Midlife Crisis: Back to Pearl?

We were wondering/concerned about you Mr. Jones!
Thanks for the sentiment. I've received several messages in that regard. It certainly wasn't my intent to cause alarm. I just needed a retreat from screens and keyboards, so I logged out on January 4 and didn't return until yesterday. Should I ever decide to repeat that maneuver, I'll precede my exit with an explanatory note, though I don't anticipate ducking out again anytime soon. The break was reviving and should sustain me for quite a while.

Thanks for the sentiment. I've received several messages in that regard. It certainly wasn't my intent to cause alarm. I just needed a retreat from screens and keyboards, so I logged out on January 4 and didn't return until yesterday. Should I ever decide to repeat that maneuver, I'll precede my exit with an explanatory note, though I don't anticipate ducking out again anytime soon. The break was reviving and should sustain me for quite a while.
Ok.... but us Pearl Patriots have to stick together!

I lucked out, and bought my dream kit - 1994 Pearl Master Custom maple - new in 1994, and have never looked back.
set1.jpg

set3.jpg

I grew up playing on my dads 1955 Ludwig 4 piece. Imagine trying to be Neil Peart, Clive Burr, Phil Eheart or Alex Van Halen on a 4 piece jazz kit from the 50's...not cool. (bit i DID know what that kit meant, and was worth at the time, and also played jazz on it, which made me feel closer to Joe Morello...)

I did not have to come back to Pearl. I still use it - and the 55 Ludwig - to this day.

My midlife crisis happened at around age 42, and it was getting back into BMX biking...much to my step sons delight, and my wife's dismay...still do that to this day as well

You did what I'm contemplating doing. Of all the "socials" of today I'm on 3: This one, the Usual Suspects Network & very limited Facebook (only because fellow retirees & out of town family use it).

I've had this desire to just run & hide lately and feel taking a short break from all outside media influence might be a good thing.
Seemed to work well for you @C.M. Jones. Maybe we all should follow your example, yeah?

You did what I'm contemplating doing. Of all the "socials" of today I'm on 3: This one, the Usual Suspects Network & very limited Facebook (only because fellow retirees & out of town family use it).

I've had this desire to just run & hide lately and feel taking a short break from all outside media influence might be a good thing.
Seemed to work well for you @C.M. Jones. Maybe we all should follow your example, yeah?
This forum is the only branch of "social media" I participate in. I've never used Facebook, Twitter, or any other domain. I can't imagine having multiple accounts to oversee. That would entail far more time than I want to spend online.

For me, logging out for a while isn't about avoiding communication but rather disengaging from monitors and keyboards. Backing off from the computer reinvigorates me. I don't know that everyone needs to do it, but I find it quite rewarding.

For me, logging out for a while isn't about avoiding communication but rather disengaging from monitors and keyboards. Backing off from the computer reinvigorates me. I don't know that everyone needs to do it, but I find it quite rewarding.
I think it would more than most realize, but I definitely see your point. I call it "Unplugging" to cleanse my soul of the wretchedness of humanity I see everyday on any form of media.
May this inspire others to do it & focus it on their instrument!

I might disappear next week and tinker with my new snare…:unsure:
New snare? Is this a development I missed during my recent forum break? Please fill me in.

Edit: Just found your Worldmax snare in another thread. Lovely instrument. Hope it's working out for you.

Last edited:
My first kit was a bill hyde 4 piece in 1975 at the age of13 I had them for 7 years then I gave up for a while when I started again my next kit was a pearl export and so on then I went to sonor and today I use sonor sorry to say but in my own opinions I would not go back to pearl drums everyone to there own.

I don’t know if anyone else has experienced this “phenomenon,” but I’m finding myself being strangely pulled back to the first drum company set I played.

In high school in the eighties, I got my first ever drum set, a black Pearl Export. After years of playing that kit, I eventually got to play some higher end kits, and I grew to dislike Pearl mainly because of their tom mounts, which I hated in the eighties (there was no way to position a 10x12 tom over a 22 kick comfortably!).

Now, nearing my fifties, I’m finding myself being drawn back to Pearl. Looking at 20/14/12 kits in Reference, Masters Maple Complete, MRV.

Is there a medical explanation for this?

Nothing wrong with this. Just make sure to play before you buy. As we age, our tastes change as do our ears for instruments. What may once have been an excellent-sounding drum can fall short once revisited.

I had a terrible experience with my Tama Rockstars from the early 90s. I used to love the sound of that drum set. I learned, played, and traveled with it for 10 years. Then I got my first pro drum set, and I gave my Tamas away. I ended up getting them back after having owned a few other drum sets. I brought them back home and tried to play them, and they sounded terrible. They don't sound as good as they used to to my ears. I've tried different heads and tunings, and they don't hold a candle to any other set that I have owned since then.

With that said, Pearls are solid drums, and if there should be no problem returning to that brand. They make an incredible instrument. I own a Pearl Vision birch set, and they get a lot more action than my Rockstars do, that's for sure.

My first kit back around '91 was a Pearl Export and I still have it as a practice kit. It's been across the country and played on a lot of outdoor shows and is still in great shape except for one tom hoop that the chrome is peeling. I upgraded to a Masters MRX kit in the early 2000s and had quite a few Pearl snares, but I fell in love with "That Great Gretsch Sound" around 2008 and haven't looked back. However, I've continued to use Pearl hardware and kept up with their latest offerings in case I'm ever in the market for an alternative (the Crystal Beats are tempting). And if I ever win the lottery I'm getting a Masterworks kit!

Back