Replacing cam on DW 5000 double from the 80's

JimmyM

Diamond Member
I discussed in another thread how I liked the strap drive on an ancient pedal I got last week, so I ordered a strap cam for my DW 5000 to try it out, and it'll be here tomorrow early afternoon. Tried to follow along to the exploded diagram DW has for it for disassembly:

DWCP5002AD31024_1.jpg
Here's mine:

IMG_0689.JPG
IMG_0690.JPG

I tried to take it apart a few days ago and got nowhere. The spring cam for the main beater was a major culprit being different than the one in the diagram. I also couldn't get anything along the shaft that looks like it should unscrew fairly easily to unscrew fairly easily, and didn't want to just start soaking it in WD40 and possibly ruin it.

So if anyone could help a brutha out and get me on the good foot with this thing, it would be appreciated. @C. Dave Run made a valiant attempt a few days ago using the single's diagram, but unfortunately, it was for the single. Oh well...it's the thought that counts.

I'm sorry homie, I didnt realize it was a double.

On the primary side, it looks like an allen screw on either side of the spring cam to get it off. There are also allen screws on either side of the tower. Those hold the bearing collar in.

20220911_183157.jpg
20220911_183023.jpg

This loosens the cam:
20220911_183547.jpg

This loosens the beater holder:
20220911_183631.jpg

This loosens the chain from the footboard:
20220911_183751.jpg

So the spring cam comes off first. Then take out the bearing collar. Loosen the cam and beater holder, undo the chain. You should now be able to move the hex shaft side to side until the bearing comes out. Once the bearing comes out, you can remove the shaft and swap the parts.

I'm sorry homie, I didnt realize it was a double.

On the primary side, it looks like an allen screw on either side of the spring cam to get it off. There are also allen screws on either side of the tower. Those hold the bearing collar in.

View attachment 124190
View attachment 124191

This loosens the cam:
View attachment 124192

This loosens the beater holder:
View attachment 124193

This loosens the chain from the footboard:
View attachment 124194

So the spring cam comes off first. Then take out the bearing collar. Loosen the cam and beater holder, undo the chain. You should now be able to move the hex shaft side to side until the bearing comes out. Once the bearing comes out, you can remove the shaft and swap the parts.
You make it sound so easy, Dave! I hope it goes that smoothly tomorrow. Thx man, and no need to apologize since I appreciated the advice and thought I could use it to get this pedal done anyway.

Just a word of warning. At some point DW started using a thread locker. I know they started doing that some time in the late 90's, so I don't know if your pedals will have it. If the set screws feel like they don't want to loosen up you will have to use heat on them to break up the thread locker. I don't know if they used it on those like screws, but they did/do use it on the screws that go through the bottom plate. It might not be there but better you know going in so you don't strip anything.

So I tried to get the main spring cam off, and none of my hex wrenches fit in the hole. I went to the hardware store and tried their smallest ones (1.5 mm and .05”) and neither would even go in the hole. Why they would put a different kind of cam on there is beyond me, and why they used such tiny hex screws is even more baffling.

The guy at the hardware store said I need to go to a hobby shop like for drones and RC cars to get one, but I couldn’t find any smaller ones online with a Google search.

I guess I can write DW but this is probably a bad time to be working CS at DW right now. But does anyone know where to get smaller wrenches than those sizes?

Does the tab that it sits on match the secondary side? If so, I'd drill out that nonsense and use the other one. It's just got the allen screw on top. That is if I wasnt going to ever use the double.

Does the tab that it sits on match the secondary side? If so, I'd drill out that nonsense and use the other one. It's just got the allen screw on top. That is if I wasnt going to ever use the double.
Lol…well I would like to use the double. I think I’m going to contact DW.

So the guy at DW CS I emailed said he has no idea what to tell me about the cam since it’s so old. He recommended contacting auth repair shops. Um, OK.

Your secondary pedal has parts too. Or possibly convert it instead?

Agreed provided that there is the part for the bottom of the spring to attach to. If I remember correctly older DW pedals didn't have the ability to be converted to two singles. But my memory could be wrong about that, and Jimmy would know if it has it or not.

Agreed provided that there is the part for the bottom of the spring to attach to. If I remember correctly older DW pedals didn't have the ability to be converted to two singles. But my memory could be wrong about that, and Jimmy would know if it has it or not.
Pretty sure it can, but it would involve buying at least another beater cam, probably more crap, and then I can’t use it as a double.

But all is not lost…I somehow fixated on my pedals not over-rotating and I jacked up the front of the kick. Then I was reading about people who like it. Turns out that over-rotation gives me a lot more snap and a lot less mush when I lower the front. So I’m starting to lose interest.

But hey, at least I spent $28 for nothing ;)

I can't help you JimmyM, but I just have to tell you that your pedal is from the 90's.
In 1991 dw released the one-piece primary pedal/ auxiilary beater casing that your pedal has.

THIS is an 80's dw double pedal:
aebqj4nu9pyw2750hm11.jpg

For all of the effort you’re going through you might want to consider picking up a used single DW pedal and starting from there. Might be a lot less effort with better results. Unless you’re really set on the double pedal.

Back