Roland CY-15R to TD-15, latter does not have right input trigger?

MrWriter

I just bought a Roland CY-15R cymbal for my TD-15 kit but the cymbal has. two output jacks for bell, bow, edge etc, but my TD-15 module only has one 'Crash 2' trigger in so when I connect a single cable I only have edge and bow of the cymbal, but no bell.

Suggestions?

Makes sense. I unplugged the two cables that were in my cy-13r and plugged them into the cy-15r instead and then took 'Crash 2' trigger port from module and plugged that into the old cy-13r and have it plugged into the edge/bow socket so cy-13r is now working as crash two and the bell does not work on it, but for a crash I don't need the bell on that anyway so all sorted.

Thanks, Doraemon

Yeah on my TD-11 I think the Crash 2 port is literally just for a two-zone crash.
That port won't fully support a ride pad. But your solution is perfect. Some folks might have told you to buy another crash pad but using the old ride pad for a crash works too.

I don't even use the default assignments for the "top" zones on the crash pads. Because the edge strike is the actual crash sound, I like to assign the "edge sounds" of other chinas and splashes to the "top zone" of each crash pad. This makes my two-crash kit play and record like it has twice as many cymbals.

Also the very edge of your ride pad can be assigned to a heavy china or a stack sound. It adds a heavy metal element to your kit, and you might not even miss the gongy ride edge sound, depending on what kind of music you are playing.

It sounds hard to believe but giving up the default "ride edge" sound on a couple of your preset kits shouldn't really hold you back. The individual sounds on a V-Kit are so clean that you can do alot with a little.
And even if you trade the ride edge sound for something different, there is still a 'ride slap' sound available if you play up high on the bow near the bell. I use the slap sound way more than the edge anyway, which I usually only need for jazz stuff.

It sounds hard to believe but giving up the default "ride edge" sound on a couple of your preset kits shouldn't really hold you back. The individual sounds on a V-Kit are so clean that you can do alot with a little.
And even if you trade the ride edge sound for something different, there is still a 'ride slap' sound available if you play up high on the bow near the bell. I use the slap sound way more than the edge anyway, which I usually only need for jazz stuff.
On a TD-11 you can have up to 7 cymbals if you use the extra cymbal input and split the 3 tom zones and you still have a cable for a 3rd zone for a ride if you own one. I don't have a 3 zone ride, but I do have 7 cymbals because who uses the secondary zone on the toms for anything other than cymbals? I
If you want to make your own splitters check V-Drum Tips on YouTube. And no, regular splitters won't work well with Roland, you need to add a 100 Ohm resistor.

All sorted now with the CY-15R. Took the original 13R wires from main TD15 loom for the new 15R and then just used the Crash 2 input for the 13R to use 13R as a second crash so sorted. I've also since bought another PDX-100 to use as a fourth tom tom as third tom tom was a PDX-100 so I'm a four tom tom kit guy now. Look out Phil Collins here I come - joke!

All sorted now with the CY-15R. Took the original 13R wires from main TD15 loom for the new 15R and then just used the Crash 2 input for the 13R to use 13R as a second crash so sorted. I've also since bought another PDX-100 to use as a fourth tom tom as third tom tom was a PDX-100 so I'm a four tom tom kit guy now. Look out Phil Collins here I come - joke!
On the TD-11 and the TD-15 (and some other Roland modules) you can split tom zones (head and rim) of course the head is used by the tom but if the rim zone is split in the module, and connecting a DIY splitter to the cable coming from the cable snake to that tom cable, then one of the splitter ends goes to the tom pad, the second goes to a cymbal or other percussion pad you want to add. In my case my TD-11 came with a mesh head snare, mesh head bass drum, 3 rubber toms , a fixed hh with a separate pedal, and a 2 zone crash and a 2 zone ride cymbal. the TD-11 has an extra input for another pad either cymbal or tom but all the included outputs for the 3 included toms are 2 zones (the mesh head toms in the higher end model ARE 2 zone, the rubber toms are not) so since I had a second zone on 3 toms that was not being used, I made my own splitters following V-drum tips tutorial in YouTube. This resulted in :
Hi hat cymbal (had a 14 inch cymbal pad from previous experiments and I bought the Goedrum hi hat controller and I used a regular hi hat stand)
I kept the crash and the ride as they were, but I added 2 splashes and a china (the 3 tom extra zones) I also added an extra crash cymbal (the extra input on the module) totaling 7 cymbals. Eventually I will buy mesh pads and upgrade the toms and even later I might get a better module to take advantage of the digital snare and ride which basically give you the dynamics of their real counterparts but that is a lot of $$$ so later. oh and if you look at the cable snake there is a single cable labelled Ride (that is used for the 3d zone if you have a 3 zone ride cymbal) and that comes with the TD-11 as well as with the TD-15 (that cable is separate from the original ride cable). Now TD-15 and TD-11 modules are very cheap now, so if you needed to add more pads, you technically can have two modules and go crazy and no need for splitters, but if you used splitters........😎
I will get busy with that since I have 3 modules... not enough pads or time to mess with them...:(

Back