Bands in shows/movies

bearblastbeats

As many of you may notice when parts in shows or movies where a band is playing. Most times the actors are barely trying to mimic what the viewer is actually hearing. It's a small pet peeve of mine, and probably for some of you.

At least TRY to look like you're playing said parts!

Anyway, stumbled upon this dude and he is doing a series of videos on this actual thing. Showing what they are 'playing' vs what we are hearing, and more.

I have always found the poor mimicking humorous.
Eric's channel is great, he is hysterical. Watch the one where he tries out for America's Got Talent.

It makes me cringe, typing the title to that show. America has got Talent. 🤦‍♂️

Coincidentally I watched That Thing You Do last weekend. Unfortunately the film itself didn't live up to memory of it but the miming , especially that of the drummer who I was most drawn to watching, was spot on.
A wee little fact that would explain the good miming:
Everett Scott, Steve Zahn (Lenny Haise), Ethan Embry (T.B. Player) and Johnathon Schaech (Jimmy Mattingly) spent a month learning all of the notes to all of The Wonders’s tunes, even though they weren’t actually the ones playing them. It was Schaech’s first time playing guitar, and Everett Scott’s first attempt at playing drums. Schaech burned his lip putting it against an old microphone during rehearsals.

Coincidentally I watched That Thing You Do last weekend. Unfortunately the film itself didn't live up to memory of it but the miming , especially that of the drummer who I was most drawn to watching, was spot on.

I liked that movie . Fairly entertaining and like you was focused on the drumming as I am in most movies with drumming in it .

Like the OP it bothers me when the drumming is not even close , especially if it’s music or somewhat music related . But when they do a good job I always look them up to see if they have prior experience, which I had done in this case .
I read that Tom Everett Scott ( the actor who plays drums in the movie) and all the others never played any instruments prior , but spent like 6 hours a day for two months learning to play the instruments they used in the movie . They didn’t do too bad especially Scott. You can tell he’s really trying to make it look realistic even when he was the drummer in Cap n Geach and the shrimp shack shooters filming a movie within the movie . Not the best movie ever , but just fun and entertaining .

I liked that movie . Fairly entertaining and like you was focused on the drumming as I am in most movies with drumming in it .

Like the OP it bothers me when the drumming is not even close , especially if it’s music or somewhat music related . But when they do a good job I always look them up to see if they have prior experience, which I had done in this case .
I read that Tom Everett Scott ( the actor who plays drums in the movie) and all the others never played any instruments prior , but spent like 6 hours a day for two months learning to play the instruments they used in the movie . They didn’t do too bad especially Scott. You can tell he’s really trying to make it look realistic even when he was the drummer in Cap n Geach and the shrimp shack shooters filming a movie within the movie . Not the best movie ever , but just fun and entertaining .
It was fun enough and I didn't mind the lightweight plot, it was just for a 25 year old film the acting was all a bit too hammy, "Aw Gee Shucks" and dare I say childish/over the top for me.

Back