Pearl Masters Maple Complete or Masters Maple Gum. Which & Why ??

earman67

Thoughts ?? ($$ aside) on these 2 Specific kits !!

Masters Maple Complete
or
Masters Maple Gum….

Pick one and explain choice ?
Thanks 🥁

Last edited:
Since it’s Pearls’ attempt at doing the Gretsch thing, I’d get a Gretsch USA Custom.
Thanks for your reply, I’m very aware of the whole “Gretch” thing but love Pearls hardware etc. was looking for a comparison of the 2 specific kits.
Thanks 👍🏻

Since it’s Pearls’ attempt at doing the Gretsch thing, I’d get a Gretsch USA Custom.
Nah you get six lugged 10” and 12” toms, also no interior fence paint.

To OP it comes down to tonality that you like or gravitate to.
Both mostly have maple so there is that commonality.

Masters Maple gives you more warmth, but at 6 plies of North American maple at 45 degree bearing edges, enhance their tone a bit.

Maple/Gum is 6 plies with 2 gum and 4 maple, outer 60 degree bearing edge will get you a clearer tone than maple, especially with Pearl locking in on this shell during their Sonic Studio Select Recipes.

Last edited:
Nah you get six lugged 10” and 12” toms, also no interior fence paint.

To OP it comes down to tonality that you like or gravitate to.
Both mostly have maple so there is that commonality.

Masters Maple gives you more warmth, but at 6 plies of North American maple at 45 degree bearing edges, enhance their tone a bit.

Maple/Gum is 6 plies with 2 gum and 4 maple, outer 60 degree bearing edge will get you a clearer tone than maple, especially with Pearl locking in on this shell during their Sonic Studio Select Recipes.
Wondering same thing as OP. Maple/Gum is a big step up in price and trying to determine if the upgrades justify the cost.

I've only heard those masters maple gum sets in videos but its the first pearl set in about a decade which has actually sounded interesting. I'd got for them. They're sound great.

Well, the first thing I would point out is that there is a $2,000 difference in the 4 piece shell packs. So, whatever advantage you may find in the Maple Gum kit would need to be significant. My kit is a Session Studio Select but I do play a Masters Maple Complete snare and I absolutely love it! Very versatile tuning range. I can tune it to a medium-high tone and get a very wide array of snare sounds by adjusting the tension of the wires. Of course, a lot of that (maybe all of that) is my ability to tune a drum. And, I am certain that the Maple Gum kit would be every bit as versatile. From what I can see (and hear) though, I would go with the Masters Maple Complete. I don't see the extra $2k in value for the Maple Gum.

Edit: You said money aside and I missed that so my comment is pretty much useless now.

Wondering same thing as OP. Maple/Gum is a big step up in price and trying to determine if the upgrades justify the cost.
It really depends on the sound your after, I’m not sure that it’s enough to justify but here’s some things to consider.
(I don’t think I’d be able to hear much of a difference as they both share a high degree of maple.)

Firstly, this series is marketed to have that locked in studio sound, and I’m sure they’ve made sure it fits the bill in trifecta of sound, quality, and looks.

Also, it stems from the fact that there were a limited number of the maple gum’s in production, due to popularity they’ve specifically rolled these out in more ‘affordable’ outfit in the first step or line of the Masterwork’s series.
Pearl tapped into their Masterworks, Reference, and Music City lines to appoint the kit with high quality features that come together pretty well, well above the class of MMC and what my STS has.

From the Music City series, they’re lending their Music City Custom program.
You get a wider array of painstakingly beautiful finishes and a little more configuration array, and hand lacquers that come from Reference series.

For instance the Maple Gum series go through a 26-28? step process to ensure the quality standard, so there’s more time in that. Examples such as hand rubbed maple, and all their lacquers are done by hand.

From the Reference/Masterwork’s series, they really took it up another level with hardware appointments.

Here are some highlighted differences from the MG and MMC such as -

Maple Gum:
  • lb200 floor tom bracket
  • aluminum opti mounts
  • Sp300 bass spurs
  • Mastercast or die cast hoops
  • Outer 60 degree bearing edge
  • Remo USA
Master’s Maple Complete:
  • Lb40 floor tom bracket
  • black and chrome opti mounts
  • Sp30 bass spurs
  • Superhoop II or 2.3 mm triple flange hoops
  • Remo UT
  • 45 degree bearing edge
  • Both come with the cl bridge lugs for enhanced shell vibration
If your mind compels, you can research each of these considerations and compared features, and decide if it’s worth it or not to you.

Last edited:
Back