Pearl Sensitone, detuning issues?

Jamos33

Anyone had issues with these drums detuning themselves rather quickly? Saw on some reviews it was an issue but didn't think it would be too bad, Last night playing in a hot room, my 6.5" Alu, seemed to loosen up pretty quickly, as well as the wires loosening up too. First time playing the snare so still getting used to it but I'm a little alarmed after spending some money on it. Still sounds great but I don't want to be tuning it up after every song. Any advice / input appreciated.

Could be the temp, could be it’s not settled in yet, could be a few different things, but there’s really not enough info, and since it’s your first time with it, maybe you just need to give it a little more time to get straight with it.

I’ve had no issues with my bronze sensitone when I play, but another band used my kit, the drummer played constant rimshots, and the lug at 7 o’clock went completely loose during their 40 minute set.

I’ve had no issues with my bronze sensitone when I play, but another band used my kit, the drummer played constant rimshots, and the lug at 7 o’clock went completely loose during their 40 minute set.
I was playing a few rimshots so could have been that, first time being played too as I mentioned so perhaps the heads needed settling in a bit more.

If it’s a new one, which seems like it is reading your last posts, why not reach back out to your retailer to see about getting new lugs for it. Pearl should have no issues supplying them.

I don’t think it should de tune that quickly if it’s new, but depending on how long you’ve had it at this point, and of course dynamics, it should still hold fast for a while at least.

But then again, if you have the Heritage Sensi those come with the BRL lugs which are bridged to float off the shell, I have no experience with those lugs, both mine have the ARL or the arch tube lugs with brass inserts.
Both ARL/BRL use the same rod the t061l/6.
I know this is stupid, maybe try resetting your head to make sure it’s even tension then tune and see if that does anything.

My 2 Sensi’s have no issues at all, I’ve had the bronze almost 2 years and the copper since February ‘22.

I am somewhat of a frequent rim shot player -@Morrisman mentions pretty much in the 7 o’clock area.

If it’s a new one, which seems like it is reading your last posts, why not reach back out to your retailer to see about getting new lugs for it. Pearl should have no issues supplying them.

I don’t think it should de tune that quickly if it’s new, but depending on how long you’ve had it at this point, and of course dynamics, it should still hold fast for a while at least.

But then again, if you have the Heritage Sensi those come with the BRL lugs which are bridged to float off the shell, I have no experience with those lugs, both mine have the ARL or the arch tube lugs with brass inserts.
Both ARL/BRL use the same rod the t061l/6.
I know this is stupid, maybe try resetting your head to make sure it’s even tension then tune and see if that does anything.

My 2 Sensi’s have no issues at all, I’ve had the bronze almost 2 years and the copper since February ‘22.

I am somewhat of a frequent rim shot player -@Morrisman mentions pretty much in the 7 o’clock area.
I'm going to put some different heads and wires on this week, gives me a chance to take it apart and will check the lug screws on the inner shell. It could just be more in my head, I don't know at the moment. I saw on the Pearl Sensitone review video by Drum Centre Portsmouth that the brass inserts can having something to do with the screws loosening more quickly. I have the CL-65 Bridge Lugs on mine. I'll get the new heads and wires on go from there. Thanks for the advice.

New drum heads stretch especially if the drum hasn't been played much. Same with snare cord. It takes a few hours of playing and retuning for everything to settle.

I own both a Sensitone Aluminum and a Sensitone NOB. No real detuning issues. The Sensitone snares I have utilize stainless steel tension rods which are usually smoother than standard rods which can have burrs that can somewhat aid in providing grip. Maybe use some locking nuts on the offending lungs, perhaps?

If I tune low I expect my snare to detune gradually.

My sensitone definitely does, but so do other branded drums that I own.

If you don't want to tune up a bit I would maybe try those lug lock things.

Occasionally I'll have a lug vibrate it's way loose. If your threads are nice and smooth and the rods turn freely it isnt unusual. Rimshots will make it worse, as will continually pummeling the snare.

This is just the nature of the instrument. Some do it more than others, some of us help the process along more than others.

Back