Ludwig Legacy Classic Maple vs 67 Super Classic

Thats some good advice. Ive play on some classics and they sounded good, but the vintage ones ive banged on sounded surreal. Never play on legacy ludwigs but after listening to as many recordings as i could, they sounded as close as you can get.
You also have to be sure that’s what you were hearing on some of those great old recordings - they coulda been Gretsch or Rogers 😉

You also have to be sure that’s what you were hearing on some of those great old recordings - they coulda been Gretsch or Rogers 😉
Thats true, could have banging away on pots and pans for all we know haha, but from what ive inferred from research, interviews etc Ludwig from that era were used on some if not a lot of those classic records

If it were for me to own, I'd go with vintage, but for a studio kit I'd go with brand new Legacy. The hardware will be up to snuff, the shells will be round, and nobody on the other end of the recording will be the wiser.

View attachment 119011

So i wont upload every edge photo ive got, but this photo shows their condition
It's not a given that every used old Ludwig drum needs bearing edge work. I bought a few Classic beaters for a resto from different years and sources, and while the edges were slightly rough in spots, they were even and it's nothing that a little wax didn't take care of smoothing out.

If it were for me to own, I'd go with vintage, but for a studio kit I'd go with brand new Legacy. The hardware will be up to snuff, the shells will be round, and nobody on the other end of the recording will be the wiser.
I guess when say studio ,i mean my studio, which is going to be used by me. Maybe some odd people everynow and then, but wont be a regular instrument available to others

I guess when say studio ,i mean my studio, which is going to be used by me. Maybe some odd people everynow and then, but wont be a regular instrument available to others
To me then it would come down to how well preserved the vintage kit is, and what hardware it has, and how well it works. You don't want to be constantly bleeding money to keep even the best-sounding kit functional, especially in a 100% import situation these days.

To me then it would come down to how well preserved the vintage kit is, and what hardware it has, and how well it works. You don't want to be constantly bleeding money to keep even the best-sounding kit functional, especially in a 100% import situation these days.
Its in great condition, was used intermittently for several years after its manufacturer, then into storage (climate controlled). This is what i was told anyways. So there's no overt "visible" damage or degradation that i can see.

I reckon you really want the vintage kit. I think you should "scratch the itch"and buy the vintage otherwise you will always have the itch. Things won't be perfect , but nothing vintage is. It's part of the deal. It sounds like it's not going to get flogged in your usage , so it should stand up. If it doesn't work out and you bought it for a reasonable price you won't lose much, if anything, if you sell it down the track. Are you buying within Australia? if you are - these kits don't come up often. ( I'm an Aussie too) . If you have the funds don't die wondering.

I reckon you really want the vintage kit. I think you should "scratch the itch"and buy the vintage otherwise you will always have the itch. Things won't be perfect , but nothing vintage is. It's part of the deal. It sounds like it's not going to get flogged in your usage , so it should stand up. If it doesn't work out and you bought it for a reasonable price you won't lose much, if anything, if you sell it down the track. Are you buying within Australia? if you are - these kits don't come up often. ( I'm an Aussie too) . If you have the funds don't die wondering.
Yeah i guess im doing that classic thing on wanting validation from other musos, which is odd but theres still certain things that i need to be pushed to do. But yeah i do have an affinity towards all things vintage, so maybe i should just go with that. Im not buying within AUS, i would love to buy a vintage kit here, but no bueno. So the import duties would be like 500 - 600, which sucks mega ass chunks but how else would our govt make money if it wasnt pilfering out pockets

"Yeah i guess im doing that classic thing on wanting validation from other musos, which is odd" . Nothing odd in checking out other opinions - smart thing to do when a bit of money's involved IMV.

"Yeah i guess im doing that classic thing on wanting validation from other musos, which is odd" . Nothing odd in checking out other opinions - smart thing to do when a bit of money's involved IMV.
Yeah, like im happy to spend they money either way and anyone with more experience is going to help me a lot

Hi there,
Im new to the drumming world but have been in the music scene for a while producing. Ive been trying to justify to myself that i dont need a kit for my productions but after years of programming drums, and spending just one day in a big studio and being able to brutishly bash on some and record, ive now been seduced. So ive got some flexibility with budget and am really trying to go for that holy grail of tone. I really like that vintage ludwig timbre, the Bonham, keith moon, ringo, etc. I kind of got curious after Kevin Parker from Tame Impala talked about his drum setup.

So im sold on ludwig, now its just which model to go for. Im aiming vintage because, i seem to have a predisposition towards things being a little more tone than utility. Ive got the opportunity to get a 67 Super classic for around 4500 AUD including shipping. Ive also got the ability to get some Legacy ludwigs at around 5000 AUD that includes a snare drum, and is only a few years old.

Both kits are in great condition, no bearing issues or shell problems. The legacy does come with a snare so theres that.

So im really just looking for a general consensus as im not a drummer by trade, but guitarist and producer. So im willing to invest in something for long tern so im not bouncing around.

Anyway thanks for reading!
I’d go super classic. I have a 65 super classic, blue sparkle, and if it looks good… it’s good. A Super Classic can do anything, as it was really good for Jazz in its birth. But it just bleeds vintage tone… I can’t get a bad recording with it if I tried. Match it with a 60’s Ludwig LM400… Jazz to hip hop and any kind of rock… you can get timeless tones song after song. 3 ply is most of the mojo with the super classics… I’ll have mine forever, and will hand down to my kids lol. After that it’s on them to take care of it haha. I’ll just have to tell them I’ll haunt them if they don’t keep her in tip top shape 👻

Back