Budget 6 1/2 x 14 snares that sound like Acros or Supras

Well this has been an enlightening thread. With threads like these, I always like to sum up what I learned...

1. There are really good and really bad snare drums

2. Usually the worst of them are steel, although some steel snares come off really well in recordings

3. There's a fine line between the sound of a snare that crushes gigs and a snare that crushes your will to live

And I didn't learn it in this thread, but while I'm sure it's happened to someone somewhere, I can't recall ever hearing about a drummer getting their drums stolen at a gig. So instead of rushing out at the first snare I see that looks halfway decent for $70, I am going to gig the Ludwig and just plain forget about getting another snare unless a deal so insane gets dumped in my lap.

Sorted.
Definately keep an eye out for...something. It's sometimes hard to recommend specific used drums because you never know what is out there or what it might cost in a given moment, but there are deals on great drums out there. And it's easier to grab one if you have a slightly narrowed field and some money in your pocket.

So I agree; play your Ludwig, but keep looking for your next snare too. No harm in that, right?

I actually find cheap wood snares to be generally worse than cheap steel snares. I think that steel is both economical and easy to work with and most manufacturers sell decent steel drums for less than their wood, brass and aluminum counterparts.

At any rate, gigging your Ludwig snare is the right call if it sounds best to you. I can only speak for myself but when the kit in front of me sounds good, I play better.
Ya, good point about cheap wood snares. That said, I've heard even a Glarry 6 lug wood snare sound pretty good on a demo, and now that I finally decided to replace the stocker snare side head on this Diablo snare, it still doesn't sound quite as good as my Ludwig, but it got a lot better sounding and is now actually usable as a backup.

Photos, please. Let us see your Precious.
Oh, I hate showing the closeups because of the way I ruined the badge when I stripped the finish. Well just bear in mind that I was 12 when I did it, OK?

Ludwig Standard cleaned up.JPGLudwig Standard Badge.JPGLudwig Standard Inside 1.JPG

EDIT: I need to do more recent shots, I guess. I cleaned up the finish where I missed a couple spots, and got the hardware cleaned up, although it could stand some actual chrome cleaner.

What I find amusing is, here‘s a bassist getting into drumming. He has probably modified his bass gear in some manner, as most do. He’s also probably able to take a cruddy looking 1969 P-bass and make it sing. Now he’s got an equivalent instrument. Will he reveal its inherent beauty and polish the hardware and clean the wood? Or will he keep it in stealth mode, so no one will want it?

What I find amusing is, here‘s a bassist getting into drumming. He has probably modified his bass gear in some manner, as most do. He’s also probably able to take a cruddy looking 1969 P-bass and make it sing. Now he’s got an equivalent instrument. Will he reveal its inherent beauty and polish the hardware and clean the wood? Or will he keep it in stealth mode, so no one will want it?
Nice snare. I would fully restore it if it were mine.
I've been thinking about meeting somewhere in the middle of fully restored and crapped out. There's no way I'll ever put its black and gold Duco finish back on after exposing that gorgeous birdseye maple. But I did actually clean up the hardware to a degree (unlike electric bass, it made a noticeable improvement in sound), and I'd like to clean it up as much as possible. Also toyed with the idea of replacing the hoops and badge, but real ones are way too stupid priced. The rims have a few dents but the hoops are still in round, and though I toyed with the idea of putting flanged hoops on it, I have to keep its vintage vibe intact with period correct stick killers.

EDIT: I need to do more recent shots, I guess. I cleaned up the finish where I missed a couple spots, and got the hardware cleaned up, although it could stand some actual chrome cleaner.
Aluminum foil ball dipped in warm water for chrome. A chemical reaction happens between the chrome and aluminum. The water turns into a white paste and removes dirt and surface rust. When it turns brown, repeat. It will not fix pitting, nor will it restore the chrome, only clean it. A clean rag to wipe it off and you are done. The results are fantastic.

Aluminium foil is softer than chrome so it will not scratch it.

Jimmy
I was in your place decades ago. I constantly searched for drums that were cheaper that I bought to try and capture the vibe of the snares drums I truly wanted . I ended up selling them quickly because I realized that being patient and saving for what I really truly wanted was a far better course of action .

Get what you want - scour Craigslist and Reverb for a used Acrolite or Supraphonic , you can find one for something on your budget . Check the local want ads . Post a wanted thread . You can find one I am sure . Don’t cheap out and buy a poor copy of what you really truly want .

Jimmy
I was in your place decades ago. I constantly searched for drums that were cheaper that I bought to try and capture the vibe of the snares drums I truly wanted . I ended up selling them quickly because I realized that being patient and saving for what I really truly wanted was a far better course of action .

Get what you want - scour Craigslist and Reverb for a used Acrolite or Supraphonic , you can find one for something on your budget . Check the local want ads . Post a wanted thread . You can find one I am sure . Don’t cheap out and buy a poor copy of what you really truly want .
Actually, if I were smart, I'd sell my Ludwig and use my cred as a longtime pro to defend the DDrum as an artistic choice and not a cheapskate choice :D

This is the answer to your question Jimmy. Tama SLP Dry Aluminium. Sounds just like an Acro/Supra, but much cheaper (and better built IMO).
Looks like an Acro kind of, for sure. Why do you say better built, though?

Looks like an Acro kind of, for sure. Why do you say better built, though?
I prefer the Tama strainer over the Ludwig. I think all other elements are near-equal. There’s no mention anywhere what kind of aluminum alloy is used, either.

So instead of rushing out at the first snare I see that looks halfway decent for $70, I am going to gig the Ludwig and just plain forget about getting another snare unless a deal so insane gets dumped in my lap.

Sorted.
Time is on your side, really. And you'll be able to get out there, and see IF you really want an Acro, or a Supra (or a clone of). Your Luddie is perfectly good, as a main snare. You have a back-up, which you may never need.

Bad sounding snares (I think) are always either wood or steel. By the time companies get into the technology (and price) of dealing with aluminum or brass .... they're usually at a price point where they need to be making a good sounding instrument.

Hopefully ..... that insane deal will come your way. Or .... you'll just break down, and spend a few more bucks, and get another killer snare.;)

Got one of these on sale for less than 200 new a few years back.
Really great sounding drum that seems to sound well in every room. I did need to fit luck locks on all the rods. such is the way with tube lugs
That's a very attractive snare, and you're not the first to rave about their value to me. But dang, I really do dislike tube lugs. What can I tell you?

Back