Bonzo envy

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
I've gone through this now and then and it's real. There are times when his playing is so profound that I've felt my own playing doesn't measure up. One goal as a drummer was to have the effect he had on things and it's never happened. It's disappointed me greatly. I've had some fun..no doubt but in the end his prowess haunts me. I've been depressed at times with the weight of this on my mind. Have any of you had such high goals that they've been unreachable?. This feeling hit me again this afternoon. It takes me awhile to snap out of it but his playing will forever be a weight I'll carry. Anyway....Dr. Phil has no answers believe me. Not asking for a pity party..just an honest judgement on your own abilities.

I'll tell you one thing I've noticed.. Guys Like Tony Williams, Buddy Rich and yes let's say John Bonham.
Gave 110% when they played. When they were behind the drums.
You or me (or the next guy.._ may give 80%.. 90%...78%.

But if you -try it some time- Give 110% and you may find you start to begin into their Zone.
Yep I mean the hands feet the whole thing of playing starts to mimic them.
But only when giving (us mere mortals) Give around 125%

The question then becomes every time you sit behind the drums at a Gig etc. Do you want to take your body up into the near 125% range (answer usually is no)
But I think -you'll find- come close- sip a little taste of "where they were at"
is Up in that "110% to 125% range..

Another word for playing in the "110% to 125%" zone is
"Playing like there's no tomorrow"

I'll tell you one thing I've noticed.. Guys Like Tony Williams, Buddy Rich and yes let's say John Bonham.

But if you -try it some time- Give 110% and you may find you start to begin into their Zone.

The question then becomes every time you sit behind the drums at a Gig etc. Do you want to take your body up into the near 125% range (answer usually is no)
But I think -you'll find- come close- sip a little taste of "where they were at"

going off of this, I think that is b/c the other guys they were with were also giving 110%

if I did that in any of my current bands, I would stick out like a sore thumb

There are many things when my heros play ‘hmmm, that’s their choice but not my choice there…’, they are human too. Part of the fun is finding what you want to play…or what comes out when you ‘go’. And their faults are beautiful, they own that. But we have our own, and that is cool too and so develop it and now you have something unique. Inspiration is great but to immortalize heros…I don’t like that notion, you have to find your own magic.

I read an interview with Robert Plant where he talks about when he and Bonham were young lads and people crossed the road to avoid them ha! Probably wouldn't get a gig these days..

When I was a teenager, I thought it'd be a more than worthy trade-off to live an unhappy life but leave an artistic legacy that would last years, even generations or centuries. I would still love to be able to play like Bonham, but I've already lived 50% longer than he did, and I've got a family I love dearly and who seems to love me. And I've decided that's a pretty fine outcome too.

Yeah, I get the sense that many of the rock bands were workaholics likes of which I see at startups these days. It probably just isn't behind the set either. Looking at the recording technologies these days, the Beatles were probably in the studio around the clock.

I think there is room for a cooler approach IMO.

Bonham set a wonderful framework of drumming to look at for inspiration. But that's it. I dont wanna play like him, I wanna play like me.

One goal as a drummer was to have the effect he had on things and it's never happened.
John checked out early for being a dumbass. You are still here. That speaks volumes.

I've gone through this now and then and it's real. There are times when his playing is so profound that I've felt my own playing doesn't measure up. One goal as a drummer was to have the effect he had on things and it's never happened. It's disappointed me greatly. I've had some fun..no doubt but in the end his prowess haunts me. I've been depressed at times with the weight of this on my mind. Have any of you had such high goals that they've been unreachable?. This feeling hit me again this afternoon. It takes me awhile to snap out of it but his playing will forever be a weight I'll carry. Anyway....Dr. Phil has no answers believe me. Not asking for a pity party..just an honest judgement on your own abilities.
I've got loads of drum heroes, but Bonham will always be my No. 1 of all time favorite.
I feel sorry for the people that don't get him.
And yes to answer your question, I do get envious of his playing. I actually can't even really listen to Zeppelin's music all that much any more because it makes me depressed that so much talent was wasted.

Buddy Rich is my favorite drummer, hands down. I have accepted the fact that I will never be anywhere near his level. Hardly anyone was or is.

Just be the best drummer you can be within your chosen style of music. That's all you can do, unless you practice for umpteen hours a day, which for most people, is not realistic.

Use Bonham as an inspiration, not an impediment.

Last edited:
going off of this, I think that is b/c the other guys they were with were also giving 110%

if I did that in any of my current bands, I would stick out like a sore thumb
You make a good point.
The one time of only a few was with excellent players all-around that were also (intense) putting out (situation) (not necessarily loud/wild just in (can be quiet) (or relaxed even) Intensity
. Good Point x-x

It is the situation. That helps getting/being in that zone.
Altho you could press it by your self (but then who'd hear it
(ha

I know exactly the couple times it happened to me. And I'll never forget it. Once was like Holy___ what did I just do there and where did it come from and the other time was this sounds exactly how it's supposed to/ or so that's how he did it (pushing yourself).

Last edited:
you know it's not like human beings that have -ever- walked this planet are all that different; two arms (usually) two legs(usually) a brain (usually 1)

this difference of pushing one's self (behind the drums) is sometimes all the difference
Not saying you have to do it- but it does provide a -key into- how "they" did it.

We're all 'endowed
more similar than we are different

could can come down to applied application..

so one should never say or be told "can't be" or can't do
Buddy Jones or Elvin Bonham or Ringo Smith didn't have any more fingers or toes (barring accidents) than you do/did.
Philly Joe Jones was the only one said to have had 11 toes
(joke there

Last edited:
you know it's not like human beings that have -ever- walked this planet are all that different; two arms (usually) two legs(usually) a brain (usually 1)

this difference of pushing one's self (behind the drums) is sometimes all the difference
Not saying you have to do it- but it does provide a -key into- how "they" did it.

We're all 'endowed
more similar than we are different
Dont forget personality. I cant see someone like Bonham playing laid back lounge tunes.

who would want him to.
O you're saying he couldn't? wait wasn't he playing a toy set with his son in their living room. Kinda mellow
total human Dad.
Or the verse in what is and what should never be; kinda bluesy mellow.

Last edited:
Back