SPD-SX Pro

Have you got yours already Chris??
Hah! Nope. That pic is from the Roland site. I think it’s a cool setup. But I only see one trigger (the bar trigger) and a v-drum. No triggers on drums! 🧐

Hah! Nope. That pic is from the Roland site. I think it’s a cool setup. But I only see one trigger (the bar trigger) and a v-drum. No triggers on drums! 🧐
I thought your kit had grown - the pst's had me convinced you'd really gone for it!!! :ROFLMAO:

There are 8 x triggers on four dual inputs on the SPD-SX Pro. They tell me the TM-6 Pro is still the best for triggering from acoustic drums, but I think you can trigger from drums anyway.

I thought your kit had grown - the pst's had me convinced you'd really gone for it!!! :ROFLMAO:
I’d love to horse around with a quintet of small tins just above my toms.

Looks decent. A more reliable version of the Alesis, looks very similar. I love the Alesis, except that it is so unreliable. I'm not a fan of the Yamaha M12 either, for a multitude of reasons. See here:

Roland is darn expensive though given the only difference between this new model and the original model seems to be mostly a glorified firmware update and a new screen ;). Well, maybe a 'little' more, but you get my point.

Much more memory, customisable LEDs, double the kits, over 1500 sounds including the acoustic drum samples we recorded at Rockfield and Real World Studios - a great desktop app.
Alesis has most of this at half the price. Don't want to get into a thing about this, granted, real samples instead of Roland's typical 'computer model' sounds is nice, but the Alesis has sampled acoustic drum sounds, as does the Yamaha. Customisable LEDs are also on the Alesis and the Yamaha has a great app for iPad also. No doubt the Roland looks fantastic and it has now evolved to what is a superb piece of kit (though I am still to get my hands on one for review purposes so I can evaluate the build quality as I, personally, felt the other two Roland models felt a bit plastic in build, toy-like, and I'm hoping this new one is made from a better grade of plastic), but everybody knows it is mega-expensive - just check out what the YouTube reviewers are saying - not the sycophantic reviews who are scared to say anything bad about kit in fear of said company not sending them review kit anymore ;)

I used my original SPD-SX (that I bought) on hundreds of live shows across the globe. never had a problem with it.
The SPD-SX Pro is expensive, as is the TM-6 Pro (which I was involved with), which is a shame, but out of my hands.
As a working musician I would want to use the best sounds though.

I used to be involved in the pricing of some of Sony's professional high end broadcast cameras many years ago and you'd be shocked as to how the team come up with the final RRP of any given piece of kit. I'm sure Roland, Apple and the likes have similar teams that decide the retail price of their goods. I tried an SPD-SX at my local music store in Cambridgeshire, but after picking it up and wrapping the top, bottom and sides with my knuckles I just felt that it was light, felt like cheap plastic, so that put me off even plugging it in and trying it. I bought the Alesis instead, which proved unreliable, even after exchanging it for a replacement, second one went back also. But I've heard (via an inside person) that Alesis are more interested in shifting boxes than fixing the bad quality control on the production line and the reliability issues that arise because of this. I also had the Yamaha M12 for a month which was kindly loaned to me via Yamaha UK, but for me, although it sounded great and the build quality was decent enough (apart from the main dial knob for Volume, if I remember correctly) it was riddled with things that I did not like so I would not buy that either. For me personally the ideal one would be the Alesis as it's half the price of the latest Roland, built really well, feels superb to play, has the LED lights and sounds amazing, but it's too darn twitchy with reliability. Lots of them are dead on arrival straight out of the box. If the latest Roland has the build quality of the Alesis, features and functions and playability and if Roland ever decide to (which they never will) slash the price to £699 then I'd probably get one, but given I've bought used cars for less than the price of the Roland (I know, silly comparison) I could never spend that amount - having a pretty good idea how Roland come up with their RRP prices at their 'How much shall we sell t his for' meetings ;) I've only ever bought Roland kit used, and that's bad enough.

Back