Session Studio Select: 10-12-14-16-22
15 K Light Hats
16 A Custom Crash
19 in K Custom Dark Crash
12 in Z Custom Trash Splash
20 in K Custom Dark Thin Crash
22 in K Custom Dark Ride
19 in K Con Crash/Ride
Random Paiste China that appeared out of thin air one day 10 years ago. (18 in BrassTones I believe)

Studio session yesterday with the Classic Maples and Paistes. Smooth white Emps over smooth white Ambs on the toms have become my favorite heads for this kit. 13" tuned to a fundamental of 2A, 16" tuned to a fundamental of 2D. Pure tone, power, and projection without over-doing it. The engineer couldn't say enough good things about this kit. We were all blown away by it.

14" original Alpha Power hats I bought new in '91 to replace the hats I'd been using since '84
19" Signature Full crash
22" 2002 ride

IMG_1818_sm.jpg

Studio session yesterday with the Classic Maples and Paistes. Smooth white Emps over smooth white Ambs on the toms have become my favorite heads for this kit. 13" tuned to a fundamental of 2A, 16" tuned to a fundamental of 2D. Pure tone, power, and projection without over-doing it. The engineer couldn't say enough good things about this kit. We were all blown away by it.

14" original Alpha Power hats I bought new in '91 to replace the hats I'd been using since '84
19" Signature Full crash
22" 2002 ride

View attachment 118908
Very nice

Technically not a POV, but pretty close. Snapped just before I sat down to play.

View attachment 118939

Yamaha Club Customs (12-16-22) with a Yamaha RC Brass snare (14x6.5). Meinl Byzance cymbals; 14" Thin Jazz hats, 18" Thin crash, 21" Dark ride, and 18" Extra Dry Thin crash.
@sumdrumguy, what is that vocal mic and mic stand you're using? Do you recommend both?

@sumdrumguy, what is that vocal mic and mic stand you're using? Do you recommend both?

The mic is a Shure 55SH. It is attached to a short, 6" gooseneck. The gooseneck is attached to an On-Stage Telescoping Mini Boom (MS9505). The boom arm is screwed to the top of a standard tripod mic stand.

I've tried a few vocal mics. Here's why I settled on this one for singing while drumming.
1) Unidirectional pattern focussed on what is right in front of the mic = less bleed from other sound sources on stage.
2) Well constructed solid metal body. No concerns during transport. The mic, in it's wee Shure bag, is tucked in my hardware case. Also, it won't break if I clip it.
3) Streamlined - the mic cable isn't sticking out at a nasty angle.
4) Stays put. I've had other mics slip out the mic holder mid song. With this mic screwed on the goose neck that will never happen.
5) It looks as great as it sounds! Compliments galore from band-mates and the audience.

This rig works great. No boom arms jutting in from the sides. No mic cables jutting out of the back of the mic. No slippage of the mic due to vibrations on stage. Keeps the mic exactly where I want it.

Addition: A headset mic would be the most streamlined. I tried one but didn't like it.

With this rig, the mic floats about 2-3 inches from my left cheek when I look straight forward. A subtle torso shift puts my mouth right infront of the mic.

Last edited:
I thought I would compare my first official shot (October 2021) of my TAMA Imperialstar

DriverSeat01_Filter01.jpg

to today's TAMA Superstar Classic:

DriverSeat_SuperStarClassic_05_2022.jpg

Y'all were correct about fiddling with the positions of everything. It never seems to end and even after all my jockeying, it doesn't look that much different.

I thought I would compare my first official shot (October 2021) of my TAMA Imperialstar

View attachment 119125

to today's TAMA Superstar Classic:

View attachment 119126

Y'all were correct about fiddling with the positions of everything. It never seems to end and even after all my jockeying, it doesn't look that much different.

those Fender basses behind the kit are piquing my interest as well!!!

those Fender basses behind the kit are piquing my interest as well!!!
Those are the Brothers Fender. The Jazz is a 2019 Vintera 70s that I got in a trade and the P is a 2021 MiM Player.

BrotherFender02.jpg
BrotherFender.jpg

These two have cured my bass GAS.

017.JPG

017.JPG021.JPG022.JPG
022.JPG

021.JPG

w 005.JPG

NOS (12 years ago..)
2005ish 6P Gunmetal g/m Broadkasters Gretsch
14X18/12X10/10X9/ 14X12/
1965 8L g/m Renown