Homemade Clamp

C

C. Dave Run

I have a Pearl hi hat stand that can not be modified to rotate. I want to use my double pedal with it because I like it better than my other 2 hi hat stands. I dont have a clamp available to attach it to a secondary tripod, so I decided to make one:
20220905_112237.jpg

In use:
20220905_164500.jpg

I had a long stick of 3/4" ply, about 1 3/8" wide. I believe it is Finnish birch. The long piece is 8". The two clamp parts are 3". I used a table saw to make the 45° cuts, then used a chisel. The openings are 1/2" wide in total and about 3/4" long.

I had to buy the nuts, bolts, and washers. I got them at Lowes. It was $3.86 before tax.

I would not use this to hang a tom arm, cymbal arm, or anything heavy. A small arm for a cowbell et al, maybe. For what I used it for, absolutely.

Last time I made a beater. This time I made a clamp. No idea what I will make next time. Had no idea this time either. I woke up today wanting to do this.

You made a 100% functional stick holder. That's a win.
Well I suppose, though it was far from ideal. That fliptop lid leaves a sharp ring inside that can get you if you’re not careful. Finally bought one that Vater made.

But we should be more focused on your McGyvering today, not mine. I have no idea what you did, but you done good and it looks pretty pro, though if were me I’d spray it black.

I have a Pearl hi hat stand that can not be modified to rotate. I want to use my double pedal with it because I like it better than my other 2 hi hat stands. I dont have a clamp available to attach it to a secondary tripod, so I decided to make one:
View attachment 123963

In use:
View attachment 123964

I had a long stick of 3/4" ply, about 1 3/8" wide. I believe it is Finnish birch. The long piece is 8". The two clamp parts are 3". I used a table saw to make the 45° cuts, then used a chisel. The openings are 1/2" wide in total and about 3/4" long.

I had to buy the nuts, bolts, and washers. I got them at Lowes. It was $3.86 before tax.

I would not use this to hang a tom arm, cymbal arm, or anything heavy. A small arm for a cowbell et al, maybe. For what I used it for, absolutely.

Last time I made a beater. This time I made a clamp. No idea what I will make next time. Had no idea this time either. I woke up today wanting to do this.
That's very crafty!
Can you stain it to match the set?

Is that the Lake Superior DW clamp?....must be rough to fork out 180.00 for a 150 year old clamp that divers spent weeks bringing up from the Lake. If I had that kinda 💰 I'd get one to. It's absolutely beautiful.

Back