is $1300 to $2000 the sweet spot for most drums?

no way.. that means that is the lowest price shops can ADVERTISE the drums at. Most shops like to keep you in the dark on this subject, because understandably..... they want you to just pay the price and move on.. Very few are willing to come clean.

Lower and mid level kits are more difficult to get anywhere with on lower prices.. but upper mid level and higher are easier.
That makes sense, the "minimum" referring to what the seller can advertise rather than what the customer will pay. Suppose you found a good dealer and submitted the specs for your SQ2 with a MAP of 12k, realistically, how much off of that price could you expect percentage wise?

I think the Pacific CX/LX kits in the early 2000s absolutely woke up the intermediate level. Prior to the Mexican made PDP's no one was offering an all maple shell with suspension mounts in a less than $1000 kit. That they included a hardware pack with a double pedal and even a bass drum muffling pillow for that price sure made a serious impact. Everyone else's offerings were still following the Pearl Export formula with mystery wood shells and maybe a lacquer finish option but for most suspension mounts were still a pro-level only feature.

That makes sense, the "minimum" referring to what the seller can advertise rather than what the customer will pay. Suppose you found a good dealer and submitted the specs for your SQ2 with a MAP of 12k, realistically, how much off of that price could you expect percentage wise?

Will send to your inbox .

You really giving pdp too much credit.

They are good drums (I really like their concept series), but (especially hardware wise) its still mediocre at best, especially compared to other brands that came out long before pdp and even pacific (they even had a solid shell, and 3ply kit) at the same price range.

But each to each own. Its good we have choices for all of us.

For beginner drummers in my area of Cincinnati, PDP was huge in putting functional hardware at low price points.

Was it the best? No way. But I remember every time I went to buy the cheapest pedal or cheapest cymbal stand at my local drum stores, PDP was always the way to go.

I don’t use beginner gear now. But DW/PDP did a great job of ensure decent hardware flowed down stream and was readily available in stores for kids to pick up

From what I've seen on the mid-tier, they can make high-end quality while limiting some options, they can keep great price points. I guess it comes down to what someone needs from their instrument and what performance features are desired. But some of the luxury stuff is about exclusivity of something unique. I think there is are levels within the tiers such as a range of the flagship lines and range of mid tier kits.

For me, the drum finish is the least important item other than I prefer the sound of a matte finish as opposed to the expensive candy shell gloss...wraps are ok but it warms the sound which works better for some sets better than others. Some of these prices beyond $3k is just on finish investment alone. I appreciate looking at it but it's not for me or remotely worth the price. I would not want some of the high priced designer custom programs like SQ2 or Masterworks either. Unless you have alot of product experience or access, it seems like a big ol' gamble.

I got my Canopus RFMs a couple years ago used at a good price ~low $2k though I am adding shells though a is now $3k minimum 3pc. Their concept made sense what I was exactly looking for as they customized their ply, edge and RF so they balance as a group which was important to me and I don't see in a lot different lines. I can say it actually works and balance out at soft or loud dynamics very well, I don't have an outlier at all like I've had in other expensive kits. I also expect a higher end kit to tune well, and it does and stays in tune almost weirdly well. And a thin maple I can tune alot of directions, going up or down is very flexible. The more expensive low mass brass lug, whether this actually works as a 'resonating alloy' or not IDK, but the shell vibration is definitely more active than most other drums I've owned. But these are extra touches of a higher end kit that I find to be big details and for not that much more. If I got their Yaiba bop kit, I'd still be very happy which I guess is a mid-tier kit in the $1-2k range and still another Gretsch assassin as they use the same approach just without RF and brass lugs ....a zelkova solid $25k is not what I want or need.

I just got a kit working with a $3500 budget. I got a Piano Black Tama Walnut/Birch (22-10-12-14-16) for just over $2200. The chrome hardware is fantastic what with the bass drum mounted double tom mounts, die cast hoops, and the quick lock tom and tom legs. The drums look and sound really great too. Much fuller sound than the Tama Birch/Bubingas of old. I don't think it's necessary to spend more than that. I don't begrudge people that have the bag and like nice stuff though either. 💰

I just got a kit working with a $3500 budget. I got a Piano Black Tama Walnut/Birch (22-10-12-14-16) for just over $2200. The chrome hardware is fantastic what with the bass drum mounted double tom mounts, die cast hoops, and the quick lock tom and tom legs. The drums look and sound really great too. Much fuller sound than the Tama Birch/Bubingas of old. I don't think it's necessary to spend more than that. I don't begrudge people that have the bag and like nice stuff though either. 💰
Did you post pics yet? I was following the other thread on you purchase, they look amazing in the ad.

Im not sure percentage but I built a 4 piece kit on the Sonor configurator that DCO was selling for 4000 something. But the Sonor price closer to 6k so there is a good savings

I love high end things. I like things that are built well, with integrity and good design. But in last 4 years I've owned a lot of drum sets and the more I buy, the more I find that the best Value in drums is in the Mid range.

I think the gap between the sub $1200 drum market and the $1300 to $2000 market is so much greater than the gap between the mid range and the drums that cost $2000 or more.

I had always wanted a USA Ludwig kit, so I bought one 2 years ago ( and sold it) and I always wanted a German Made Sonor kit, so I also bought one (and sold it) but since then I have bought Mid tier kits from Pearl (Session Studio Select), Yamaha (Tour Custom), Sonor (AQ2), and finally Gretsch (RN2) and after comparing my experiences with high end drums Vs Mid tier, Im finding that the sound is similar (and in the Renown's case, better), the hardware is either on Par or Better and the shell construction from drums made in Taiwan is every bit on point as what people are making in the USA and Germany. In fact, I had more issues with the German made Sonor kit than I did with the Chinese made AQ2 kit.

Right now I have a full kit of Pearl Session Studio Selects, Gretsch Renowns and a 10" tom from a Yamaha Stage Custom. To me, these 3 kits could easily hold their own against drums that cost thousands more. The value and craftsmanship that you get from any Pearl Drum made in Taiwan is off the charts and after hearing these Gretsch Renowns, Im blown away and not sure how a USA made Gretsch kit could sound much better.

Any one else think that best value in Drums is in the mid tier ?
I'm crushed over the German made sonor thoughts. CRUSHED. 😥

I do understand the want for custom drums and also know their expensive to make.

For example, right now I’m using a bit a hybrid of two kits at home because it records so well. All of the pieces are mid level kits.

I really want a kit that’s matching but is kinda a reflection of my current recording kit, which is maple rack Tom’s, birch/African Mahogany floor Tom’s and a maple kick.

I'm crushed over the German made sonor thoughts. CRUSHED. 😥
Believe me I was too. But I do still love high end Sonor. It’s just the SQ1 was not for me. I realized I don’t like solid all birch shells, I had to buy TAR mounts (not cheap) for my rack Tom’s because Sonor’s experiment with the sound sustainer system was a giant fail on the SQ1, also bad metal workings on the hoops (multiple sharp edges that cut my finger wide open), easily bendable tension rods, and just overall not a great product.

Like the tension rods and hoops on pearl, Yamaha & Gretsch mid tier kits were all made much better.

That said. I have both Benny Greb 2.0 snares (beech & brass) and they are both built like tanks and look like works of art. So maybe it was my kit that was a complete dud

Any one else think that best value in Drums is in the mid tier ?
Yes.
I've been a midrange player my whole drumming "career". I currently play a Gretsch Catalina Club Rock and was about to pull the trigger on a brand new, Ludwig Bonham Vistalite. Then I got to thinking "Why do that when the one I have does ALL I ever need it to, and has for over 10 years?"

So I scrapped the idea (and saved a lot of money), and used any investment money into improving the kit I already have.
Take the snare for example: 14x6 luan mahogany (as is the whole kit) with standard triple flange hoops & stock wires. Nothing to write home about.
So how to improve on this? PureSounds, DW mag throw off, die cast batter hoop (I left the reso triple flange ala Stewart Copeland), oil the inside of the shell and get the best head combo for that material & depth.

I'd go as far as putting this drum up against any $1,000 snare any day of the week & twice on Sunday. I feel it's that good now. And this was only one drum of the whole set.

Of course the rest of the drums wouldn't need this level of improvement, but what I have now is perfect in my ears and to the Front of House guy.
I do put good money into hardware however, DW or Yamaha stands & pedals. Mainly because I feel they take more abuse than drum shells & mounts.

Yes.
I've been a midrange player my whole drumming "career". I currently play a Gretsch Catalina Club Rock

You are more of a lower range player.. Gretsch mid-range is the Renown.

Not criticizing your choice.... only pointing that out.

This here is what I think happened.
Thing is… many other people had the complaint about sound sustainer system going dead. And I’ve heard multiple of multiple owners having the Tom’s start to come apart on the outer layer. That didn’t happen to me.

Overall my impression is that Sonor is not as bad as my experience but also not as good as some people say they are. It’s always in the middle. They are also hard to reach out to for help. It’s literally impossible to talk to someone at the company where as I had a minor issue with pearl and within 5 min I had some one on the phone.

I think the real answer is… Sonor made a dud with the SQ1.. and instead of correcting it with TAR mounts, they just doubled down

Thing is… many other people had the complaint about sound sustainer system going dead. And I’ve heard multiple of multiple owners having the Tom’s start to come apart on the outer layer.

Yeah I hear you on this point and I don't doubt it.. this stupid sustainer thing was something they never even needed in the first place.

I was referring to your other issues with the hoops and tension rods.. and then I was agreeing with your supposition when you stated "maybe it was my kit that was a complete dud."

and I HAVE heard these kits absolutely shine.. so i know they are killer sets.. but it is not impossible to get a dud of a kit.. like in your case.

I think the sweet spot is whatever will motivate you enough to play it every day. I've gone through my high-end phase (and I make no guarantees that I won't do it again), but for me the thing was discovering that I sounded the same, played the same, on all these different kits anyway. So if I'm playing a Yamaha Recording Custom, or a Stage Custom, or my vintage Rogers, or the new VOX Telstar, I sound the same on all of them. So if it's a cheaper kit that I'm liking right now, then it's fine. If I buy a new Ludwig Classic maple next month and like that, then that'll be fine too.

Personally, I think people could care less about the drums they play. The real sound of any drum comes from the heads being used. What they should care more about are the cymbals they play. Many of you guys here have found jewels in the mid-range of cymbals, and I never have. All my cymbals won't be of a lower level than the Zildjian A, because those have to sound good all the time. So you could say the sweet spot for cymbals should be at least $1400 (just looking at the high-end cymbal packs available from Zildjian or Paiste, $1300+ could cover a standard set). And the more you spend, the better they get. Any drum can be made to sound good. Cymbals, not so much.

Back