I've been selected by Sony to order a PS5 tomorrow :-/

eric_B

Well, it probably doesn't get more drums unrelated than this but are there any gamers over here?
I didn't do a pre-order on the Playstation 5 in 2020 so after 21 months of 'no stock' messages - or make a big profit for profiteers - I might have a chance to buy one now.
Sony sent a message a while ago to PS Plus members to 'be able to maybe order one'. I entered the 'contest' and apparently got selected.
If I remember correctly it will still be a surprise if I can order the disc or just the 'crippled' version. We'll see.

I'm not much of a gamer myself but the family will be happy.

Wow..nice surprise!. Let the young ones play once in awhile to. Maybe put a post it sticker on the fridge..gamestation is open from 3 to 4am Monday thru Friday. That way they all know you didn't just get it for yourself.

I was lucky enough to spot the Xbox Series X in stock at Microsoft somewhere early June. Immediately ordered it. When it was first released i thought 'meh, going to wait until the price drop or during a sale' only to have the chip shortage messing up my plans. Heavily used my Xbox One for gaming and Netflix etc. that last 6 or so years and it started to show signs that the poor thing is up for retirement haha (fans blazing after starting a game for like 10 mins, didn't do that before), so wanted to replace it since it's also our home media center for music and movies. Did install RDR2 again and dear lord... the X is fast! Looks better as well too!
Bought Dying Light 2 last week and sadly it's a broken game; textures don't load well, so you got weird flashes or beams in the screen, not to mention other stuff just floating in the air sometimes. But when the game doesn't do that, it looks amazing!

Also have a gaming PC and play a mixed bunch of games, but Minecraft (Java) has been the #1 since it got it. Just live playing Hard Mode and try to survive without dying too much and eventually build farms that make life easy in the game. In the process of building a huge skyscraper which will be my base, but building and designing this thing on the go takes some serious time in survival mode!

Besides that started playing Star Wars: The Old Republic again. Didn't play for several years and there has been new content to check out, so started playing again and see if i can find a nice guild to do some end game stuff once i reach level 80.

Well, Sony setup a rather wonky order system: being queued for over an hour and experiencing log in time-outs when I finally was about to buy :mad:
- luckily refreshing the page didn't kick me out.
But it appears I did succesfully order a PS5 Forbidden West bundle, it should arrive in a week :)

PlayStation or Xbox; both are great consoles. Nothing like waiting on a new computer when you ordered it. Enjoy the wait! :D
Took around a week for me as well.

When it was first released i thought 'meh, going to wait until the price drop or during a sale' only to have the chip shortage messing up my plans.
I thought the same, no need to pre-order or be the first to buy.
But when stock kept being sold out within minutes for almost 2 years, I thought I would give it a shot when Sony gave me the chance to enter the draw.
Crazy times (for gaming consoles): new games and accessoires are plenty available but the devices you need to use them aren't.

Reactions: iCe
Yes! Nice one.

I was quite fortunate in that I snagged one in February 2021. The problem is, it's let down by a lack of current gen games. Most of the games I play are essentially PS4 games with a paint job. Even Forbidden West (which I don't have) is "cross gen", so still somewhat scaled for the PS4. Let me know how you like it. I wasn't a fan of Zero Dawn for a number of reasons, but I'm tempted by this one.

May I recommend the Hitman World of Assassination trilogy (get Hitman 3, and then purchase the content packs of the previous two games). It's an excellent, fun, and extremely deep puzzle sandbox that looks and runs amazingly.

Also, try to get the middle PS+ package (Extra). The free games library is huge, and will save you a lot of money you might have otherwise spent on some of the games in it.

Has anyone tried RedDead 2 on the PS5? I love this game-so any improvement in gaming would prompt an upgrade.

Yes! Nice one.

I was quite fortunate in that I snagged one in February 2021. The problem is, it's let down by a lack of current gen games. Most of the games I play are essentially PS4 games with a paint job. Even Forbidden West (which I don't have) is "cross gen", so still somewhat scaled for the PS4. Let me know how you like it. I wasn't a fan of Zero Dawn for a number of reasons, but I'm tempted by this one.

May I recommend the Hitman World of Assassination trilogy (get Hitman 3, and then purchase the content packs of the previous two games). It's an excellent, fun, and extremely deep puzzle sandbox that looks and runs amazingly.

Also, try to get the middle PS+ package (Extra). The free games library is huge, and will save you a lot of money you might have otherwise spent on some of the games in it.
I also have Horizon Zero Dawn for PS4, I'll check out how it compares with this version.
And I'm looking to add a couple of games which showcase the PS5 features.
It seems there are several pre-orders for games expected end of the year.

I remember in 80s I bought an Intellivision and every game they produced for that series. It was a major draw to my apartment back in the day-I'd wake up and find a room full of people in my living room gaming I didn't know. It was Neolithic gaming in comparison to today.

I remember in 80s I bought an Intellivision and every game they produced for that series. It was a major draw to my apartment back in the day-I'd wake up and find a room full of people in my living room gaming I didn't know. It was Neolithic gaming in comparison to today.
I remember my first experience with gaming (and computers in general) was when my dad rented an Atari 2600 for a week in the early 80s.
You had to tune the TV manually and was stoked when you finally pick up the signal - which was crappy but it didn't matter.

Well, it probably doesn't get more drums unrelated than this but are there any gamers over here?
I didn't do a pre-order on the Playstation 5 in 2020 so after 21 months of 'no stock' messages - or make a big profit for profiteers - I might have a chance to buy one now.
Sony sent a message a while ago to PS Plus members to 'be able to maybe order one'. I entered the 'contest' and apparently got selected.
If I remember correctly it will still be a surprise if I can order the disc or just the 'crippled' version. We'll see.

I'm not much of a gamer myself but the family will be happy.

Been my experience that emails such as that are scammers wanting your info

I remember my first experience with gaming (and computers in general) was when my dad rented an Atari 2600 for a week in the early 80s.
You had to tune the TV manually and was stoked when you finally pick up the signal - which was crappy but it didn't matter.

Pong anyone? :)

Yes! Nice one.

Also believe that for the Xbox X there aren't much 'dedicated' games. Did buy the optimized version of Dying Light 2 for Xbox S/X, but the graphics have too much glitches and issues. Lines and stripes appearing out of nowhere and while playing yesterday i almost fell to death: while running fast over rooftops i thought a couple lines where pipes between buildings which i could use to traverse the street. Nope, glitches and fell to the ground way too hard on a zombie infested street xD

Has anyone tried RedDead 2 on the PS5? I love this game-so any improvement in gaming would prompt an upgrade.

Don't have the PS5, but an Xbox X and have played RDR2 on Xbox One and installed it on the X. Huge improvement! Game loads waaaayyyy faster and also looks better IMO. Even better than on my high end PC! Can imagine that the PS5 version would have a similar experience :)

Don't have the PS5, but an Xbox X and have played RDR2 on Xbox One and installed it on the X. Huge improvement! Game loads waaaayyyy faster and also looks better IMO. Even better than on my high end PC! Can imagine that the PS5 version would have a similar experience :)

Sadly not. It does load way faster, but is still locked at 30fps and standard 1080p resolution. It's a real shame, because the game is fantastic but the PS5 upgrade has been scrapped.

I picked up mine pretty close to release - there was a store here that had them in stock but they made you buy a bunch of accessories and like 4 games so it was like $1400 and that's how they mitigated flippers and stuff like that.

I haven't played it NEARLY as much as I would have suspected - but that's because I was trying to juggle a day job and music and have been on tour like all summer after finally leaving my day job (YAY) - so I have a couple weeks home....might download the newest call of duty and go shoot 'em up for a bit.

The family didn't really use it much either - they LOVE, LOVE the Nintendo Switch and we can all play awesome family games on the switch - so that's been the primary console(s - as each girl has their own).

Back