Tama gear, long waits and low availability

roncadillac

Platinum Member
I swear there was a thread about this topic already but I searched both Google and the forum search feature to no avail.

In case anyone is waiting for any new Tama gear, even if you are on a waiting list, it's unfortunately going to be awhile and if you are considering buying anything available then don't wait.

This started when Tama put out the promo video for the new club jam pancake kit. If anyone here knows anything about me it's that I love small/compact/unusual kits so I immediately planned on picking one of these up, reached out to my usual retailers and Hoshino for more information. At first they said late January, that became late March which then quickly became late April/early May... Here we are to May 10th already and they still are nowhere. I've reached out again to Sweetwater, MF/GC, and even Hoshino USA directly... Now they are saying late NOVEMBER at best, more likely December/January. The worst part is, it's not just this pancake kit or their new 2022 products in general, it's everything. My Sweetwater rep has a guy (who paid in full) waiting on a basic 5 piece Star kit since August 2021 and he just got an update being told probably August of next year! Two years!! I was also told that nothing from Tama is really coming in to the USA for the foreseeable future to the point that even longstanding gear staples in their portfolio will become non-existent by the end of the year. Are you looking at a new iron cobra pedal, roadshow stand, need to add another cymbal stand or pick up a spare! Do it NOW because we are coming up on a time where we won't find anything from Tama outside of the used market (which also will drive up that used market).

I'm not trying to cause a panic but I heard this from both Sweetwater and Hoshino USA so it's certainly a credible concern.

Last edited:
We’ve all read about “supply chain issues” due to the pandemic. The primary problems being people cannot or will not work. But take a look at shipping container rates and it’s easy to understand why a company may delay shipping product until they decrease.

Container freight rates increased dramatically between January 2019 and March 2022. In March, 2019, a container cost US$1,324. The year 2021 saw an especially steep increase in global freight rates, reaching a record price of nearly US$10,400 per container in September 2021. In March 2022, the global freight rate index stood at about US$8,200.

CF384E40-E830-419B-ABB7-556D3B0DE10F.jpeg

We’ve all read about “supply chain issues” due to the pandemic. The primary problems being people cannot or will not work. But take a look at shipping container rates and it’s easy to understand why a company may delay shipping product until they decrease.

Container freight rates increased dramatically between January 2019 and March 2022. In March, 2019, a container cost US$1,324. The year 2021 saw an especially steep increase in global freight rates, reaching a record price of nearly US$10,400 per container in September 2021. In March 2022, the global freight rate index stood at about US$8,200.

View attachment 119018

At a current price of $8k per container they would have to fit a TON of these $350 kits to even break even lol

So sorry to hear about this! I wouldn't be surprised if overseas instruments start really go up. Shipping overseas costs are becoming insane.

Ludwig USA drums are made 2 hours from my house.

chihuahua GIF

So sorry to hear about this! I wouldn't be surprised if overseas instruments start really go up. Shipping overseas costs are becoming insane.

chihuahua GIF
Perhaps so, but they don't make their hoops in NC, those are sourced from Taiwan. They will still have some issues.

Not entirely surprised.

That being said, I posted some great used deals in the "Used Deal Thread" we have been maintaining in the Drum section.

I also heard Keller is having significant delays in fulfilling their standard OEM shell orders to companies who leverage their production lines. So I think the "new drum" market is going to be much like numerous other markets impacted by huge delays and component shortages like bikes, vehicles, appliances, hot tubs etc. Almost everything is shipped and even within the 48 states the fuel costs have driving shipping through the roof.

Play what you got and don't sell unless you have too !!!! lol

I had my eye on the Superstar Classics in the new bop configuration, but that's another one that there's zero stock of and no eta. Oh well. I do dig that midnight sparkle.

Nobody wants to ghost potential buyers, even a company with as horrible CS as Hoshino.

They seemed to have caught some flak for the lack of new offerings outside of the pancake kit and some new starsclassic finishes, I wonder if they kept it reserved knowing they barely could keep up with these.

They seemed to have caught some flak for the lack of new offerings outside of the pancake kit and some new starsclassic finishes, I wonder if they kept it reserved knowing they barely could keep up with these.

Well, with raw materials being a crapshoot these days, sticking with the products you may have inventory to build is a sound business decision. That could have some influence on where they are right now.

Just assuming positive intent on their part.........

View attachment 119018

The Oligarchs will have their stipend

chihuahua GIF
Now that's one happy pooch!
Absolutely adorable!

I had my eye on the Superstar Classics in the new bop configuration, but that's another one that there's zero stock of and no eta. Oh well. I do dig that midnight sparkle.
Check out seller "proaudiostar" on ebay. They have several Superstar Classic Bop Kits that were customer returns. Good prices and in stock!

Hardly any news, it you follow the news. Shipping problems have been there for a very very long time now due to Corona. I wanted to buy e.g. a new road-racebike in 2020. I was told that Trek would not be able to deliver it before March 2023. So... stop complaining. ;)

Hardly any news, it you follow the news. Shipping problems have been there for a very very long time now due to Corona. I wanted to buy e.g. a new road-racebike in 2020. I was told that Trek would not be able to deliver it before March 2023. So... stop complaining. ;)

From an American perspective, it's easier to accept when there are shipping delays with a Japanese company. But when an American company can't deliver to American customers, that is a failure of the company.

I went through something similar getting gravel bikes for my wife and I to add to the quiver. Ended up just picking from what shops already had on order without a customer commitment that was the right fit and decent spec........if there is something specific people want whether drums, bikes, cars etc the lead times are almost "bespoke" in nature.

I needed bass drum spur feet for my Superstar and it seems I'll get them within 2 weeks.
Not sure if parts like that are part of this deal, but I'll keep you posted about the results.

I needed bass drum spur feet for my Superstar and it seems I'll get them within 2 weeks.
Not sure if parts like that are part of this deal, but I'll keep you posted about the results.
If they still use the same threaded pattern they've used for years (I guess I could check on my club jam) then I've got a spare set of those rubber feet somewhere around my house. I'll check later if I remember.

. But when an American company can't deliver to American customers, that is a failure of the company.
Well... american companies also get parts and raw materials from overseas. Screws, lugs, metal tubes, copper, rubber.... *shrugs*

If they still use the same threaded pattern they've used for years (I guess I could check on my club jam) then I've got a spare set of those rubber feet somewhere around my house. I'll check later if I remember.
If they don't show up, you'll be the first one I come to.
Snl Reaction GIF

Back