What's your latest purchase?

Nearly forgot, due to tinkering with the new Acro toy- I ordered 7 pair of new/old stock ProMark 808 oak nylon, now discontinued... Currently looking for the same in hickory, and also 707 oak and hickory, nylon tip.

For transporting my 2nd tier rehearsal kit cymbals more easily, I also picked up a Steve Weiss-branded (per the little red tag attached) "Liberty One" (says that nowhere on the bag) cymbal bag, which may be the best $20 cymbal bag on the market- decent padding, shoulder strap, hi-hat pocket. Not to jinx myself, but I haven't carried any cymbals yet, so I hope the strap or handles don't snap loose immediately. :LOL:View attachment 113858

View attachment 113859

man, i love my Promark 808W Shira Kashi Oak sticks....are they discontinued b/c they could not source the wood anymore?

so I found the nucleus of my cocktail drum project. I have wanted a cocktail drum forever.

ccktail#1.jpg

14x28 Keller shell. it was originally a special made "power" bass drum for a guy in town. Never saw him use it, but I guess he sold all of his drum stuff as he was getting too old to get around anymore...this is going to be perfect for my "brushes only" jazz band, and for even some of the rockabilly stuff

gonna wrap it in turquoise glass glitter in honor of my first car: 1969 Olds Delta 88 in that classic ugly 60's aqua color

Turquoise-Glitter-s.jpeg

with a middle stripe of black and white checkered race flag wrap

will probably get some new hoops. Don't know if they will be black wood with the same glitter color inlay, or possibly just chrome, or possibly black wood with a chrome inlay....

(excuse the house "under repair"...the other project is new floors)

Did somebody say Steve Jordan?

I had always wanted one of those, but could not afford it at the time they were available.

and actually the FIRST cocktail drum I ever wanted was one like this

ayotte_silv1.jpg

this was the inspiration for me wanting these kind of drums. Saw Tyler from BNL use one at an in store here in C-bus in 1992 and that was it

I would melt id I could get a Ray-era cocktail set up!!!

I had always wanted one of those, but could not afford it at the time they were available.

and actually the FIRST cocktail drum I ever wanted was one like this

View attachment 113951

this was the inspiration for me wanting these kind of drums. Saw Tyler from BNL use one at an in store here in C-bus in 1992 and that was it

I would melt id I could get a Ray-era cocktail set up!!!
Very cool! Here’s Steve’s Yamaha DAXDAD;

1643771426719.png

A 5.5 x 14 Tama Starclassic. Just picked up off of CL. Haven't played yet, needs a wee bit of tlc first, but in nice shape. Pretty sure it's maple, will have to look into it. Also pretty sure the butt shouldn't look like that. Throwoff seems on the flimsy side, but I'll live. Came with puresounds at least. 😊
What does TLC means? I think the C is for cleaning but....let me know

man, i love my Promark 808W Shira Kashi Oak sticks....are they discontinued b/c they could not source the wood anymore?
Beats me. (Pun not intended, but it made me snicker! 😁 ) They're probably just scaling back as everyone is doing currently. With those and the 707s I switched to a couple of years ago, I'd rehearse with the oak sticks and play gigs with the hickory ones.

Just ordered a 2002 20" Novo China. Not sure how much I'll get to use it but nice to have nonetheless.

View attachment 113963

I have one too and it's by far my fav china. I use it a lot and the word 'subtle' is not applicable to this china ;)

An iPad mini w/ cellular for aging mom. I figure it's gotta be better than all the spam calls she receives on her VoIP landline. Now she'll have caller ID and we can program it to sleep during night hours. Plus, no longer do I have to explain to her why she can't just hit the call button (on her current non-cellular iPad) when she see's it in her contacts or iMessage app.

I thought about getting her a 12.9 in pro model, but felt it might be a hassle to deal with for just answering a call.

I see it as just a large mobile phone. Now to wait the 5-6 weeks for it to ship (according to Apple).

$1,096.70 (256GB, 5G cellular)

EDIT: Oh, and they don't ask you which carrier you're from during checkout. So the new technology now must work for ALL, or they all moved to GSM (from CDMA), or there's even newer technology.

I have one too and it's by far my fav china. I use it a lot and the word 'subtle' is not applicable to this china ;)
Cool!

My teen has been asking for a china to be added to my DW/Paiste kit and while the 30 year old Sabian B8 Pro china I pulled out of storage has been surprisingly adequate, I wanted a proper matching cymbal. The 2002 Novo is well reviewed so I took a leap of faith and bought it. I'm glad you like yours - gives me confidence that I made a wise decision.

• Like!!
Reactions: iCe
Cool!

My teen has been asking for a china to be added to my DW/Paiste kit and while the 30 year old Sabian B8 Pro china I pulled out of storage has been surprisingly adequate, I wanted a proper matching cymbal. The 2002 Novo is well reviewed so I took a leap of faith and bought it. I'm glad you like yours - gives me confidence that I made a wise decision.

I got mine via a good b-stock sale. Someone didn't like it, returned it and the shop listed it as b-stock with a healthy €40,- discount. Had just a couple of stick marks when i got it, but when i spotted it i had to get it. Hope you will like it too! :)

EDIT: 2nd sentence didn't make any sense hehe

Last edited:
An iPad mini w/ cellular for aging mom. I figure it's gotta be better than all the spam calls she receives on her VoIP landline. Now she'll have caller ID and we can program it to sleep during night hours. Plus, no longer do I have to explain to her why she can't just hit the call button (on her current non-cellular iPad) when she see's it in her contacts or iMessage app.

I thought about getting her a 12.9 in pro model, but felt it might be a hassle to deal with for just answering a call.

I see it as just a large mobile phone. Now to wait the 5-6 weeks for it to ship (according to Apple).

$1,096.70 (256GB, 5G cellular)

EDIT: Oh, and they don't ask you which carrier you're from during checkout. So the new technology now must work for ALL, or they all moved to GSM (from CDMA), or there's even newer technology.
Nice! Will she use wired or wireless earbuds? Or just use the iPad‘s speaker?

Nice! Will she use wired or wireless earbuds? Or just use the iPad‘s speaker?
As I've become an expert on the aging adult use case, I would say speakers at this point. Charging earbuds is too cumbersome. Using them without losing them is, too. I did go for the Apple pencil though. She has an artistic side that came out in her painting some years ago. The canvas sits in the corner now. Perhaps a drawing app like Procreate, or even the built-in Notes app, will trigger her inner creative instincts.

The other challenge with these "smart" devices and the aging population is, will they make the font bigger on a bigger screen? Or will they see as an opportunity for more real-estate for advertising? My guess is the latter.

Back