INTRODUCTIONS: Please Use This Thread To Introduce Yourself!

Hello everyone! Thank you for having me! I'm really looking forward to reading the posts here and having discussions with you all. Thanks again! Tim

Real name? Tim
Age? 45
How long have you been playing? 1 month
Origin of user name? My name is Tim and I live in Arizona, USA
Your top 5 drummers? Art Blakey, Ringo Starr, Butch Norton (Lucinda Williams)
Make of drumkit? Alesis Crimson II
Make of cymbal? Alesis Crimson II
Where do you practice? My house
Are you in a band? No
Do you play covers or originals? Still practicing technique
What style of music? 1. Classic Rock 2. Jazz 3. Pop
Favourite take out food? I don't eat take out food anymore but it used to be In & Out Burger
What country do you live in? U.S.A.
One really odd fact about yourself? I explore abandoned mines
How did you start drumming? I was debating starting piano lessons again and said to hell with that I'd rather be a drummer

How did you start drumming? I was debating starting piano lessons again and said to hell with that I'd rather be a drummer
This is the attitude of a drummer. I hope you enjoy the journey. If you encounter any problems or don’t know how to do something (tune your bass drum, work on paradiddles) post up your questions here. Members will flood the forum with answers and suggestions.

Real name? Etienne
Age? 34
How long have you been playing? on and off for 8 years
Origin of user name? nothing terribly creative there, just thought it was cute
Your top 5 4 drummers? Janet Weiss, Marian Li Pino, Stella Mozgawa, Sir David of Grohl
Make of drum kit? PDP New Yorker, just a little guy
Make of cymbal? due to Chicago apartment living I'm currently using Zildjian Low-Volumes, but I'm salivating for some "real" cymbals. overwhelmed with the options 😖
Where do you practice? mostly in my apartment (I use Remo Silentstrokes), but I'll rent a few hours at one of the local practice/studio spaces to get behind a better kit from time to time
Are you in a band? no, but I am for hire and play one-offs from time to time. I'm kind of shying away from performing right now
Do you play covers or originals? both
What style of music? good question. hah. punk, "indie", "art rock", post-punk, r&b, and I'm ready to dabble with some jazz techniques
Favorite take out food? Vietnamese
What country do you live in? USA
One odd fact about yourself? an odd fact about myself is that I'm severely overthinking the phrasing of this prompt! 🥲
How did you start drumming? in my mid-20s I really wanted to be in a punk band, and it seemed like literally everyone was looking for a drummer. I had been playing guitar (poorly) since 8th grade and dabbling in bass. the drummer of my best friend's band quit to go work on a boat, so I figured it was finally time for me to learn drums. excellent learning experience. I didn't get very good (by my own impossible standards) before the band broke up and I didn't play regularly for several years after that -- only gotten heavily back into it in the last couple of years, since I've made some other big changes in my life

Real name? Hi I'm Tom

Age? 30

How long have you been playing? 3 months

Origin of user name? a stupid meme song (Mans not hot)

Your top 5 drummers? Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, Chris Thatcher, Lars Ulrich, Blake Richardson

Make of drumkit? TKO rack and floor tom, cobalt river marching band tom zip tied to the rack cause I oopsied,
Ludwig kick, yamaha rock tour snare.

Make of cymbal? No name Pearl Hi Hats that's gots to go, Sabian B8 14" thin and 17" crashes, Meinl HSC 20" ride and the ole Zildjan Scimitar crash/ride on the floor that I'm thinking of drilling holes in to make a quick trash out of.

Where do you practice? A spare room in a 2 bedroom apartment in a triplex. Really cool neighbors.

Are you in a band? No but I pretend to do solo stuff.

Do you play covers or originals? Both

What style of music? Metal, folk punk, punk, rock, and jazz has been fascination very recently.

Favourite take out food? Indian, especially NYC style street meat

What country do you live in? Michigan, United States

One really odd fact about yourself? My elementary teachers still talk about me doing the hula, coconuts and all in like 3rd grade.

How did you start drumming? Guy at work sold me a snare, rack, floor and kick for $30 and I've always wanted to play them. A few months and few hundred bucks later, here I am starting to feel ok. Still need some better gear but I'm a hi hat pair away from it and as bad as I am still, I'm swell.

Real name? Hi I'm Tom

Age? 30

How long have you been playing? 3 months

Origin of user name? a stupid meme song (Mans not hot)

Your top 5 drummers? Neil Peart, Mike Portnoy, Chris Thatcher, Lars Ulrich, Blake Richardson

Make of drumkit? TKO rack and floor tom, cobalt river marching band tom zip tied to the rack cause I oopsied,
Ludwig kick, yamaha rock tour snare.

Make of cymbal? No name Pearl Hi Hats that's gots to go, Sabian B8 14" thin and 17" crashes, Meinl HSC 20" ride and the ole Zildjan Scimitar crash/ride on the floor that I'm thinking of drilling holes in to make a quick trash out of.

Where do you practice? A spare room in a 2 bedroom apartment in a triplex. Really cool neighbors.

Are you in a band? No but I pretend to do solo stuff.

Do you play covers or originals? Both

What style of music? Metal, folk punk, punk, rock, and jazz has been fascination very recently.

Favourite take out food? Indian, especially NYC style street meat

What country do you live in? Michigan, United States

One really odd fact about yourself? My elementary teachers still talk about me doing the hula, coconuts and all in like 3rd grade.

How did you start drumming? Guy at work sold me a snare, rack, floor and kick for $30 and I've always wanted to play them. A few months and few hundred bucks later, here I am starting to feel ok. Still need some better gear but I'm a hi hat pair away from it and as bad as I am still, I'm swell.

welcome to it from an Ohio guy who could really care less about the Buckeyes!!

my wife is from Trenton...we vacay up near Rose City and South Branch a lot...will retire to MI one day I think. Where R U from?

Real name? Roberto
Age? 52
How long have you been playing? I am just getting started! I have had one lesson and just ordered my first drum kit.
Origin of user name? When I started playing guitar the internet was just starting to happen. I had no idea that it was going to take over everything, but I belonged to a few online guitar forums - I was/am obsessed with the early blues and ragtime/jazz guitarists and they all had names like "blind willie" "blind lemon" etc. I'm blind in one eye so I started calling myself Blind Robert (only online, not as a performer!). I just stuck with it because it is never taken by someone else.
Your top 5 4 drummers? David Grohl, Charlie Watts, Ringo, Bonham, Peart
Make of drum kit? Ludwig Classic Maple - I just ordered it, it should hopefully be here in the next week. Perhaps the only advantage to starting to learn drums in your 50's is that you can afford a decent instrument.
Make of cymbal? I had no idea really what to get or what I'd discover I liked playing, so I ordered a box set of Zildjian Custom K hybrids. That'll get me started.
Where do you practice? I have a good size shop and studio where I practice/play music. It has plenty of space for a drum kit and is climate controlled (important in Texas!)
Are you in a band? No. I used to sit in with the local old time jam sessions, but Covid put a stop to that. And that was always guitar/banjo, not drums.
Do you play covers or originals? We'll see!
What style of music? I love everything from punk rock to jazz and country
Favorite take out food? Thai, extra spicy
What country do you live in? USA
One odd fact about yourself? I used to invent magic tricks for a living.
How did you start drumming? I have always been interested; a few friends my age who started drumming recently were encouraging, I had the space and the budget so I figured it was time to get going.

Last edited:
”Invent”? As in, create a new, totally different matic trick for a professional magician? And then get paid? This is a thing?
Well - in truth there are only really maybe a dozen magic effects: 1) The thing Vanishes/Appears (this is most coin tricks and many card tricks), 2) the thing is broken and repaired/restored, 3) the card is lost then found again, 4) the thing goes through the other thing, 5) the thing floats/flys, 6)The future is predicted, 7) I know your thoughts/read your mind, 8) Thing thing changes to another thing (a blue card becomes a red card, a flower becomes a bird)...et cetera. There are endless tricks, but they are almost all repackaging of these concepts. I worked with a friend to invent new ways of doing various effects listed above. A famous magician used one of our tricks on a TV show and so yeah, we got paid pretty well (not by the magician, but by the volume of sales that followed). But we also sold tricks at conventions and made books/videos/etc.

Well - in truth there are only really maybe a dozen magic effects: 1) The thing Vanishes/Appears (this is most coin tricks and many card tricks), 2) the thing is broken and repaired/restored, 3) the card is lost then found again, 4) the thing goes through the other thing, 5) the thing floats/flys, 6)The future is predicted, 7) I know your thoughts/read your mind, 8) Thing thing changes to another thing (a blue card becomes a red card, a flower becomes a bird)...et cetera. There are endless tricks, but they are almost all repackaging of these concepts. I worked with a friend to invent new ways of doing various effects listed above. A famous magician used one of our tricks on a TV show and so yeah, we got paid pretty well (not by the magician, but by the volume of sales that followed). But we also sold tricks at conventions and made books/videos/etc.
Very cool. I didn’t know there are ghost writers for magicians.

Did you ever see Keith Moon’s magic trick? He makes Pete Townsend’s hearing disappear.

Real name? Emiliano
Age? 43
How long have you been playing? 1 year
Origin of user name? One of my favourite bands of all time: The Descendents
Your top 5 drummers? Neal Peart, Stewart Copeland, Steve Gadd, Bill Stevenson, Topper Headon
Make of drumkit? DW/PDP
Make of cymbal? Zildjian
Where do you practice? Home studio, rehearsal room
Are you in a band? No
Do you play covers or originals? Covers
What style of music? Rock, punk
Favourite take out food? Pizza
What country do you live in? Italy
One really odd fact about yourself? I'm ambidextrous
How did you start drumming? I started during the Covid pandemic. I wanted to try something new after playing guitar for 20+ years, bass for 3 years. I also played piano during junior high school and I'm a former professional singer. According to my parents, I'm a natural drummer. When I was just a little kid I couldn't stop bashing on stuff and spent hours learning drum parts, mostly from Queen and Michael Jackson albums. I guess you never forget your first love, right?

The first "Introduction" thread lasted six years (!), went for 61 pages, had thousands of posts, and as of today had over one hundred and eighty thousand views. Time to put the old girl out to pasture. This is the new "Introduction" thread. Let's see if it makes it another six years!

*************************************************​

Welcome to the DrummerWorld forum. Please use this thread to introduce yourself. Answer the following questions (all optional), and let us know about you.

Real name?
Age?
How long have you been playing?
Origin of user name?
Your top 5 drummers?
Make of drumkit?
Make of cymbal?
Where do you practice?
Are you in a band?
Do you play covers or originals?
What style of music?
Favourite take out food?
What country do you live in?
One really odd fact about yourself?
How did you start drumming?

Copy and paste these questions into your reply and let's learn about each other.
Hello everyone. I'm returning to this site after a long break. I must say i'm finding the people on here to be very positive and nice unlike a lot of other social sites. Keep it up you guys. great x

Real name? Jonathan

Age? 52

How long have you been playing? since age 9. 43 ish years.

Origin of user name? ... my name.

Your top 5 drummers? 1. William Kennedy. 2. Vinnie Colaiuta. 3. Virgil Donati. 4. Gary Novak. 5. Eric Moore?

Make of drumkit? Yamaha. Ludwig snares.

Make of cymbal? Zildjian. Sabian.

Where do you practice? At home on pad and at my drum room (another address) for the kit

Are you in a band? several bands before lockdown.

Do you play covers or originals? both

What style of music? mainly jazz and fusion

Favourite take out food? italian

What country do you live in? uk

One really odd fact about yourself? I stopped gigging at lockdown and now i'm turning down all gigs in favour of rebuilding my drumming in the practice room. Trying to build a frankenstein monster.

How did you start drumming? A high school band came to play at my little school and the drummer just blew my mind.

Real name? Stacey. Not a girl, by the way :)

Age? 52

How long have you been playing? 2 months

Origin of user name? I have a double barrelled surname which people alway mis-pronounce, and some friends jokingly mis-pronounced my first name and called me Stackie. Got shortened to Stack and stuck.

Your top 5 drummers? Too many to choose, but most recently very impressed with Nic Collins during the recent Genesis tour.

Make of drumkit? Alesis Nitro mesh with expansion pack.

Make of cymbal? Alesis

Where do you practice? In my house (dining room).

Are you in a band? No.

Do you play covers or originals? Covers.

What style of music? Rock.

Favourite take out food? Pizza.

What country do you live in? England.

One really odd fact about yourself? I don't really have any odd facts to reveal, at least not on a public forum!

How did you start drumming? Admired drummers for years at various gigs, and finally decided to give it a go, albeit with a budget neighbour-friendly kit. I'm an excellent air drummer so it must be easy, right? :oops:

Hi everyone. I thought it was time to learn a new skill (old dog, new tricks), so after years of wondering if I could carry a beat I bought a Nitro mesh kit. Absolutely love it, and while I'll never be a gigging drummer I'm making up for my lack of talent with buckets of enthusiasm.

Last edited:
Howdy cats! Not exactly sure why it's taken me so long to join this site.

Martin B is my name.

53 in May - My GAWD how time flies! :eek:

Been playing since I was about 9 y.o.

My username: binderline is a bit of a play (using my last name)

My top 5 drummers (in no particular order): Carter Beauford, Larnell Lewis, Dave Weckl, Benny Greb, Jimmy Branly

My Drumkit: Gretsch, Renown Maple

My Cymbals: Zildjian K, Constantinople

My Practice Space: Home drum shed (a.k.a. the Drum Box)

Band: Yes

Covers or originals: Both

Style: Latin Jazz

Favorite Take Out Food: Italian or Mexican

Country of Residence (and birth): USA

Odd fact: Hate the color pink.

How did you start drumming? On big plastic bin-type clothes hampers (they used to make them in the '70s. My 3 brothers and I each had our own. So, I would regularly dump the dirty clothes out on the floor and set them up like a drumset.).

Taken 12/31/21 New Years Eve Gig - Golden State Theater, Downtown Monterey, CA
20211231_215129.jpg20211231_215209.jpg

Hi folks!

Real name? - Huw Owens
Age? - 56
How long have you been playing? - started at age 8, played solidly through until early 20's at music college. 30 year break, started again a couple of months ago.
Origin of user name? - Given by my parents!
Your top 5 drummers? - Today? Rich, Moon, Bonham, Starr, Copeland (tomorrow someone else)
Make of drumkit? - 1960's Premier
Make of cymbal? - Zildjian
Where do you practice? - on the bandstand, or in my head
Are you in a band? - Two: both jazz, a big band & a quintet
Do you play covers or originals? - covers, but it's jazz so we call them "standards" ;)
What style of music? - these days, jazz
Favourite take out food? - Curry
What country do you live in? - UK
One really odd fact about yourself? - I can touch my nose with my tounge.
How did you start drumming? - saw Buddy Rich on TV back in the 1970's, wanted to do "that", signed up for lessons at school, the rest is (ancient) history...

:)

Hello everyone, really glad to be here.

Real name?
Jacob Liford

Age?

26 years

Origin of user name?
After hearing and watching so many legends play I realized I'm a pretty basic drummer average at best. Thus the idea was born and I ran with it.

Your top 5 drummers?
Mike Palmer, Rich Redmond, Neil Peart, Jonathan Moffett, Buddy Rich

Make of drumkit?
Alesis

Make of cymbal?
Alesis

Where do you practice?
Home

Are you in a band?
Not anymore (long story)

Do you play covers or originals?
Covers

What style of music?
Mainly country/rock

Favorite take out food?
Pizza could eat a good pizza everyday.

What country do you live in?
United States

One really odd fact about yourself?
Just one LOL. I am very awkward when talking to new people in person. So much so it's uncomfortable at times.

How did you start drumming?
When I was in middle school the band director came around to each class wanting to recruit members. I was never any good at sports period so I thought I would check into it. I originally wanted to play saxophone but the instrument was to expensive and we could not afford it. The school provided drums so I decided to go with that. Looking back I'm really glad it worked out that way. My first drum set was made out of saw blades for cymbals, a garbage can for the kick drum with a fabricated kick pedal, two five gallon buckets for a snare and floor tom, and two blocks of wood for rack toms. Great memories.

Attachments

• 605BD640-76BD-42E9-B848-0403EEFB4D67_1_201_a.jpeg
    605BD640-76BD-42E9-B848-0403EEFB4D67_1_201_a.jpeg
    640.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Real name? Jon
Age? 27, on the cusp of 28
How long have you been playing? 16 years
Origin of user name? From another Forum I use, it's mostly made up of my initials
Your top 5 drummers? Mitchell, Moon, Bonham, Rich, Krupa (could easily make up a top 15 though)
Make of drumkit? A Pearl, a Vintage Premier and a Gretsch, will tomorrow own a Ludwig Supraphonic
Make of cymbal? Sabian HH's and AAX Hi Hat
Where do you practice? In me and my GF's house, need to get a bigger house that can hold three kits though
Are you in a band? I'm in two, both in my signature
Do you play covers or originals? All originals
What style of music? Rock, but I like a bit of Hip Hop also
Favourite take out food? Chinese
What country do you live in? The UK
One really odd fact about yourself? I cannot stand Yamaha Drums, I don't know why as every kit I've played has been a good kit. Just cannot stand them for some reason....Maybe I was dropped on my head on one of their kits as a small boy.. I don't know
How did you start drumming? Just really started to take note of the instrument, then decided I wanted to learn. Played on Pillows in between lessons for nearly a year until I could purchase my first kit. Haven't looked back since.
Just curious what's changed since 2011....

Just curious what's changed since 2011....

Oh wow, that’s a blast from the past. A whole 10 years nearly.

Changes to my list are below.

Real name? My name is still Jon

Age? 38

Now 26 years (?)

Your top 5 drummers?
If I had to say only five these days it would be: Elvin, Tony Williams, Peart, Ringo and Mitchell
Make of drumkit?
Pearl
Vintage Premier,
Vintage Slingerland
DW Collectors Series.

Long since sold the Gretsch.

Where do you practice? Pretty much only
at the Rehearsal Room

Are you in a band? I'm in one, now dad duties take up more of my time now we have a near 2 year old. More of a hobby now.

Do you play covers or originals
Now Covers

Back