DW sold to Roland?

The wireless is really not a big deal either. It just means that eDrums are finally joining the IoT which is a concept that’s been around for decades.

Got a Ring doorbell or a Nest thermostat?

“The Internet of things (IoT) describes physical objects (or groups of such objects) with sensors, processing ability, software, and other technologies that connect and exchange data with other devices and systems over the Internet or other communications networks. Internet of things has been considered a misnomer because devices do not need to be connected to the public internet, they only need to be connected to a network and be individually addressable.

The main concept of a network of smart devices was discussed as early as 1982, with a modified Coca-Cola vending machine at Carnegie Mellon University becoming the first ARPANET-connected appliance.”

So 40 years later, DW patents the concept and technology for drums?

Yawn…….
All this is true but the issue you're forgetting is LATENCY.

Yes, we can connect any number of devices to each other (using bluetooth most of the time) but the human brain can detect latency greater than 10 milliseconds and bluetooth (as far as I know) is yet to reduce its' signal below this threshold.

This guys are some competition of course they are using a Roland module but the hardware is theirs... and the amazing part is that all those sounds are not VSTs, they are from the module, of course after a lot of tweaking, but if you can get that out of a humble drum module.. you don't need vst's.

In order to 'improve' the onboard factory sounds they almost always pile on the FX, EQ and compression. It's ear candy, but gets tiring on your ears quite quickly. Drum sample libraries are safe and well.

And six TRS input jacks (for a total of 12 inputs), mixed down to four outputs, none of which are XLR, so a direct box is needed for long runs.
Six outputs. And the inputs aren't exactly 12 as there are six instrument slots, although you can split head and rim (for two separate sounds), you'd have to buy Snare H&R triggers rather than the tom triggers.
I've played a lot of big, big venues sending the stereo master outs of my SPD-SX only.

Gretsch themselves has never had anything directly to do with making the Catalina and other overseas models. Gretsch never made their own shells from scratch.

Gretsch owns their name, they own their building, but not much else when it comes to the drum side of the company.
Me: Hey, I have this cool last name.
Them: Nice. Let us make drums with your name on them and we’ll give you money.
Me: Ok.

After watching that video I don't understand what's in the works now. Are they electric pads on top of DW shells?

Oh I get it. Every single time a new person was put on my line production slowed and mistakes went up. That new employee can't work as fast but wants to prove themselves. Instead of paying attention they try to force it.

I was responsible for production. All of it. The only department I didnt have to be involved in was the woodshop. Boxes not built, my fault. Paint not finished, my fault. Pre-assembly not done, my fault. Assembly not done, my fault. Assembly done wrong, my fault. Stickers put on wrong, my fault. Cabinet packaged wrong/incomplete, my fault. Basically everything was on me, including training and babysitting new employees.

I had to red card (damage claim) many more things with new folks than old. Simple fact is old employees know their job inside and out. They are faster and better at it because they do it everyday.
Try training people to do complex work when they have, at best, a 4th grade education. I have had to modify all of my expectations and lower the learning curve for my entire staff. Even in the US, with all of the HOAs that do landscape, I had to teach kids how to use a weedeater and push mower, things all of us take for granted.
Training takes time and not everyone is good at it and in my personal experience, the people who create training programs have never done the actual work, they just look at a how to book and go from there.
Practical experience is the best teacher, but it also takes time. None of us sat down at a drum kit the first time and banged YYZ perfectly.

Training takes time and not everyone is good at it and in my personal experience, the people who create training programs have never done the actual work, they just look at a how to book and go from there.
Management would just basically hand me new people and say "they need to paint", or sand, build, assemble, whatever. Any experience folks brought with them didnt matter because none of that was considered.

I would often get folks who would love to tell me how great of a worker they are, then quit by first break.

It's hard being a people manager when no two people are alike.

Management would just basically hand me new people and say "they need to paint", or sand, build, assemble, whatever. Any experience folks brought with them didnt matter because none of that was considered.

I would often get folks who would love to tell me how great of a worker they are, then quit by first break.

It's hard being a people manager when no two people are alike.
I used to do some training for a former company in finance. One of the trainees was a 20 year old college intern form whom the plan was to help with with administrative stuff. (filing, documenting and ideally, learning as they worked) The intern left on their fist break and never came back. Later, HR spoke with them and they said they "needed" a job where they were an influential decision maker. So yeah...no two people are alike and you'll never really know what you're getting until they're working.

How exactly do you pull out of a deal after you sold the company? 😆
Commonly, sellers at the top director level remain at positions for a stated period of time, unusually measured in years.
Stock is released to them on a schedule over that time period that makes up much of the payment that they can turn into cash at those scheduled times. But they have to be employed there, as I understand. They get an initial large cash amount at the front.

One reason I appreciate older e-kits is the size. They have other limitations, of course.
I understand why people appreciate the acoustic looking e-kits.
I'm not really as interested in those. My acoustic drums are my life-long acoustic kit. The old mesh Vdrum kit downstairs doesn't go out to gigs, but it might sometime.

Back