What equipment is needed to listen to CDs through headphones and speakers simultaneously while playing acoustic drums?

CaliTraci

My landlord has given me the task of getting him set up with cd player, speakers, and headphones listen to when he practices. His current cd player and speakers have bit the dust. A professional drummer friend of mine suggested the headphones used on one ear/behind one ear. I'm not a musician myself and not sure what I need to make this happen for him.

The current wisdom is to wear somewhat sound isolating headphones to deaden the sound of the drums a bit - in order to protect the player's hearing. Drums just shouldn't listened to up close without hearing protection.

The best of these would likely be the GK Ultraphones.... though there are plenty of less expensive "drummer's phones" that would likely serve his needs.

Generally them it is just a matter of plugging the phones into the CD player.

That's it - IMO speakers really play no part in playing along with acoustic drums.... the drums are just too loud. And with the need for hearing protection - why blast more sound into the room (and the neighbor's home) - only to be wearing headphones anyway.

I haven't had speakers on while playing since I was 10 (before I got headphones) and basically trashed the speakers in my small bed room stereo.

I practice using a CD player boom-box with a 1/8 inch mini stereo connector. I *halfway* plug in some Sennheiser headphones and manage to get audio through both the headphones and the boom-box speakers. That way I can hear the CD through the headphones and block most of the acoustic drum sound with the headphones while listening at normal volume. I can also hear the boom-box speakers and can "play over" them with my acoustic drums. The drum sound is a bit attenuated by the headphones, but since I know what sounds each drum makes, it doesn't bother me to have them attenuated. It might take some finagling to find the right amount of "halfway" insertion of the headphone jack or it may not work at all - I just might be lucky. Hope you find a solution.

Any small stereo system will do. But there’s a difference in how he wants to hear everything. I agree with the GK Ultraphones as headphones because those will block out all of the outside noise - so when he’s listening to music, he doesn’t have to crank it up so loud as to damage his hearing. But the trade off is that he won’t hear his drums as clearly (if he wants that). If he’s ok with the drums being fairly muffled when he plays, then any stereo (or playback device) will be fine with the Ultraphones.

If he wants to hear his drums, then he’d need a mixing board of some kind, so he can plug his music playback device into it, and a bass drum mic and overhead mic too. Then he can mix the three so everything sounds balanced, and with the Ultraphones he can keep that listening level down.

What does he want?

He says he wants to hear the music and drums. My pro friend suggested the headphones, and I think he'd like to have the music in his ear(s) rather than try to listen only to the speakers. He wants me to find him a set up. I'm wondering if he needs a mixer? I'm not familiar with mixers but it sounds like I could plug in each component, the cd player, the speakers, and the headphones so that all 3 will play simultaneously?

Any small stereo system will do. But there’s a difference in how he wants to hear everything. I agree with the GK Ultraphones as headphones because those will block out all of the outside noise - so when he’s listening to music, he doesn’t have to crank it up so loud as to damage his hearing. But the trade off is that he won’t hear his drums as clearly (if he wants that). If he’s ok with the drums being fairly muffled when he plays, then any stereo (or playback device) will be fine with the Ultraphones.

If he wants to hear his drums, then he’d need a mixing board of some kind, so he can plug his music playback device into it, and a bass drum mic and overhead mic too. Then he can mix the three so everything sounds balanced, and with the Ultraphones he can keep that listening level down.

What does he want?
He's a pretty basic guy. I think adding mics would be "too much trouble" for him 🤔

I practice using a CD player boom-box with a 1/8 inch mini stereo connector. I *halfway* plug in some Sennheiser headphones and manage to get audio through both the headphones and the boom-box speakers. That way I can hear the CD through the headphones and block most of the acoustic drum sound with the headphones while listening at normal volume. I can also hear the boom-box speakers and can "play over" them with my acoustic drums. The drum sound is a bit attenuated by the headphones, but since I know what sounds each drum makes, it doesn't bother me to have them attenuated. It might take some finagling to find the right amount of "halfway" insertion of the headphone jack or it may not work at all - I just might be lucky. Hope you find a solution.
That sounds like an idea. Does it affect the loudness of the speakers? He wants me to find high watt speakers. Currently he places them on the coffee table 5 ft in front of the set, but I'm wondering about putting them on stands behind/to the side of him

Will I need mics if I use a mixer?
Short answer: Yes.

The mics are what bring the sound of the drums into the mixer.

He's probably better starting with the headphones suggested above. All you have to do is plug then into any music source (phone, ipod/pad, Walkman, etc...). Granted, they will muffle the sound of his drums, but they will also protect his hearing as well. He could always use those same headphones with a mixer as well, if he decides that the drums are too muffled.

Last edited:
I found him Sony 7506 headphones. He definitely wants speakers also. Is there such an animal as a cd player that will allow headphones and speakers to play simultaneously? I can't seem to find any online . Most likely I'm not looking in the right places, thus my need for help! Lol

Usually, the headphone jack overrides the output of any speakers once a pair of headphones are plugged in.
Unfortunately, I don't know of any stereo system/CD player that I've ever come across that outputs to both simultaneously. Hopefully, someone will chime in if there is.

Usually, the headphone jack overrides the output of any speakers once a pair of headphones are plugged in.
Unfortunately, I don't know of any stereo system/CD player that I've ever come across that outputs to both simultaneously. Hopefully, someone will chime in if there is.
I was wondering if that's what a mixer would do? But it sounds like I would then need to place mic(s).

What about a dj or "party" unit? I've seen djs wearing headphones while I enjoy the music?
I apologize for my inexperienced questions, and I truly appreciate all of your input.

I use my phone and earbuds. The silicone inserts seal my ear canal and block plenty of drum volume. Others may have different results.

If you buy a Y-splitter cable you can send 1 signal to 2 devices, such as headphones and speakers.

Headphones plugged into 100 watt receiver capable of turning speakers on/off. CD player plugged into receiver. 3-way speakers. My headphones also have volume control.

Last edited:
Right, and placing the mics correctly (plural-more than one) will be a big pain in the butt. Not to mention, mixing these separate mics into a useable mix depending on both the placement of said mics, and the acoustics of the room itself, opens up a whole other can of worms. Doing it correctly is truly a bit of a science to say the least.

Absolutely no problems asking questions, that's how we learn around here. I'm not experienced enough with DJ equipment to help much with that, but aren't the DJs usually cueing up the next song in their headphones through a mixer of some sort. An old friend of mine way back in the day was heavy into House music, and had gotten two turntables and a mixer as a HS graduation present from his parents. I messed around with them a little bit, but was in no way a mixmaster by any means. LOL!

Dave's suggestion of a Y-splitter cable might work depending on the inputs of whatever is driving the speakers.

Headphones plugged into 100 watt receiver. CD player plugged into receiver.
Will both output at the same time, or will the headphone jack override the speaker output?
I guess it would depend on the receiver.

Will both output at the same time, or will the headphone jack override the speaker output?
I guess it would depend on the receiver.
Yes, both will output at the same time, if the receiver allows for speaker on and off, A/B control. Works for me and my Yamaha receiver, not my Sony.

Yes, both will output at the same time, if the receiver allows for speaker on and off, A/B control. Works for me and my Yamaha receiver, not my Sony.
See, that is good information to know. Thanks for sharing.

Our old Fisher receiver had the had the A/B speaker on and off buttons, as well as our current Yamaha receiver.
I haven't run any headphones through the Yamaha, and I couldn't recall if our old Fisher system handled the result of plugging in headphones and the A/B speaker switches in the same way.

Back