Gifted a beater

JimmyM

Diamond Member
IMG_0671.JPG

Was talking shop with our drummer, and I mentioned I had an old Tama Power Glide pedal that takes a thinner beater shaft than the DW and PDP beaters, and that I didn't like the stock little felt beater, and I wanted one that was reversible. He pulls this out and says I can have it. I couldn't see a brand on it, so I tried to look it up, and the only ones I found that look like it go for about $12.50 on Ebay. Looks pretty solid, though, and it fits in the Tama.

I've been messing with it on the practice kit, and it's not bad. Lighter than the other beaters, but I seem to favor light beaters anyway. I also like that it extends out a smidge further, so you can get closer to not having to go past straight up and down to hit the head. Anything to work less hard. We'll see how it goes in time but first impression is favorable.

Anyone else ever use these beaters before?

Is the 'not felt part' solid plastic or rubber? I had a double headed beater years ago too, one side having a felt beater and the other side just a hard plastic beater. Only downside was that the hard plastic beater came in at and angle and not flat on the head: i destroyed 2 bass drums heads that way because after a while the edge of the hard plastic beater would just act like a knife. So make sure that won't happen ;)

Anyway; have been using the Tama Iron Cobra wood beaters for years know and love those!

1661594130885.png

Is the 'not felt part' solid plastic or rubber? I had a double headed beater years ago too, one side having a felt beater and the other side just a hard plastic beater. Only downside was that the hard plastic beater came in at and angle and not flat on the head: i destroyed 2 bass drums heads that way because after a while the edge of the hard plastic beater would just act like a knife. So make sure that won't happen ;)

Anyway; have been using the Tama Iron Cobra wood beaters for years know and love those!

View attachment 123516
That's kind of what the beater I got with mine looks like except it's felt. A little different, but same principle.

Anyway, this new one is plastic, and I was wondering about that edge on it, but fortunately, it hits my bass drum head almost dead flat. But that is definitely a concern I have, even with the good placement. It's like a plastic slug beater.

Reactions: iCe
I use one of these on my mid range Tama pedal. (On my practice kit) Cheap on ebay. I believe its a copy of the Sonor.
The shaft bent a little after a while, but I was able to bend it back.
I used it with a bass drum riser because it had a bit more reach.

That is a Sonor SCH 28 beater. Cant beat free.

I've not used one of these particularly, but I do use the Pearl Duo beater which is very similar, only the surfaces are curved so it meets the head flat regardless of angle. I'm a fan.

That is a Sonor SCH 28 beater. Cant beat free.

I've not used one of these particularly, but I do use the Pearl Duo beater which is very similar, only the surfaces are curved so it meets the head flat regardless of angle. I'm a fan.
Hey, sweet! You are right, Dave. Have to say it’s a little odd feeling being lighter than my other beaters but I think I like it.

driven past them many times on the way to a gig
Ok, I have to confess that I didn’t get that. I hesitated to say because I thought it may come to me eventually, but it never did.

So many things to like about that Sonor beater but its lightness is throwing me off. I think I could make it work with a weight, though. It doesn’t feel as responsive as the PDPs, and I think it needs a little top weight. Next time I order something I’ll get one.

we're all pulling for you Jimmy!

Back