I've been meaning to ask you, how do you like that tambourine donut? That's the big fat snare drum one I assume? It's been on my mind to try one, not for my snare but for my floor tom. I'm not a fill heavy drummer and most of the time don't even use toms but the band I'm in now mixes surf rock, doo wop, lounge, and old horror punk so I rely very heavily on riding a floor tom as a hi hat alternative for many verse sections. I feel like the jingle donut would make it sound like I'm not constantly thumping a floor tom in 4/4 lol. Same as how I only use hi hats and a ride so a jingle ring is a nice way to change up my ONE cymbal sound from time to time.

I've been meaning to ask you, how do you like that tambourine donut? That's the big fat snare drum one I assume? It's been on my mind to try one, not for my snare but for my floor tom. I'm not a fill heavy drummer and most of the time don't even use toms but the band I'm in now mixes surf rock, doo wop, lounge, and old horror punk so I rely very heavily on riding a floor tom as a hi hat alternative for many verse sections. I feel like the jingle donut would make it sound like I'm not constantly thumping a floor tom in 4/4 lol. Same as how I only use hi hats and a ride so a jingle ring is a nice way to change up my ONE cymbal sound from time to time.

Oh man, you’ll love it on the floor tom! Can’t really hear the jingles that much when it’s on the snare drum. They’re much more audible on the floor tom and the damping the donut provides makes for a great, very usable sound. Perfect for an alternative ride source. Like you, I love riding my floor tom, in place of hats or ride, for sections of certain songs. This thing helps out with that quite a bit.

Oh man, you’ll love it on the floor tom! Can’t really hear the jingles that much when it’s on the snare drum. They’re much more audible on the floor tom and the damping the donut provides makes for a great, very usable sound. Perfect for an alternative ride source. Like you, I love riding my floor tom, in place of hats or ride, for sections of certain songs. This thing helps out with that quite a bit.
Killer, thanks man. Much appreciated!

Took some new crashes out last weekend. Meinl Byzance Polyphonic 19" and 18".
ajmdrums-2022.10.01.jpg

Great sounding crashes. Sonically they sit between Byzance Traditionals and the Brilliants. Similar warmth as my Traditionals in the same sizes, but with longer/fuller sustain. However not too long. Not as aggressive/bright as my Brilliants in the same sizes.

Otherwise my usual set up. Yamaha Club Customs 12-16-22 with a 6.5x14 Yamaha RC Brass snare. Rounding out the cymbals are Byzance 14" Fast hats and a 22" Stadium ride.

PDP Daru Jones New Yorker, maple/poplar hybrid shells.

18" bass w/ emad over factory reso, 13" snare w/ uv1 over 300 snare, 14" floor tom w/ uv2 over factory reso.

DW 6000 ultralight hardware pack with DW 7000 pedal and aftermarket 'fluffy' beater.

Usual cymbals as of late, 14" I hats and 18" I crash ride though I am considering some other options in the near future.

I know, the floor tom is tilted. This is the first time I set the kit up and took the pic before I made adjustments.

IMG_20221004_223321334.jpg
IMG_20221004_223451305.jpg

Thank you. Bluegrass-rock. We play rock, country-rock with a banjo. For example, Bon Jovi's Livin' On a Prayer with a banjo (I play brushes on that song). It sounds crazy, but it's very fun and different.
I would love hearing this…..inspiration!

Ooh, goody, another thread to post an update to... ;)

driver-seat-1.jpg

I'm usually set up close to a wall at home so it's really tough to get a good driver seat pic.

wait. one floor tom? You scrimpin? : ) kiddin
what are you some type of jazzer?..

how much for the piano bench O man..
and is that HiHat right on your left bass drum pedal??!

I'm calling Jazzer here.. :)
are you Kenny Jones? : )
is that FT a 14?
Where's the gong drum///!!?
~~~~~~~~~~~
That's a very unique set up my friend just having fun and Kidding :)

Last edited:
Back