Educational threads vs. opinions, etc…

For clarity, the "swing the quarter note" thread...the OP is Marcus Gilmore.
Is it? I mean, I knew it was an admirer of Marcus - even named Marcus as one of his favorite players! - but there's no real system here to verify who is legit, as far as I know.

Maybe you have inside knowledge, Uncle Larry...

..The part that has been most enjoyable about this thread is its based on the 1/4 note swing thread and has completely assumed that that starter of the swing thread is an expert at the subject.
An anonymous individual posted something and it has been treated like gospel. That, is absolutely hysterical to me..

Well, anonymous…..that depends a little who you ask…..to me the guy is not anonymous….which is all i can say about that..

But besides that, if that thread would have been dominated by people who are really into jazz and learning about jazz, would you think the discussion would have went like this..?

I think Todd said this perfect regarding such internet discussions..:

‘..You can win a social media exchange by proving the guy was a dick, but you are the career loser..’

People can be upset as much as they want here, but in real life, that quote really says just how is..

Is it? I mean, I knew it was an admirer of Marcus - even named Marcus as one of his favorite players! - but there's no real system here to verify who is legit, as far as I know.

Maybe you have inside knowledge, Uncle Larry...
Maybe it’s in bad taste to publicly wonder these things, but I don’t think so. The avatar is definitely Marcus, but the post history suggests someone else. I’m not implying anyone is trying to be deceptive; I’ve come to appreciate MG’s contributions regardless of their true identity.

If he explained something in a way that wasn't easily understood or overly complex, I would 100% raise my hand and say "Mr. Rich, that made no sense to me, is there another way to go about the explanation?"
Asking questions because you don't understand is how you learn.
And I'm saying I'd pay to see/hear his response.

Man, that is a very big jump. I don't think dude presented himself as an expert whatsoever. Seemed to me he was told something that helped him a lot and thought he'd pass it along.
I'm not saying he did, I'm saying other members treated him as such and aside from Larry saying it's Marcus Gilmore, I have zero evidence that's the case. There are several clues that actually point to that not being the case at all. Whatever.
The point is, just because one is a supposed expert on something does not mean that they are infallible. Experts make mistakes all the time and asking questions is how we all learn and find some of those mistakes. Some folks prefer to see anything an expert says as gospel and beyond question. Cool. I think they're doing themselves a disservice, but that's their choice.

Maybe it’s in bad taste to publicly wonder these things, but I don’t think so. The avatar is definitely Marcus, but the post history suggests someone else. I’m not implying anyone is trying to be deceptive; I’ve come to appreciate MG’s contributions regardless of their true identity.
This is a nice response and I agree-no matter who posted it was a worthy posit for all to appreciate. I wish I'd never commented about superfluous stuff unrelated to thread. If it Marcus I hope our discussion doesn't scare him away-it sure would me. I think part has been talking past each other and also conflating different things it seems from what I can decipher. I should remember what my Mom would tell me "Your missing the forest for the trees". But Mom the tree is in the way LOL. I think it's time to put this wet horse up to rest don't y'all.

... I think part has been talking past each other and also conflating different things it seems from what I can decipher...

Thank you for this. I was wondering if anyone else had reached this conclusion.

The mods are here mainly to keep the peace. Settle disputes. Offer guidance with interpersonal relationships here. To be as diplomatic and as fair as we can to everyone involved. It's not a perfect scenario but it's what we have. I have no desire to warn people or edit peoples writings if they go off topic. That's not my job. No attacks, no moderation issues is my stance. The direction the thread goes is in the responsibility of the members. I don't edit anyone's thoughts, I step in when someone attacks another. Sometimes I have to delete unsavory comments. That's as far as I go personally.

Be careful what you ask for. I wouldn't want me or anybody else dictating what can be said here. I like that freedom. Along with it comes a little responsibility to keep things mature, fun, engaging and all the good stuff. I appreciate the diversity of opinions here. I think it's the mods responsibility to settle issues between members and I think it's the members responsibility to strengthen their toleration muscles for the benefit of the forum overall.

In my mind, forum mods are like the government of the forum. I don't want the government to dictate what I think or how to think.

Last edited:
The mods are here mainly to keep the peace. Settle disputes. Offer guidance with interpersonal relationships here. To be as diplomatic and as fair as we can to everyone involved. It's not a perfect scenario but it's what we have. I have no desire to warn people or edit peoples writings if they go off topic. That's not my job. No attacks, no moderation issues is my stance. The direction the thread goes is in the responsibility of the members. I don't edit anyone's thoughts, I step in when someone attacks another. Sometimes I have to delete unsavory comments. That's as far as I go personally.

Be careful what you ask for. I wouldn't want me or anybody else dictating what can be said here. I like that freedom. Along with it comes a little responsibility to keep things mature, fun, engaging and all the good stuff. I appreciate the diversity of opinions here. I think it's the mods responsibility to settle issues between members and I think it's the members responsibility to strengthen their toleration muscles for the benefit of the forum overall.

In my mind, forum mods are like the government of the forum. I don't want the government to dictate what I think or how to think.
Blah-bla-blah.

And play Guru drums.

Well, i saw that one coming ofcourse the moment i posted the thread…..and…..ofcourse you are correct about that…

But, then let me ask you this..

Would you also be the one at a drum clinic who would say something like..:

“Ok Mr. Chambers, i heard you speak, but my opinion on the subject is…………….”

“Ok Mr. Erskine, thanks for sharing the information, but, also after trying to explain, what you say makes no sense..”

Or would you just sit there and listen..?

Because, in my experience, at such places, drummers just sit, listen and learn…

Which is how i think should be..

When a credible, knowledgeable player says something, you listen……simply….because….they know….

To me, arguing with someone who has more knowledge about a certain subject than i have, makes no sense..

Why would that on an internet forum be any different..?

And, is anyone who really wants to learn really helped with reading all those other opinions..?

My opinion is ‘no’..

But that question ‘is someone who really wants to learn helped..?’, is what made me wonder and post this..

At a drum clinic Erskine would demonstrate. I'd listen watch and learn.

The OP in the swinging quarters thread - when asked for clarification or a demonstration - chose deride degrade and put down anyone who didn't understand or wanted details and clarification.

Your analogy, OldSkool, isn't applicable.

Man, that is a very big jump. I don't think dude presented himself as an expert whatsoever. Seemed to me he was told something that helped him a lot and thought he'd pass it along.
???What??? He certainly put himself on a pedestal and claimed if we didn't understand his advice and we wanted some sort of demonstration and clarification to help us then we just don't work as hard as he does at it and therefore we'll never understand because we're beneath him. Read that thread and his degrading comments and how he positioned himself. My gosh yes he made himself out to be an expert.

???What??? He certainly put himself on a pedestal and claimed if we didn't understand his advice and we wanted some sort of demonstration and clarification to help us then we just don't work as hard as he does at it and therefore we'll never understand because we're beneath him. Read that thread and his degrading comments and how he positioned himself. My gosh yes he made himself out to be an expert.
I apparently missed a lot of that thread and didn’t realize it till I reread the whole thing. But yeah, you were right. On the other hand, it turned out to be Marcus Gilmore, who is about as expert as it gets. So swing your damn quarters and quit arguing ;)

I apparently missed a lot of that thread and didn’t realize it till I reread the whole thing. But yeah, you were right. On the other hand, it turned out to be Marcus Gilmore, who is about as expert as it gets. So swing your damn quarters and quit arguing ;)
I know one of mods indicated it is, but others looked at his prior threads and posts and thought not.

Back