Who has the best most stable flat-base hardware…and GO!

I would love lightweight hardware. However, I have come to the conclusion that a) my cymbals are just too big, and b) I play way too many gigs that don’t provide a nice flat surface to set up on. Also, wind isn’t my friend either. My big cymbals act like a sail. Do I want heavy hardware? Nope. Do I NEED heavy hardware? Sure do…for now at least.

I’ve gone back and forth on flat base hardware for years now, and I just don’t think it’s for me right now.
Sorry if I sounded condescending in my post; certainly wasn’t intentional. I have a large bank of Yamaha 700 hardware myself that I’ve used for years and years with no issues. Ideal ratio of light weight vs strength and versatility IMO. At any rate, glad to hear you found something that works for you, and hope you get many years of trouble free service out of it.

PS- I think we’re due for another video of your playing (really enjoy your drumming and am a fan of your band!)

I would love to go flat based, but I went tripod because of concerns I have about stability on weird stages and windy days. That and I got them cheaper :D

I would love lightweight hardware. However, I have come to the conclusion that a) my cymbals are just too big, and b) I play way too many gigs that don’t provide a nice flat surface to set up on. Also, wind isn’t my friend either. My big cymbals act like a sail. Do I want heavy hardware? Nope. Do I NEED heavy hardware? Sure do…for now at least.

I’ve gone back and forth on flat base hardware for years now, and I just don’t think it’s for me right now.
I think Steve Jordan and the stadiums will disagreee :p

I think Steve Jordan and the stadiums will disagreee :p

Maybe, but I’m guessing Steve doesn’t deal with the same types of shitty stages/playing areas that we mortals have to. The Crosstown stuff is cool, but it’s not the answer for everyone. It just isn’t, regardless of who disagrees. It’s way more stable than flat-based stuff, for sure, but it’s not perfect. No solution is.

Maybe, but I’m guessing Steve doesn’t deal with the same types of shitty stages/playing areas that we mortals have to. The Crosstown stuff is cool, but it’s not the answer for everyone. It just isn’t, regardless of who disagrees. It’s way more stable than flat-based stuff, for sure, but it’s not perfect. No solution is.

True he rises above us mere immortals.

The imperfection is indeed not wind or wobbly stages if compared to flat based stands.

But that being said, they are pretty close to perfect to me (as I don’t need a boom arm or adjustable hh footboard for instance, one of many heard complaints)

Last edited:
True he rises above us mere immortals.

The imperfection is indeed not wind or wobbly stages if compared to flat based stands.

But that being said, they are pretty close to perfect to me (as I don’t need a boom arm or adjustable hh footboard for instance, one of many heard complaints)

I agree with you about the Crosstown stuff being close to perfect. I had a couple of issues with them that were completely specific to me, and probably wouldn't be an issue for a majority of players. Like you, I don't need boom arms and I was completely fine with the hi-hat not having a tension adjustment. I used my 17" Paiste Jordan copycat hats with the Crosstown stand with no problems at all. I think I mentioned before that I couldn't get past the looks, and the snare stand bounced around during normal gigging... enough to require me to reposition the stand during or after every song. Haven't heard of that happening to any other players, though, so I'm sure it was just me.

729D201C-3FB9-4319-B75B-F2064AA628CD.jpeg

I agree with you about the Crosstown stuff being close to perfect. I had a couple of issues with them that were completely specific to me, and probably wouldn't be an issue for a majority of players. Like you, I don't need boom arms and I was completely fine with the hi-hat not having a tension adjustment. I used my 17" Paiste Jordan copycat hats with the Crosstown stand with no problems at all. I think I mentioned before that I couldn't get past the looks, and the snare stand bounced around during normal gigging... enough to require me to reposition the stand during or after every song. Haven't heard of that happening to any other players, though, so I'm sure it was just me.

View attachment 117759
What a stunning setup like that 😍

Exactly. I'm sure it's been a while since Steve Jordan had to set up on gravel; on the side of a hill; or wind blowing at 25-30 mph (on a side of a hill in gravel with strong winds); a crummy, uneven parking lot, on grass, or on hay...all of which I've done in the past 12 months or so. It's sort of like...I would love to own a cool sports car, but I need a truck, so I buy the truck. Maybe one day I'll get to where I'm playing on nothing but decent stages, but until then, no flat base hardware for me, and that's ok. I'm just happy to be able to play! :)

I would love to go flat based, but I went tripod because of concerns I have about stability on weird stages and windy days. That and I got them cheaper :D
I have DW ultralight and I will not use them outside in Kansas anyway. The wind will catch an 18" cym very easy. I always use them inside though

Sorry if I sounded condescending in my post; certainly wasn’t intentional. I have a large bank of Yamaha 700 hardware myself that I’ve used for years and years with no issues. Ideal ratio of light weight vs strength and versatility IMO. At any rate, glad to hear you found something that works for you, and hope you get many years of trouble free service out of it.

PS- I think we’re due for another video of your playing (really enjoy your drumming and am a fan of your band!)

Oh, you didn't sound condescending at all! I didn't take it that way. I can confuse people very easily. :)

I think I've got a couple of takeaways from this little experience:

1. I'm simply not comfortable using flat base hardware until my venues change from unpredictable to more predictable with limited amounts of exposure to the outdoor elements.

2. If someone wants nice, sturdy hardware and doesn't care about the weight, my vote would be get the DW 3000 hardware. I mean, if you want 9000 hardware and find a good deal on it, then by all means go for it; however, I'm REALLY impressed with the 3000.

Thank you for the kind words about my playing and the band I'm with. I tried to get some video from our manager, but she used a camera more than her phone this past weekend. We leave tomorrow for Florida, and we have a couple of big gigs down there. I hope to get some more video pushed out soon!

Oh, you didn't sound condescending at all! I didn't take it that way. I can confuse people very easily. :)

I think I've got a couple of takeaways from this little experience:

1. I'm simply not comfortable using flat base hardware until my venues change from unpredictable to more predictable with limited amounts of exposure to the outdoor elements.

2. If someone wants nice, sturdy hardware and doesn't care about the weight, my vote would be get the DW 3000 hardware. I mean, if you want 9000 hardware and find a good deal on it, then by all means go for it; however, I'm REALLY impressed with the 3000.

Thank you for the kind words about my playing and the band I'm with. I tried to get some video from our manager, but she used a camera more than her phone this past weekend. We leave tomorrow for Florida, and we have a couple of big gigs down there. I hope to get some more video pushed out soon!
Where in Florida? Anywhere near Orlando?

Here’s a perfect example of why I’ll no longer use flat-based stands. From a wedding gig today out at another horse ranch (it is Bakersfield, after all). Dig the rug. Looks like a wavy ocean.

D4AEAF79-5D93-441E-A7E6-35CD3B28DD40.jpeg3879A282-7BBA-4773-91CA-5461EBD0DD57.jpeg

I compared the DW Ultralite and the Yamaha Crosstown series, but the Ultralite’s lacked quite a lot quility feel for me.

The looks of the Crosstown series are not really visible on stage anyway, but come with all the things you want from light, yet rock solid hardware.

Here they are on a small stage with a small bass drum:
View attachment 117586

I wonder if aluminium could be chrome plated.

Maybe Yamaha could add that in a next run.
Aluminium doesn't hold chrome well - but can be polished and anodized beautifully.
Shame Yamaha didn't do that.

700 is single braced?
Double braced seems way OTT strength-wise - but I guess lots of weight at the bottom of the stand gives maximum COG stability?

View attachment 117759
Digression - but how do you deal with your T-rods getting knocked in transit?

Back