Please help with some advice on drum value

Evanb

Hi guys I'm new here and need some help. I'm gonna start to learn to play the drums as my father has always wanted to teach me. He has found an old pearl drumkit that needs some work but is determined to get them. I have no clue on what they are and if there any good dad thinks there from the late 1970s and says u can't compare in the sounds with these older kits plus he wants to restore them with me like a little project. Before we make the purchase does anyone have any clue on what there worth? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly guys 😊

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220730-003223_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20220730-003223_Messenger.jpg
    189.2 KB · Views: 42
How much are they asking for them?

An old entry-level kit in the condition like this one is in wouldn't be worth very much here in the U.S..
I wouldn't pay more than $150-$250 U.S. for the whole kit. I can see right off the bat that the bass drum is missing at least one full lug, if not two.

Last edited:
It's a stencil kit with Pearl stickers.

There are only 4 lugs per tom. The spurs are wrong. The badge is wrong.

This is a 70s Pearl badge. They changed it in 1981 I believe:
20220729_100451.jpg

The thing that says Pearl on those drums looks like an Export badge from the late 90s:
20220729_100849.jpg

I would not waste my time with that kit. Also, the person who is trying to pass it off as Pearl should have their fingers broken.

This is a real 70s Pearl kit:
20220729_101621.jpg

It's a stencil kit with Pearl stickers.

There are only 4 lugs per tom. The spurs are wrong. The badge is wrong.

This is a 70s Pearl badge. They changed it in 1981 I believe:
View attachment 122288

The thing that says Pearl on those drums looks like an Export badge from the late 90s:
View attachment 122289

I would not waste my time with that kit. Also, the person who is trying to pass it off as Pearl should have their fingers broken.

This is a real 70s Pearl kit:
View attachment 122290
Good call on the badges Dave.

The white Pearl kit that you posted above is a far superior kit (in many ways) to whatever kit that Evenb and his dad are looking at. I'm sure that there are much better used kits, that are affordable, out there to be found.

Last edited:
This is all just my opinion. They're worth about 100 bucks. Your Dad shouldn't pay more than 100 dollars for that kit.

You want your toms to have 6 lugs, bass drum 8 or 10 lugs, snare drum 8 or 10 lugs. Anything less is not worth restoring IMO with certain exceptions.

But if you must get this kit, it'll be good enough to play on. Think of it like you are restoring a Yugo car. Not worth the time and money by my way of thinking, but will do what it's supposed to do.

Me I'd pass. I'd recommend you or your Dad spend about 500 for a good used shell pack, and just play them. What your kit is worth and learning to play a little have nothing in common. Don't make your priorities the drums themselves, your priority is supposed to be all about learning to play those drums. But YOU have to want it, not your Dad. I mean that respectfully. Your Dad sounds more into it than you, but I could be way off there. That's just the impression I'm getting. It's not a bad thing, I'd just like to see you more into it than your Dad.

Good call on the badges Dave.

The white Pearl kit that you posted above is a far superior kit (in many ways) to whatever kit that Evenb and his dad were looking at. I'm sure that there are much better used kits, that are affordable out there to be found.
Most definitely.

Even stencil kits can be fine. That particular one is missing parts. It being passed off as something it's not is problematic to me.

I've found it: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kei...ms/7-piece-pearl-drum-set-vintage-/1298930948
$250 is too much. The seller is either trying to rip off people or doesn't know anything - both options are reason enough to stay away from it.
Restoring is fun, but only if you end up with a decent set. This kit will never be a good one and you'll have to deal with broken and missing parts. Those cheap pot metal fittings will probably crack when you take it apart. It's not worth your time, even if it's free.

Most definitely.

Even stencil kits can be fine. That particular one is missing parts. It being passed off as something it's not is problematic to me.
Agreed and agreed.

I still have my first kit which is a Maxwin by Pearl five piece stencil kit.
It served me well, not only as a starter kit, but for many, many years after.
Just like countless other drummers experienced with their Pearl Export kits.

Hi guys I'm new here and need some help. I'm gonna start to learn to play the drums as my father has always wanted to teach me. He has found an old pearl drumkit that needs some work but is determined to get them. I have no clue on what they are and if there any good dad thinks there from the late 1970s and says u can't compare in the sounds with these older kits plus he wants to restore them with me like a little project. Before we make the purchase does anyone have any clue on what there worth? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you kindly guys 😊

For your first set that’s a good find I don’t care what the popular opinion is. Sure maybe the pots WILL crack. So what! Who gives a shirt it’s your first set! Pound the hell out of them. It’s worthy of your beginning journey

Agreed and agreed.

I still have my first kit which is a Maxwin by Pearl five piece stencil kit.
It served me well, not only as a starter kit, but for many, many years after.
Just like many other drummers experienced with their Pearl Export kits.

Same! My first set I garbage picked a maxwin set and replaced all the heads etc. for a first set they were fine

I've found it: https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kei...ms/7-piece-pearl-drum-set-vintage-/1298930948
$250 is too much. The seller is either trying to rip off people or doesn't know anything - both options are reason enough to stay away from it.
Restoring is fun, but only if you end up with a decent set. This kit will never be a good one and you'll have to deal with broken and missing parts. Those cheap pot metal fittings will probably crack when you take it apart. It's not worth your time, even if it's free.

Sounds like the seller is prioritizing selling the cymbals, hi-hat. 250 is a little high. Tell them 175 IF the cymbals don’t have keyholes and the hi hat is functional

This is all just my opinion. They're worth about 100 bucks. Your Dad shouldn't pay more than 100 dollars for that kit.

You want your toms to have 6 lugs, bass drum 8 or 10 lugs, snare drum 8 or 10 lugs. Anything less is not worth restoring IMO with certain exceptions.

But if you must get this kit, it'll be good enough to play on. Think of it like you are restoring a Yugo car. Not worth the time and money by my way of thinking, but will do what it's supposed to do.

Me I'd pass. I'd recommend you or your Dad spend about 500 for a good used shell pack, and just play them. What your kit is worth and learning to play a little have nothing in common. Don't make your priorities the drums themselves, your priority is supposed to be all about learning to play those drums. But YOU have to want it, not your Dad. I mean that respectfully. Your Dad sounds more into it than you, but I could be way off there. That's just the impression I'm getting. It's not a bad thing, I'd just like to see you more into it than your Dad.

Yea he’s right^^

I recently returned to drumming after years away and since it’s like starting over I got this set 5 pc one cymbal single foot pedal hi hat everything I need to begin again 500$

Attachments

• 50DDFB4B-1203-420C-BA41-3591C14072C2.jpeg
    50DDFB4B-1203-420C-BA41-3591C14072C2.jpeg
    540 KB · Views: 9
Back