Furniture improv

Good move! I don't know how many dirty rugs I've dragged from doorways of various venues whenever I couldn't afford an old rug.

I like the new stage set up Andy. Adds an element of imperfection and humility :p

So is this the beginning of the 30 min of practice (for next two weeks) your lovely spouse is demanding? LOL

Good move! I don't know how many dirty rugs I've dragged from doorways of various venues whenever I couldn't afford an old rug.
The owner of our rehearsal barn is especially sensitive about damage of the slate floor. This setup worked out as bombproof :)
I like the new stage set up Andy. Adds an element of imperfection and humility :p
Agreed, but good luck fitting that on a festival riser!
So is this the beginning of the 30 min of practice (for next two weeks) your lovely spouse is demanding? LOL
No Art, this was a "new material" run through rehearsal with the band (minus keys). Coincidentally however, this was the number my wife was referring to when I mentioned I was struggling with lots of doubles + triplets on the bass drum.

I know the original drum parts were much more simple, but the band asked me to come up with bass drum figures that mimicked the sequencer used on the original song. On a single pedal, that's quite an ask (at least, it is for me) in the context of keeping it clean through a whole song.

Good think you didn't do this, then.View attachment 115770

I have also nailed bass drums down on rare occasions. No more though. I always have a good drum rug. Someone at a gig last week asked me why drummers always use rugs. I told her why.

Once, when I forgot my drum rug, I used the floor mats from the car and they worked fine.

True story:

The Lefty Phillips Trio once played an outdoor gig in Long Beach on a concrete stage. The drummer was a sub, a beautiful young lady with solid chops. Long story less so, her kick just didn't dig into the stage, and there was a gaggle of young men intentely focused on her, so a few songs in, I asked one of them to get on stage with us and keep the kick drum in place. This guy was epic, he just got down on his knees in front of the kick, and held it in place like Atlas himself for about 40 minutes or so while we played through our set.

Natalie gave him a big, fat, wet kiss when we were done. I almost did the same. I wish I could remember his name, he totally deserves credit for that. Good times. :)

Reminds me of the time that I played a gig at the local 'Rock' venue (in reality, a 'metal' bar full of meth - quite liked it down there). I was in a metal band and had a china cymbal up high and to my right, which I used a lot as an off-beat accent during slower sections. Two songs in, the stand starts slipping off the riser and suddenly up jumps this young woman from the audience, who proceeds to hang onto the stand for the rest of that number to stop it falling off. I played it as well, just at a slightly reduced volume.

That was the same gig that the sound engineer decided not to mic up my Yamaha Musashi snare after I gave it a few whacks. I had it tuned high. He dubbed it 'the snare of death'. I think I played with 2Bs that night.

Good times.

Natalie gave him a big, fat, wet kiss when we were done. I almost did the same. I wish I could remember his name, he totally deserves credit for that. Good times. :)
I'd say he was well rewarded :cool:
suddenly up jumps this young woman from the audience, who proceeds to hang onto the stand for the rest of that number to stop it falling off. I played it as well, just at a slightly reduced volume.
Very considerate of you Duncan :)
In my first band ever, we rehearsed in a real barn and i would set up against a beam! your barn refernce reminded me, although not the same i needed to add myself to this story somehow!
Beams are great for that!
Good tune 👍🏼👏🏼🙌🏼🥁
Thanks. This song actually made the cut to our live set. We usually pull 4 or 5 numbers together roughly, & run through just a verse & chorus to see if it's going to sound good or not. This was one of those sessions.

Nice improvement as well! Keep it up! If my furniture is delivered on time and it doesn't look like a beat up piece of shit (which happens all the time), I can tip $5-$10, but no more than that. However, this only happens if I order furniture through the pricebuster com website. If I buy my furniture elsewhere, it always ends up with a travesty of normal furniture coming to me, lol.

Last edited:
I have also nailed bass drums down on rare occasions. No more though. I always have a good drum rug. Someone at a gig last week asked me why drummers always use rugs. I told her why.

Once, when I forgot my drum rug, I used the floor mats from the car and they worked fine.

I have used my shoes, since I don't wear them when i play

Okay I'll ask, what happened to your rug? Did you forget it? Did someone take it?

Back